Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Poor old Russell

Having just watched the post match interview with R S it's clear to see he looks like a broken man already. Only one game in and the enormity of the job has finally hit him. I was at gigg lane yesterday and for large parts of the game we were terrible. Two weeks ago Russell said we need six or seven players in, a week later he's talking about four or five and yesterday he's saying one or two, he now knows he has no chance of getting the players in that we need and he is having to deal with it. I think R S is a good manager and a decent bloke but what chance has he got working for RD and KM. I will amazed if he sticks around for much longer.

Comments

• Didn't he say 5/6 and since then Crofts, Rudd, Pearce and Foley have come in?

Biggest problem for me now is the lack of attacking options, mainly wingers and strikers, though we could do with a different type of player in central midfield.

Think he might get 1 or 2 more but they'll be squad players. RD won't want expensive back up players sitting on the bench. Would explain why we're bidding £100k or so for a player like Magennis.

I feel more sorry for the u21s that will soon be thrown into the team before they're ready for regular games. Slade must have had an idea of what he was getting into. The u21s have come through at a time when they'll get a chance but whether they're good or ready enough is irrelevant.
  • He knew what he was getting into. I think the 3 year contract maybe the reason he took the job.
    With the current setup we will not be able to sign decent players they don't want to come here. We are a bad smell at present and that's why we have nobody's from the Indian league playing for us.
    Poor old Rus was aware of the goings on at Charlton well before he met the owner, the whole world knew we are a basket case of a club but still he signed up for it.
    We are now on for a race to the bottom with this weirdly unique mob.
  • He can't say he wasn't warned. Still early days, but starting to think my prediction that he'd walk by Hallowe'en is actually a little generous.
  • edited August 2016
    I think it's obvious that the support he thought he was going to get he has had to fight tooth and nail for.

I don't know why so many of you think that he too hasnt been lied to. I'm sure he had a good idea of what went on before but the small snippets that RS has let out are to me an indication that he is amazed at the lack of professionalism he inherited and the enormity of the task.

I don't doubt that he was spun a line of how they now realise what they did wasn't working and that he was the man to steer them back up. You will have control Russell. He has been duped.

I think you can certainly accuse Slade of being nieve but I think he's a victim here just like all the others. He seems to me to be an honest hard working straightforward bloke that's found himself working for complete twunts and it has only just really dawned on him.

I don't think he'll resign soonish because I just don't think that's in his makeup to walk away from a battle.

One thing is certain. This is going to get a lot lot worse. Please God that cabbie and Rio are not a windup although I suspect they were.
  • 3blokes said:

You have to wonder, if Roly reads this site and sees the pain and damage he is causing, what is so missing in his life that he is prepared to inflict such misery on so many people from the comfort of his sofa many miles away.
    Something missing in the man. There can be no justification for what he is doing. He has more money than he will ever need. He has power and influence. This wanton destruction of a club and community that has never done him any harm is just the the action of a man with no calibre whatsoever.
    He is simply not worth anything. His money, his views, his legacy.
    Worth nothing.

Said it before, the fella is a sadist. He genuinely gets a perverted kick out of what he and her are doing to the club and fans at present. He doesn't give a toss that he will lose his money because, at present, he is playing a game with us/the club because it turns him on! The more we throw at him, the more stubborn he will become until he eventually gets bored with it all.

Was in Skiathos recently and met a bunch of Belgian Scouts who were on a hiking trip. A few were in football (Liege) shirts so I had a quick chat (in my best English) with them. Interestingly, they were fully aware of our plight and wished us luck in trying to get rid of the stubborn, senile old fool. They (obviously) despised the old idiot and genuinely felt sorry for us.

It's almost criminal that he can get away with what he is doing to Chartlon Athletic!
  • I think it's obvious that the support he thought he was going to get he has had to fight tooth and nail for.

I don't know why so many of you think that he too hasnt been lied to. I'm sure he had a good idea of what went on before but the small snippets that RS has let out are to me an indication that he is amazed at the lack of professionalism he inherited and the enormity of the task.

I don't doubt that he was spun a line of how they now realise what they did wasn't working and that he was the man to steer them back up. You will have control Russell. He has been duped.

I think you can certainly accuse Slade of being nieve but I think he's a victim here just like all the others. He seems to me to be an honest hard working straightforward bloke that's found himself working for complete twunts and it has only just really dawned on him.

I don't think he'll resign soonish because I just don't think that's in his makeup to walk away from a battle.

One thing is certain. This is going to get a lot lot worse. Please God that cabbie and Rio are not a windup although I suspect they were.

I agree with much of what you say, but you have to question his judgement when he walks out on a club owned by a madman only to join another in a similar situation.

I never wanted Slade, but I'm more than happy to give him time to make his mark. I'm not ready to hit the panic button and call for his head after only his first competitive game, it is going to take some time to get things right, particularly with the ever changing squad he has inherited. The problem, as I see it, is unless he is given the tools, he will struggle, and this regime has consistently showed they they are unwilling to give any of their managers the budget and players that are fit for the division they are playing in.

As a result I fear it will be business as usual under this regime where we can barely keep our heads above water due to having a squad that is just not up to standard.