Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympics: Favourite Moments

2»

Comments

• Options
    Phelps breaking spitz's record and the clean sweep of golds in Beijing has got to be there amongst the ones already mentioned
  • Options
    I love Olympic boxing and especially the Cubans. Stevenson and Savon winning their heavyweight golds are very memorable.

But that golden Saturday night four years ago tops everything for me - I literally lost my voice shouting home Mo!
  • Options
    Rebecca Adlington and Kelly Holmes Olympic achievements are highlights for me.

Loved the Coe and Ovett era of running.
  • Options
    mr.se7 said:

Phelps breaking spitz's record and the clean sweep of golds in Beijing has got to be there amongst the ones already mentioned

The photo finish race he had was incredible.
  • Options
    Too many to name but here are some

Mary Peters winning the penthalon in 1972
    Tessa Sanderson's tears of joy when she won the javelin
    Daly Thomson because he was great
    Coe/Ovett 1980
    The men's coxless four with Redgrave and Pinsett in 2000...what a race
    Super Saturday in 2012

Could go on and on I love the Olympics because I get into sports that I would never normally watch.
  • Options
    Daley Thompson taunting Carl Lewis with his "Is the world's 2nd greatest athlete gay?" T-shirt. Wouldn't get away with it, now.

Zola Budd's slide tackle on Mary Decker-Slaney

Greg Louganis smashing his head on the diving board

Pretty much every British success, in 2012 (and prior)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    The boat race when our pair came from nowhere to pip the Italian brothers on the line.
  • Options
    It was the Searle brothers and the cox was Gary Herbert

beat the Abernagle (sp) brothers - amazing race.
  • Options
    Ben Johnson 1988 Seoul.
    Yes I know...but christ he was quick.
  • Options
    92 and Linford Christie, going absolutely mental when he won the 100m.

Everything about 2012, managed to unite a Country and show us what we can do together.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Derek Redmond by a mile. That sums up what the Olympics stands for for me. '92 was my first proper Olympics. Waking up at 8am on a school holidays to watch it then turning the tv off because it was swimming!

Eric the Ell, Cathy Freeman, Chris Boardman, Linford Christie and Usain Bolt honourable mentions.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Ben Johnson 1988 Seoul.

I was almost going to mention this one.
    At the time of the race it was one of my absolute favourite Olympic moments.
    He absolutely destroyed the supremely talented Carl Lewis in an absolutely awesome race.
    Took sadistic pleasure in the moment of the vain Lewis's humbling.

What happened after cut me to the bone. What a bastard.
    And how dare he rob Lewis of his moment, his lifes work, what would arguably be the greatest of his many triumphs.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Ben Johnson 1988 Seoul.

He absolutely destroyed the supremely talented Carl Lewis in an absolutely awesome race.

And how dare he rob Lewis of his moment, his lifes work, what would arguably be the greatest of his many triumphs.
    Shouldn't worry too much Lewis failed tests too. Johnson to this day doesn't think he did anything wrong on account that they were all at it - he might have a point ... (not my view though).

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2003/apr/24/athletics.duncanmackay
  • Options
    I know it's a bit cheesy, but Eddie Edwards waving and doing his chimp grin at the crowd from the top of the ski slope. It didn't matter that he was crap, he was doing his best and loved every second of it. Olympic spirit personified.
  • Options
    Honourable mention for our very own Gemma Gibbons in 2012. Not really for mouthing 'I love you mum ' which in itself was very moving, but her demeanour, her body language, her attitude and approach as she stepped up to the plate for that medal winning bout was awesome.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Ben Johnson 1988 Seoul.

Shouldn't worry too much Lewis failed tests too. Johnson to this day doesn't think he did anything wrong on account that they were all at it - he might have a point ... (not my view though).

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2003/apr/24/athletics.duncanmackay
    That's interesting Raith.
    Can't believe I didn't know or had forgotten about Lewis's own misdemeanours.
    Kind of kills the feeling I had that he was hard done by.
    Doesn't make me feel any better about Johnson though.
  • Options

The boat race when our pair came from nowhere to pip the Italian brothers on the line.

Greg & Johnny Searle of Molesey beat the Abegnale brothers. Interesting there is an Abegnale in the coxless pairs for Italy in Rio. A son I'd guess. Greg later raced in the Americas Cup.
  • Options
    Currently cheering myself up watching the womens beach volleyball ;-)
  • Options

Greg & Johnny Searle of Molesey beat the Abegnale brothers. Interesting there is an Abegnale in the coxless pairs for Italy in Rio. A son I'd guess. Greg later raced in the Americas Cup.
    According to Redgrave not a relative but does seem a coincidence.

• Options
    Being in the Velodrome in 2012 when Dame Sarah Storey caught the Polish rider in the individual pursuit. Never seen it done at that level, and if the roof could have come off that night the crowd would have done it.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Beckboy said:

Currently cheering myself up watching the womens beach volleyball ;-)

Pfner Pfner.
  • Options
    I didn't post on this thread before as I couldn't think of a real standout moment amongst all the great ones. However the On This Day thingy on Facebook has just popped up with my status from 4 years ago today

'Bolt doing the mobot may just be my fave Olympic moment ever, one legend showing ultimate respect to another'
  • Options
    The hockey team in 88.
  • Options
    GB mens hockey playing rush goalie to try and stay in competition.