Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Russell Slade Press Conference - 4th August 2016

124»

Comments

• Options
    Nice to finally have someone from the club not talking total bullshit in press conferences. I bet the regime are struggling to deal with Slade. He's everything they are not mainly professional. Have high hopes that he will do what's required on the pitch, we need to continue to do what's required off of it.
  • Options
    I think RS wants his creativity to come from the wings.

Therefore, the predominance of holding midfielders, who's job is to win the ball back quickly, and get the ball out wide.

He has pretty much played 2 holding midfielders in every pre-season game. Even when he employed 3 centre backs.
  • Options

I like what I hear, but if he is powerless to stop the sale of our best players, it is meaningless. Sounds to me that Taxiera and Harriet will be next out the door.

No it's not, as long as he retains who he wants. We need to be realistic.
    So it's OK if he is powerless to stop the sale of our best players as long as he can retain who he wants. Gotcha.
    You need to be realistic. A team relegated to League 1 was always going to lose JBG, Makienok, Watt, Reza, Sarr, Vetokele, Cousins, Henderson, Bergditch, Fanni, Suk Young, Motta, Sanogo & Poyet (plus others).

I should have had a bet if you think any of these were ever going to stay.

Any relegated club would have lost them players be it through the player wanting to leave, or the wages being too high etc etc.

I'm not defending RD/KM in the slightest, but you can't fly in the face of common sense.

Now, if they start getting rid of the players Slade has just signed then that's another matter.

As for queensland suggesting Slade didn't want JBG or Cousins to stay, it's rather irrelevant.

As if someone that's just played in the Euros & has offers from a Prem side is going to want to stay, leave off.

Likewise Cousins, twice POTY and Brighton come in and offer him a load more money and an escape and you think he wanted to stay ?

Like I say we need to be realistic here. It's the real world, not football manager.

That's exactly what I meant when I said "I accept it may have been impossible to keep the first two". Then I get accused of not living in the real world and being unrealistic! I don't think it would have been unrealistic to fight to hang on to Pope.
    My point it simply that if you want to stop the continuous downward spiral, at some point you need to stop selling off all your better players, replacing them with aging, worse players. When that day arrives, we may start making some progress to the up side.
  • Options

I like what I hear, but if he is powerless to stop the sale of our best players, it is meaningless. Sounds to me that Taxiera and Harriet will be next out the door.

No it's not, as long as he retains who he wants. We need to be realistic.
    Are you suggesting he didn't want to retain Gudmundson, Cousins or Pope? If you continually sell off your best players, you go one way, down. Which is precisely what we have been doing for the past ten years. To build a better team you need to retain your better players and then add to them. Given our relegation, I accept it may have been impossible to keep the first two. But sooner or later a manager has to make a stand and say "no, enough is enough, I'm trying to build a team here and I need these players to stay".
    If you were a current CAFC player and you got an offer from almost any other club in the world would you not be tempted to get away from the absolute shambles that is CAFC?
    Yes, and the only way you turn that around is by building success on the pitch. You don't achieve success on the pitch by weakening your squad, year after year. That requires a strong manager and a board that backs him, in retaining the better players (wherever possible) and then adding to them.
    If we hang on to Lookman, Harriot and Taxiera and add 3, especially an attacking midfielder, I will start to believe that maybe things are finally moving in the right direction.
  • Options
    Russell is a good talker.

He gives a shit. He wont hold back either, which is good...and also at least generally quite honestly informative.
    I expect that there have been many words between him and Meire. More to the point, probably quite negative discussions, confusion...a few "what the f*cks?" From Slade.
    She is probably deeply insulted by his comments as it makes her look like a bad recruiter. (Already know she is)
    He can't be sacked though. Think of the backlash the regime would face? They sack Slade...get old flaggy on the OS with a statement saying that they couldn't find a mutual understanding.

KABOOM

Charlton fans go mental again. Police needed at every game. Roland harshly embarrassed once again in Belgium the following weekend.
    Slade reveals all in the SLP.

He is also quite obviously choosing the players himself.

Knows a thing or 2 about football!

I think he's very hands on in a lot surrounding Charlton at the moment. I hope and expect him to be.

You would actually want to hear what he has to say after each game. Never paid any attention to the thoughts of guy Luzon, for example.

Saturday awaits.
  • Options

Why do I feel so meh about Charlton, gutted
    Twunt owners have crushed the Charlton life out of me
    I sadly believe I will get minimal joy out of any success this ownership brings (like getting us back to where they found us in the Champioship, for a start)and will have to feign happiness to continue on with my longer term project of brainwashing my 4 sons

Get out of our club

Promotion ensures the Belgians stick around longer, hopefully I'll be going to Oxford next season.
  • Options

braydex said:

shine166 said:

braydex said:

Off_it said:

So, the season is upon us and we have the usual mix of long term injuries to our better players (Diarra, Kashi, Bauer) and a manager who openly admits we're four players short.

How fucking depressing.

Offset by the fact we do have a proper manager who seems to be fighting his corner with the board, who really don't want to make these signings.
    Which in turn, is offset by the fact we don't have a decent owner & CEO who will not allow him to be a 'proper manager'.

But what will RS do when he realises he has got an inadequate squad and cant achieve the goal he has been publicly set? Will he resign in fury over how he has been treated and show the owner and CEO up for what they really are? or will he carry on treading water, taking his salary....?

Only time will tell.

Well he is already winning the battle to sign players he wants, so point 1 is void.
    He has publically acknowledge the task is tougher than expected, so he is already trying to rectify that... Which makes the comment about just here picking up a salary harsh on him.

Point 1 isn't void. Who says he is signing the players he wants? He will say that about anyone that he is given. He's a 'yes' man. Only a 'yes' man would have taken the job on in the first place. Which is why others ran a mile when they were linked with the job.

We are just seeing a different spin on what's going on, which is fantastic PR work (my wife is a PR director in London - many of their clients are EPL clubs). The end result is what RD and KM want, but it's just dressed up to look as though Slade is in charge and calling the shots. He isn't. But good PR can make it appear that way.

If we end up with players like Declan Rudd, Jason Pearce, Louis Thompson, Nicky Ajose, Lee Novak, Ricky Holmes and Andrew Crofts at league 1 level - I couldnt give a shit who is choosing them, as long as we carry on in that vein.
    All English. To go alongside an English manager and assistant. How long will the Belgians put up with this?
    Just keep drinking Stella ... we're fine with that ;)
  • Options
    It's less than a week ago there was a little love-in going on for Slade. Has anyone re-appraised their opinions since then?
  • Options
    Stig said:

It's less than a week ago there was a little love-in going on for Slade. Has anyone re-appraised their opinions since then?

If they have they're as fickle as Ronald.

It's ridiculous blaming Slade for the start we've had.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have re appraised.
    In my original reaction I praised his press conference skills, but said his ability as a football manager would be a separate analysis.
    Now his press relationship seems to be disintegrating and his football ability (e. g. no Lookman at Bury, hooking Holmes last night as a couple of examples) is dodgy.
    If Russell thinks things will get better he is an optimist isn't he? The pressure is not going away.