Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pre-seasons now a waste of time under The Regime

We have to acknowledge now that pre-seasons at Charlton under Duchatelet and Meire are not about refreshing the club for the season ahead but about the PR to help sell season tickets and wheeling and dealing to recover the operating costs lost by the mismanagement of the previous season.

Other clubs decide who to renew and who not to, who to sell and who to buy, in order to get a squad together so that they can actually have a pre-season, gel as a team and even try out new formations and tactics in readiness for the kick-off. All manage within budgets and most to a strategic plan that fits their club. They aim for small change and gradual improvement to they can be more competitive.

Under The Regime, we make a few cynically quick purchases to stimulate early interest at season ticket renewal and to give false hope that the 20 players who have left might be replaced by a smaller number but with as much or more quality. We then sell anyone who will attract a fee in excess of what we will pay for a player and hopefully enough in total to wipe out the operating loss. We are linked with loads of players for a month or two without seriously pursuing any and whilst we play out pointless friendlies where the manager's main objective is putting out 11 competitive players, often including several triallists at a time and loads of youth. In the final couple of weeks we scrape the barrel and bring in a few more so we can start the season. We begin thin on the ground but hopefully with fewer injuries than when we finished the season. Within a couple of months we are struggling and having to play youngsters and players out-of-position - problems that should have been addressed pre-season and which are blindingly obvious.

Does anyone really believe our squad of players are feeling pumped and like potential title winners after our pres-season and dramatic shrinking of the squad? Some of our Youth players may be getting excited by the prospect of first team football but the novelty of that will wear off quickly enough when we are losing and they are getting dogs abuse.

Meanwhile, all Meire and Duchatelet want to see is some of the youngsters getting decent write-ups and attracting fee-paying interest for January or the close season. Results? Look a bit concerned, say something positive about the long run and ignore. If it gets too bad, sack the manager and start again.

Comments

• Options
    Agreed.

If it gets too bad, sack the manager and start again.

Slade's got to be their last roll of the dice, surely? If Slade goes soon, it's very hard to see another manager with English experience wanting to touch the club with a barge pole. And another of Duchatelet's Belgian cronies would finally kill the club off. This season is their last hope.
  • Options

Agreed.

Slade's got to be their last roll of the dice, surely? If Slade goes soon, it's very hard to see another manager with English experience wanting to touch the club with a barge pole. And another of Duchatelet's Belgian cronies would finally kill the club off. This season is their last hope.
    Check out Blackpool and Portsmouth. Both suffered catastrophic management for longer than us, and still bumping along the bottom. This could conceivably last a while yet.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Do they want him to fail so they can appoint a Fraeye clone? It would certainly seem that they are not backing their manager. I think it more likely that Slade will resign than they will provide the six signings he has made it clear that we need as a bare minimum. Just when you think things are at an all time low, they get worse.
  • Options
    Slade going won't make any difference to Katy or RD it proves their Euro Trash cult as it shows British isn't the way forward .
    I fear the worst but will go to see mates,and a few new grounds.

His ego cult can't/won't see their failure and they ain't going anywhere

Ps. Why has your gaff been painted claret and blue Cardinal ?
  • Options
    There will always be an English manager that will take the role no matter what if they wanted one. Far too many poor managers out there with no hope of a job again who would jump at the spchance of another pay day if offered and who can blame them. If Slade was to go then a Lee Clarke / John Barnes type wouldn't blink about signing up.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    The biggest question for me throughout all of this is; why does RD want Charlton? What does he get out of it?
    It's not to build a winning, promotion getting team. And I don't think it's to make money. Most if not all the player sales have been for small potatoes compared to our owner's wealth.
    So, why....why does he want to own Charlton Athletic?
  • Options

Valley11 said:

The biggest question for me throughout all of this is; why does RD want Charlton? What does he get out of it?
    It's not to build a winning, promotion getting team. And I don't think it's to make money. Most if not all the player sales have been for small potatoes compared to our owner's wealth.

It's been done to death.

He wants to prove to himself (if no one else) that he can run Charlton successfully at break even.

He thinks he's a visionary and can achieve this with a Championship club, when no one else can.

He's already proved he can't because we've been relegated the same as every other club that breaks even.

He basically wants to achieve this by the development & sale of Academy players and by buying & selling other players for profit.

He doesn't care whether the first team loses or not and has said so.

To be honest, I personally feel that he'd be happier, if we didn't have a first team and he could just develop & trade players for profit.

The thing is, if it was that easy, every club would do it.

He's just a deluded, egotistical fool, meddling in a business that he doesn't understand, shielded by an incompetent, given the title of CEO, but without the ability.
    This, word for word.

We all just need to keep our fingers crossed that he dies soon.
  • Options
    HandG said:

Valley11 said:

It's been done to death.

He wants to prove to himself (if no one else) that he can run Charlton successfully at break even.

He thinks he's a visionary and can achieve this with a Championship club, when no one else can.

He's already proved he can't because we've been relegated the same as every other club that breaks even.

He basically wants to achieve this by the development & sale of Academy players and by buying & selling other players for profit.

To be honest, I personally feel that he'd be happier, if we didn't have a first team and he could just develop & trade players for profit.

He's just a deluded, egotistical fool, meddling in a business that he doesn't understand, shielded by an incompetent, given the title of CEO, but without the ability.
    This, word for word.

With our luck he'll leave the club to Katrien.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

HandG said:

Valley11 said:

It's been done to death.

This, word for word.

With our luck he'll leave the club to Katrien.
    Then we make her an offer she can't refuse.
  • Options

Agreed.

Slade going will clear the way for the return of Guy Luzon - the ragged cuddly toy tied to the front of Roland's dustcart (that's rolling towards a precipice!)
  • Options
    Sadly, this won't end before we've had Nobby Vinegar inflicted upon us
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Valley11 said:

We know that Duchatelet bought Charlton as part of a project to operate the club as a part of a network of clubs which by working together could challenge the footballing order in their own respective countries assuming in the English case that Financial Fair Play (FFP) was rigourously adhered to.

Despite presenting this as revolutionary and novel the basic idea is that of a 'commune' - not of like-minded individuals but of similar status football clubs pooling their resources. This is not really surprising as RD was by his own admission heavily influenced by the late 1960s pan-European youth movement and its utopian dream of freedom, peace and love - from Paris to London to Amsterdam

He also, and this is the really bad news, founded a political party in Belgium in 1998 called Vivant (Voor Individuele Vrijheid en Arbeid in een Nieuwe Toekomst, ("for individual freedom and labour in a new future"). This party espoused visionary (read unworkable) tax policies which few Belgian voters believed in.

Are you starting to see the hideous pattern emerging?

Vivant has limped along ever since 1998 with RD still at the helm and with him no doubt believing that Vivant will one day be recognised as offering a new political future which will be embraced by Belgium and indeed the rest of Europe -
    Vivant is funded by Duchatelet!

So, for 18 years Duchatelet has pursued a failing political vision in Belgium, has paid out of his own pocket for the privilege of doing so and shows no sign of walking away.

The man is quite clearly totally deluded but his successful business venture in electronic components allows him the luxury of watching on as his various pet enterprises stagger along with no real prospect of advancement.

In RD's mind the dream is still alive it's us who have to live out the Nightmeire.

• Options

Valley11 said:

It's been done to death.

He'd have had half a chance of achieving some of what you've said if he'd appointed a decent manager backed up by a good scouting system. He had the money to set this up with initial investment to then reap the dividends later on............but didn't bother.