Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Mrs and I switched a fair amount into the 6% bond during the month. Still got £150 for me and £200 for Mrs Chaz from remaining PB holdings. Jnr got £100 from his smaller holding after buying a flat recently.
  • No luck this time for me
  • 2 x £50 for me.  2.45% return on calendar year-to-date....not great but tax free.
  • £50 for me, £100 for the missus, £100 for my Mum. Probably our worst month of the year. Currently running at just under 4% return for the year.
  • Nothing again for me. 2nd month in a row 😒

• Rob7Lee said:
    Yorkshire building society is only 7% but allows £500 a month, again existing members only.
    I've mentioned this before but probably worth saying again.

Both Yorkshire Building Society and Coventry Building Society bring out accounts fairly regularly that are for members only and pay interest rates well above market levels.

Yorkshire usually requires you to have a years membership but Coventry's is usually a bit less - 3 or 6 months, I can't remember which.

Probably worth opening an easy access account with both and sticking a £100 in it to get your membership and then in the future you can take advantage of the higher rates when they bring out their members' accounts.
    That's a good idea, reminds me of an old FD I worked for years ago, his advice was open an account with every building society with £100 in it, he did very well as many of them converted to banks.
  • £50 for me (PB’s).
  • Morning #Rob7Lee, made a few bob on Metro Bank thanks to you during Covid times, interesting times with their refinancing issues, SP obviously dipped today, one to watch  for a quick 10% trade possibly upon any good news.
  • Sponsored links:

• Morning #Rob7Lee, made a few bob on Metro Bank thanks to you during Covid times, interesting times with their refinancing issues, SP obviously dipped today, one to watch  for a quick 10% trade possibly upon any good news.
    I bought some this morning as a bit of a punt.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Morning #Rob7Lee, made a few bob on Metro Bank thanks to you during Covid times, interesting times with their refinancing issues, SP obviously dipped today, one to watch  for a quick 10% trade possibly upon any good news.
    I bought some this morning as a bit of a punt.
    Me too...happy to hang onto them as I'm sure they'll rebound!
  • Up a nice 9% today on Metrobank, if it goes more than 10% I'll sell and run!
  • Started doing so low level investing via Monzo new platform which they are running with Blackrock, just small steps there, and see how it goes. https://monzo.com/investments/ 

Also interesting to see if Monzo can drive a load of business in that direction
  • I hope we are talking pocket money punts @Rob7Lee ;-)
  • mendonca said:
    I hope we are talking pocket money punts @Rob7Lee ;-)
    Depends on whose pocket money! 4 figure sum but not quite 5.

I have an old SIPP that I play around with to see if I can beat the funds, up 40% over the past two years so doing OK.
  • Rothko said:
    Started doing so low level investing via Monzo new platform which they are running with Blackrock, just small steps there, and see how it goes. https://monzo.com/investments/ 

How are you finding this platform in general so far?
  • yeah good, it's obviously been built extremely well by Monzo, and they've done a grand job on making it easy to understand and invest. Like that you can link your account to invest from daily to monthly on a recurring basis. Find it easier then dealing with Freetrade or similar 
  • Rothko said:
    Started doing so low level investing via Monzo new platform which they are running with Blackrock, just small steps there, and see how it goes. https://monzo.com/investments/ 

How are you finding this platform in general so far?
    On the back of this does anyone else have any low level investment platforms they would or any learning material they would recommend? 

I have been reading a lot of here recently about this, really keen to learn more and hopefully start doing things well slowly but surely :) 
  • The NS&I bonds paying 6.2% for 12 months have been withdrawn from sale. You might sneak in with a postal application, but they've essentially stopped now.
  • Sponsored links:

• IdleHans said:
    The NS&I bonds paying 6.2% for 12 months have been withdrawn from sale. You might sneak in with a postal application, but they've essentially stopped now.
    Was actually taking a snoop into this today and couldn't seem to find it, well there you go.
  • Rothko said:
    yeah good, it's obviously been built extremely well by Monzo, and they've done a grand job on making it easy to understand and invest. Like that you can link your account to invest from daily to monthly on a recurring basis. Find it easier then dealing with Freetrade or similar 
    Great thanks a lot mate. Ill have more of a look into this. I have an account with Monzo so kind of makes sense also. Appreciate the help, thanks! 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Up a nice 9% today on Metrobank, if it goes more than 10% I'll sell and run!
    Assume you cashed in finished 20 points up today, I missed out unfortunately. However Echo Energy was a decent return for me, modest but any profit is decent 👍
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Assume you cashed in finished 20 points up today, I missed out unfortunately. However Echo Energy was a decent return for me, modest but any profit is decent 👍
    I was on calls to Munich all afternoon so didn’t get time… fingers crossed for Monday!
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    I was on calls to Munich all afternoon so didn’t get time… fingers crossed for Monday!
    Finished up over 20% at 45.25, but had been as high as 50.7 during the day.  It did finish the day on the rise again, so hopefully nothing untoward over the weekend and further progress on Monday.

• Metro Bank strikes deal to shore up balance sheet

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67048740

Fingers crossed
  • Rob7Lee said:

Metro Bank strikes deal to shore up balance sheet

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67048740

Fingers crossed
    Bank of England seem happy with it. Doesn’t look to have been done in a way that dilutes existing shares, but can’t really tell from that story. We’ll see in the next hour or so. 

Regulator had approached Santander, Lloyds and NW over the weekend to try and secure a “white knight” if needed.
  • Trading at 54p currently. Once I get off the train I’ll be selling if they remain there, nice £5k profit!!
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Trading at 54p currently. Once I get off the train I’ll be selling if they remain there, nice £5k profit!!
    Seems to be jumping between 49p and 53p at the moment. I wasn’t as brave as you, but looking at a decent profit for a very speculative punt, which could have gone wrong.