Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• edited July 2023
    cafctom said:
    With thanks to this thread, I finally got around to putting a chunk of money into Premium Bonds. First time I've ever really done anything remotely 'different' with my savings beyond just letting them sit there in a bank account. 

£150 for my first prize. 
    Nice first hit, but still behind savings if you’ve £50,000 in.
    Even as a 45% tax payer?

I still have the majority of my money in regular savings, but I will have a tax bill for it at the end of the financial year. I just thought it would be a good idea to put some of it into a place where there’s the very remote chance I could get a decent sized win one day. And of course, the tax free returns are nice.
  • cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    With thanks to this thread, I finally got around to putting a chunk of money into Premium Bonds. First time I've ever really done anything remotely 'different' with my savings beyond just letting them sit there in a bank account. 

£150 for my first prize. 
    Even as a 45% tax payer?

I still have the majority of my money in savings, but I will have a tax bill for it at the end of the financial year.
    Annualised that would be £1800 or 3.6% net if £50k. If you are a higher rate tax payer it's minimum 6% gross, not aware of any instant access paying that yet.
  • edited July 2023
    Rob7Lee said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

£150 for my first prize. 
    Even as a 45% tax payer?

I still have the majority of my money in savings, but I will have a tax bill for it at the end of the financial year.
    Annualised that would be £1800 or 3.6% net if £50k. If you are a higher rate tax payer it's minimum 6% gross, not aware of any instant access paying that yet.
    Exactly that. 

If I remember correctly you need to multiply a tax free rate by 1.66 for 40% tax payers and 1.82 for a 45% tax payer to get a savings rate comparable (saw it on Martin Lewis) which makes premium bonds a very attractive easy access account, and it's a lot more fun!

Maxing out ISA allowance then buying premium bonds makes the most sense to me if a 40-45% tax payer (as long as you don't have other forms of debt that are more expensive). 
  • cafctom said:

£150 for my first prize. 
    Probably comparable over 12 months.

£1800 tax free. If you are a higher tax payer you would get £500 tax free interest and anything on top would be taxed at 40%. 5% instant access (which PB's are in reality) would give you £2.5k. Take off the £500 tax free savings allowance, leaving £2000 to be taxed at 40%. £800 in tax leaves £1200. Add in the £500 tax free allowance gives you £1700. 

• Stockmarkets taking a bit of a hammering today (a bit like the England Test team)

FTSE down 2.2% with most European markets down the same- France down almost 3%.

US opened lower with S&P500 down 1.3% and DJ down 1.4%.

• Rates all up about 20bps whatever part of curve you look at
  • HSBC have yet again pulled their mortgage interest rates. Must be the 3rd time in less than a month. New rates out on Monday. 

Tbf they are currently the best around & are snowed under with applications. 

I'm sure there is another way of combating inflation than simply putting up interest rates every time. 
  • Now if the last “guess the index” had ended today…. :s
  • Sponsored links:

• With Market at 7252 this morning how are peoples investments holding up with the FTSE heading South every day.  My share / fund holdings are down by 5.6% from recent high. Although this is savings not pension, as I declined transferring my DB Lloyds pension. 
  • With Market at 7252 this morning how are peoples investments holding up with the FTSE heading South every day.  My share / fund holdings are down by 5.6% from recent high. Although this is savings not pension, as I declined transferring my DB Lloyds pension. 
    I try not to check mine too often - it can mess with your head when its having a downturn. There will be ups and downs but in the medium to longer term history says it'll pay off. Dont let bad days get to you.  

My pension is down 1.7% since the turn of the month. Still up over 7% in the last 12 months.
  • Just wondering if anyone could advise me…my partner has 50 grand to invest & we are wondering the best way to invest mid term!  Tia 
  • Everyone want to go again on the FTSE100 comp? If so let me know number by 14th August.

Also, how's everyone's investments doing? My pension is back to an all time high, I'm making more a month on it than my gross salary!
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Everyone want to go again on the FTSE100 comp? If so let me know number by 14th August.

Also, how's everyone's investments doing? My pension is back to an all time high, I'm making more a month on it than my gross salary!
    Love this competition. 
    Really good fun finishing above financial experts. 
    Bring it on again please. 
  • My SIPP is very close to it's all time high & up 4% since the start of the year.

Happy to go again with the FTSE prediction. Bound to be wildly out, but what the heck. 
  • Looks like I’ll have to check the value of our SIPP’s later.
  • My SIPP is very close to it's all time high & up 4% since the start of the year.

Happy to go again with the FTSE prediction. Bound to be wildly out, but what the heck. 
    Mines up 8.8% since turn of the year, more by luck than judgement.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rob7Lee said:
    My SIPP is very close to it's all time high & up 4% since the start of the year.

Mines up 8.8% since turn of the year, more by luck than judgement.
    Probably also depends on the asset mix. I still have around 35% in non-equity holdings. Mainly Bonds & Property. 
  • Mine is up 10.33% in the last six months / I’m in for the FTSE prediction game …. 
  • Looks like I need to have a chat with my pension advisor. Absolutely flat over the last 6 months 🤔

Happy to have a go at predicting the FTSE 🔮
  • TelMc32 said:
    Looks like I need to have a chat with my pension advisor. Absolutely flat over the last 6 months 🤔

mine is similar, will be firing an email off later.
  • TelMc32 said:
    Looks like I need to have a chat with my pension advisor. Absolutely flat over the last 6 months 🤔

Really all depends on the make up of your portfolio. The more fixed interest (Bonds) you have the worse it would have done. If you have a traditional 60/40 split then it probably wouldn't have done very much. 
  • I have some money invested in a couple of Baillie Gifford funds: UK and European Growth Funds.

After a decent start the plummeting when tech stocks took a dive and although they are slowly , very slowly improving, they still seem very volatile and I think it's probably time to get rid and find something else. Actually it was probably time to get rid ages ago!

I know there were several members on here who had invested in these so wondering what you have done and if anyone else is still holding, hoping they'll take a turn for the better.

And any ideas for replacements? ISAs or funds.

Thanks
  • TelMc32 said:

Really all depends on the make up of your portfolio. The more fixed interest (Bonds) you have the worse it would have done. If you have a traditional 60/40 split then it probably wouldn't have done very much. 
    I can't actually tell you how mine has done in the last six months because, Hargreaves Lansdowne, but looking at the total figure I think I'm in line with Tel. Certainly still off best ever by around 9%. You know the culprit, Golfie. Too much in the supposed ballast of Vanguard LS20. I've gradually divested myself of that pile of pooh, partly to your Waverton Global Strategic Bond (about 4% better than the Vanguard fund so far this year) and partly to a Money Market fund. It's a long way back but feels more solid. 
  • edited July 2023
    I have some money invested in a couple of Baillie Gifford funds: UK and European Growth Funds.

After a decent start the plummeting when tech stocks took a dive and although they are slowly , very slowly improving, they still seem very volatile and I think it's probably time to get rid and find something else. Actually it was probably time to get rid ages ago!

I know there were several members on here who had invested in these so wondering what you have done and if anyone else is still holding, hoping they'll take a turn for the better.

Thanks
    BlackRock do a couple of decent European funds.

For UK funds try Artemis UK Select & Liontrust UK Focus.

But that does not constitute advice 😉.
  • Good luck with the Premium Bond draw tomorrow - chances of winning both improved and higher prizes!

Current and new Premium Bonds prize fund rate and odds

Prize fund rate for July 2023 prize draw

Odds (for July 2023 prize draw)

New prize fund rate (from August 2023)

New odds (from August 2023)

3.70% tax-free

24,000 to 1

4.00% tax-free

22,000 to 1

Number and value of Premium Bonds prizes

Value of prizes in July 2023

Number of prizes in July 2023

Value of prizes in August 2023 (estimated)

Number of prizes in August 2023 (estimated)

£1,000,000

£1,000,000

£100,000

£100,000

£50,000

£50,000

£25,000

£25,000

£10,000

£10,000

£5,000

£5,000

£1,000

£1,000

£500

£500

£100

£100

£50

£50

£25

£25

Total

£374,026,425

Total

Total

£404,858,225

Total

• I have some money invested in a couple of Baillie Gifford funds: UK and European Growth Funds.

Thanks
    BlackRock do a couple of decent European funds.

For UK funds try Artemis UK Select & Liontrust UK Focus.

But that does not constitute advice 😉.
    My second best performer in my SIPP the last year: FTSE Developed Europe UCITS ETF up about 17%