Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Not sure how to find it but can some-one tell me what P/E ratio on the S&P is currently. In fact an online sourse would be helpful.
    I have always been overweight in US stocks, which have done me very well in the last 20 years but a bit nervous on them atm. 
  • edited November 2022
    redman said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    A million is a fair chunk, but it's easy to exceed that with the right investments. My pension pot when I moved jobs in Jan 2007 was around £60k (and at that point my salary was £65k), I did in around 2014 transfer in £110k from a DB scheme. I didn't pay in for about 5 of the next 15 years yet at 50 I'm already at best part of 700k, a large proportion being growth/return (I'd estimate around another £200k has been paid in so maybe about half the value).

Even if I don't pay in anymore, with £700k if I make a modest 5% per annum by the time I'm 60 it'll be north of £1.1m, by 65 probably £1.5m. If I achieve the 8% I've averaged then £1.5m & £2.2m.

First world problems I know, I don't imagine the rules will change anytime soon nor will the LTA increase, it is what it is as they say, not worth losing sleep over just manage your finances as sensibly as you can. Is still think I'm better exceeding the LTA but getting the 62% tax relief going in.
    second time i believe you have mentioned 62% relief. How is it 62%? isn't it 42% or 47% if you're a higher rate tax payer? 
    Any earnings between £100k and £125,140 you begin to lose your tax free allowance (for every £2 earned you lose £1 of it) therefore meaning in that range you are actually paying 60% income tax (and 2% NI).

So in essence if you can by way of pension contributions bring your salary down to £100k you'll get that 62% relief.
  • https://www.gov.uk/income-tax-rates/income-over-100000

Your Personal Allowance goes down by £1 for every £2 that your adjusted net income is above £100,000. This means your allowance is zero if your income is £125,140 or above.
  • redman said:
    Not sure how to find it but can some-one tell me what P/E ratio on the S&P is currently. In fact an online sourse would be helpful.
    I have always been overweight in US stocks, which have done me very well in the last 20 years but a bit nervous on them atm. 
    Google is your friend. 

Current P/E ratio for the S&P is 20.78%. 

• redman said:
    Not sure how to find it but can some-one tell me what P/E ratio on the S&P is currently. In fact an online sourse would be helpful.
    Google is your friend. 

Thanks, that is high.  That means effective earnings yield is less than 5%. Ratio of that to gilt yields must be pretty much all time low. I couldn't find via google. 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    https://www.gov.uk/income-tax-rates/income-over-100000

Your Personal Allowance goes down by £1 for every £2 that your adjusted net income is above £100,000. This means your allowance is zero if your income is £125,140 or above.
    ok for that band, but for most 42% so different decision. 
  • redman said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    https://www.gov.uk/income-tax-rates/income-over-100000

ok for that band, but for most 42% so different decision. 
    Yes, only once you start getting above 100k. Obviously once you get way past £125k there's nothing you can do but suck up the 62%!
  • redman said:
    redman said:
    Google is your friend. 

Thanks, that is high.  That means effective earnings yield is less than 5%. Ratio of that to gilt yields must be pretty much all time low. I couldn't find via google. 
    Totally concur.  A lot lower than it has been in recent years but these things tend to over shoot when correcting.  

Lots of people agreeing that the interest rate rises were priced in on the recent dip.  But now there's been a significant bounce.  Various FED people talking about the market 'getting ahead of itself', implying higher rates for longer which will impact those discounted cash flows underlying the 'priced in' argument.  If the trend for lower earnings, lower margins on rising costs carries on, then that PE is very high, as you say.  

Whilst we don't have another earnings season until January and there are at least 3 well known seasonal 'bullish' plays coming up (Thanks Giving, Santa Rally + another I can't remember the name of), it's not hard to imagine that any noises about Black Friday not having gone as well as usual (or, more likely, no noise at all) might spark a sell-off.

On top of that the Saudis started talking oil up again yesterday (inflation) and the Chinese are locking down Beijing.  It was optimism about the CCP relaxing their Zero Covid policy that kick-started this latest bounce.  I don't think the oil bounce will last long but bounces don't help.
  • edited November 2022
    I thought that a recommendation for this particular TV show should be on this thread. I'm talking about a Netflix film called "Skandal". It's about the downfall of Wirecard. I had parked it in the same general category as WeWork and now the FTX scandal, and possibly Musk/Twitter. But it's different because whereas the last three teach us lessons about monstrous hubris of rich individuals, let's say giant global versions of Duchatelet, Wirecard was a monstrous global version of Southall/Farnell- straight up criminality from start to finish. And it features the role of the FT, in a situation that they probably didn't expect, of receiving threats and dealing with listening devices. It's well worth a watch. But the main reason why I'm putting it on this thread is that at one point, the FT editor points out that Wirecard was a huge constituent of the DAX. At that point I realised "shit! My European funds!" And then "double shit! my tech funds!" Much too late now of course, the damage is done, but any of you who had similar holdings will have been done by these guys. "Enjoy" 😡
  • That Vanguard Life Strategy 20% I've been moaning about, and thought about ditching for a long term fixed interest account... I didn't, and it has since recovered about 7%, which of course is way above what I would have earned had I pulled the money out and stuck it in a cash deposit. It's still down 13% on the last 12 months which is still shocking for a supposedly safe/cautious investment, but there seems to be a general belief that the bond markets might be heading for calmer waters, so I'll stick with it for now and review in the New Year.
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought that a recommendation for this particular TV show should be on this thread. I'm talking about a Netflix film called "Skandal". It's about the downfall of Wirecard. I had parked it in the same general category as WeWork and now the FTX scandal, and possibly Musk/Twitter. But it's different because whereas the last three teach us lessons about monstrous hubris of rich individuals, let's say giant global versions of Duchatelet, Wirecard was a monstrous global version of Southall/Farnell- straight up criminality from start to finish. And it features the role of the FT, in a situation that they probably didn't expect, of receiving threats and dealing with listening devices. It's well worth a watch. But the main reason why I'm putting it on this thread is that at one point, the FT editor points out that Wirecard was a huge constituent of the DAX. At that point I realised "shit! My European funds!" And then "double shit! my tech funds!" Much too late now of course, the damage is done, but any of you who had similar holdings will have been done by these guys. "Enjoy" 😡
    I read a really in depth an 'expose' of FTX.  One person's view but was backed up by a lot of public domain twitter quotes juxtaposed with his view of what was going on.  If he's right  - link here, https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1592502785873825794.html - FTX is going to make Bernie Madoff look like an amateur.

I would be interested from people on here that follow the digital currencies more closely, if what this guy is saying seems reasonable.  Someone in that business I know well - Lars Holst, founder of GCEX - had to go on record to distance his firm from this kind of behaviour.  I suspect he'll ride it out as he's got a long track record of success and integrity.  At the least, it has given critics of the industry plenty of grist and is bound to undermine the one thing all these assets and currencies rely on - confidence.
  • edited November 2022
    I was just trying to open an account with Raisin to put a bit of cash on a 6 month fix at 3.4% with Zenith Bank. No, nor me but it's FSCS protected so ok.
    Anyway, I tend to be a bit anal about reading Ts and Cs and just as well - the bond is advertised as 3.4% but the Ts and Cs state 0.9%. I have not proceeded with the deposit, of course, and I'm sure it's just an admin error on their side. But it inspires no confidence at all if they can't get this right. If it had said 9% would they have paid that, I wonder? I'm going to have a trawl and see if I can find one they've got wrong to my possible advantage.
    Also, how many people just tick the boxes to say they agree without reading any of the document?
    Edit: I have emailed their customer services pointing out the error
  • Hi @IdleHans I started using Raisin but am not particularly impressed with it. I had to wait more than a week for an answer to a routine question, having failed to get any reply on the phone. 

On the other hand I recommend staying close to the Money Savings Expert forum, they may have nicked our thread title but they are great at monitoring every interest rate move and discussion of all the weird and wonderful “banks”. Sub-threads for each kind of savings account.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/savings-investments
  • Cheers @PragueAddick I hadn't seen that before.
    Raisin was only to ensure I don't exceed the FSCS limit with another bank as I move savings out of HL's platform. I'm currently looking at Atom but I will check the link youve sent and make sure any comments are positive. Many thanks.
  • 1x £50 for me this month from PB.
  • 3 x £25 and 1 x £50
  • £25 again this month. 
    I live in hope for the big one 
  • 1 x £50 & 1 x £25 here
  • TelMc32 said:
    3 x £25 and 1 x £50
    TelMc32 said:
    3 x £25 and 1 x £50
    …out of interest, noting you have a decent 4 wins, are your bonds in a single block or dispersed?
  • edited December 2022
    4 x £25 this month (in blocks of £2k - £5k)…
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2022
    £75 for me (1 x £50 1 x £25)
    £25 For Mrs R7L
    £25 for Elder Daughter
    £50 for youngest Daughter (1 x £50)

£50 for Father in Law.
  • £150 for me (1x100 and a 50), £125 for Mrs (100 and a 25) but nothing for junior. Might be able to pay the energy bill this month  :)
  • TelMc32 said:
    3 x £25 and 1 x £50
    …out of interest, noting you have a decent 4 wins, are your bonds in a single block or dispersed?
    It’s in 4 blocks. £2.5k for years and rarely had a win. From 2019 I built it up to the max in 3 blocks (one a year til 2021).

Just looked back and it’s £625 over the last 7 draws, including todays. 
  • My builders girlfriend sold her house and moved in with him a couple of months back, sitting on £300k until they move so I suggested £50k in premium bonds as well as some interest accounts........ first month, she wins £1100!!
  • edited December 2022
    Rob7Lee said:
    My builders girlfriend sold her house and moved in with him a couple of months back, sitting on £300k until they move so I suggested £50k in premium bonds as well as some interest accounts........ first month, she wins £1100!!
    Similar here - sold my property in October & waiting to buy next year. Put £50k into PB & today was my first draw.

£25 😔

• for the first time this year nothing for either my wife or me. 
  • Hmm, got £100, from a single bond too. Can't quibble about that, I guess.
  • Nothing for me for the 374th month in a row
  • Just added up mine for the year £625