Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    £75 me £25 wife. On the p bonds
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Separately I was going to mention a couple of things when it comes to funds, and diversifying.

Firstly a bare stat and I can't remember where I read it but basically it pointed out that retail investors generally hold at least 25% in UK focused funds, while the UK  stock markets make up only 4% of a key global index. In some ways this is inevitable given the way  retail investors get into funds, and the platforms that deal in them, but it made me think hard, even though I've been a bit lary about the UK for some time. Since Johnson got the keys to No10, in fact.

As for where else,  this article in the FT from the Unhedged crew (another crew along with the Alphaville team that I think know their stuff) convinced me that it's time to have a bit more of Japan. For years the market has underperformed, despite most of us owning something in our home or garage that is Japanese. Could be finally the time. I certainly dipped in yesterday. I already had the fund I wanted, part of the package of reccos I got  from @golfaddick in his professional capacity, which has been out-performing in the package. But I happened to check on a Japanese fund I'd held in my SIPP for ages (AXA Framlington Japan). Golfie's fund is out-performing it since the beginning of the year by over 20 percentage points, which is a lot!. Now of course we are also told to have longer horizons for our funds, but despite there being a period in the last 5 years where the AXA fund was looking for more promising,, over five years the Golfie fund is delivering 7.4% vs the AXA fund 3.6%. (both are pathetic returns over five years of course, which is why Japan has been ignored for so long). So I immediately swapped it.

Well, it gave me food for thought, anyway. One lesson is clear. Check all your funds regularly!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    1 x £100, 4 x £25

Easily my best month.  Has the prize fund gone up with interest rates?
    2.2% now I believe, was 1.4%

So in theory on the maximum holding on average you should win between £75 and £100 a month.
    Really? Never got the email on that. 

Aaand I got £200, I think I got that much once before but certainly no more than that.

If it's really 2.2% that is the highest for years and outpacing every single one of the six cash savings accounts I hold where I've distributed cash from the house sale. Hmm.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2022/09/ns-i-premium-bond-rate/
    Thanks, needed to read that. Not least for this point

But for most savers with average luck, and who don't pay tax on savings interest, normal savings are still likely to beat Premium Bonds. This is because savings pay a constant rate of interest – so if you get the top easy-access rate of 2.5%, you'd get roughly £25 in interest for every £1,000 saved. Though this rate is variable, it provides more certainty than Premium Bonds, where many saving the same £1,000 would win nothing.

• Options
    Premium bonds has never been the best return/home for cash. But many like the safety, tax free and chance to do better! Personally I think it's only worth doing if you have £30k+

That said one of the £50k winners this month has £600 of bonds, bought a little over two years ago, so not a bad return! There was even a £50k winner who had £100 of bonds bought nearly 20 years ago.
  • Options
    £75 for Mrs Chaz, £50 for jnr and bugger all for me this month :/ Had a good run recently so shouldn’t complain but I will. 

In answer to the biggest amount won with an individual bond it is £100 for me. A friend of my wife won £20,000 some years ago.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    1 x £100, 4 x £25

Easily my best month.  Has the prize fund gone up with interest rates?
    2.2% now I believe, was 1.4%

So in theory on the maximum holding on average you should win between £75 and £100 a month.
    Really? Never got the email on that. 

Aaand I got £200, I think I got that much once before but certainly no more than that.

If it's really 2.2% that is the highest for years and outpacing every single one of the six cash savings accounts I hold where I've distributed cash from the house sale. Hmm.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2022/09/ns-i-premium-bond-rate/
    Thanks, needed to read that. Not least for this point

But for most savers with average luck, and who don't pay tax on savings interest, normal savings are still likely to beat Premium Bonds. This is because savings pay a constant rate of interest – so if you get the top easy-access rate of 2.5%, you'd get roughly £25 in interest for every £1,000 saved. Though this rate is variable, it provides more certainty than Premium Bonds, where many saving the same £1,000 would win nothing.

when the payour rate was 1.4%, I believe the median person (person in the middle/average profile) was about 1%. So effectively 1% to normal payouts and .4% to the lottery for the big prizes. My benchmark for comparing saving rates was therefore 1%. 
    Not sure what the figures are now itit's risen to 2.2%, but may be 1.5%. This still beats most big savings instistitutions instant access rates. Nationwide as one of the best, you can get 1.6% if you count as a loyalty customer. Other large institutions considerably worse!
  • Options
    @redman yes it seems to me that most banks, even some of the smaller ones, are still sitting on their hands. I will probably go for a six month bond with Charter Savings Bank at 3.1% but that´s easily the best I can get right now, and I dont want to take it until a 95 day notice account closes beginning December, because I am wary of the £85k guarantee limit. Otherwise 2.1% is the best I have, and thats for a nine month bond.

There has to be a new round of better offers coming soon, I would have thought.

Mind you any punter in the Eurozone can only dream of such offers. I’ve been lucky moving money across to Czech accounts offering 5.3%, and well before Blundertruss crashed the pound, albeit the context is inflation at 17.2%. I’m happy with that even if most of the money is earmarked for purchases in the next few months. 

Never thought I’d be setting up web pages that monitor currencies….
  • Options
    Virgin Money are paying 4% on a 1 year fixed rate.

I have some money coming from my house sale. I'll be maxing out the PB's and then some into an ISA with the rest in a 1 year fixed rate bond. Will need the money in 1-2 years for a new house purchase. 
  • Options

I have some money coming from my house sale. I'll be maxing out the PB's and then some into an ISA with the rest in a 1 year fixed rate bond. Will need the money in 1-2 years for a new house purchase. 
    That's more like it then. Unfortunately I ditched my account with them a few months ago as they were uncompetitive. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Atom 4.11% for 1 year fix
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Secure Trust 4.2% for 1 year fix.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Some pretty obscure names coming up here...hope they are all sound.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    FCS protection - and Secure Trust are a UK bank and have been going for 70 years.
  • Options
    Good link. Just check banks are UK Regulated as you are secured up to £85k.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest/

• Options
    Rumours of credit suisse being in trouble
    Friend who runs a trading desk says they are kerplunk. 
  • Options
    My best PB returns for a while... 2 x £100 and 1 x £25...
  • Options

Oddly their I year fixed rate for an ISA is less at 3.5%. Not sure why the differnece although still a decent rate 
  • Options
    redman said:

Oddly their I year fixed rate for an ISA is less at 3.5%. Not sure why the differnece although still a decent rate 
    Tax free!
  • Options
    Another green day for Ftse100… told ya it was the local bottom 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    redman said:

Because they know loads of people will put money into an ISA no matter what interest they are (not) getting. 
  • Options
    I hope all those that pulled out of the market last week aren't still sitting on the sidelines. FTSE100 up 2.5% and the main European markets up around 4%. Dow Jones currently up 2.4% and the S&P500 up 2.7%.

As I've said before, it's very hard to time the markets. Best just to ride it out & wait for the gains to come along again. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    FCS protection - and Secure Trust are a UK bank and have been going for 70 years.
    I’m pleased to stand corrected then. 

And thanks for a very good tip. Hard to see that being bettered for a few weeks at least.
  • Options
    But mate, it fell about another 3% after you called it! 😆 That may not sound like much for a cryptobro of course😉 
    I actually did dip in and buy yesterday, bundle of five equities with good income prospects, and just for once I timed it nicely. But I’m old enough to know that this time next week they can be back in red numbers - more idiocy from Truss, Putin dropping something nasty, Credit Suisse rumours having legs….
  • Options
    But mate, it fell about another 3% after you called it! 😆 That may not sound like much for a cryptobro of course😉 
    I actually did dip in and buy yesterday, bundle of five equities with good income prospects, and just for once I timed it nicely. But I’m old enough to know that this time next week they can be back in red numbers - more idiocy from Truss, Putin dropping something nasty, Credit Suisse rumours having legs….
    How's DLG doing  ;)
  • Options
    Bit of an odd situation, appreciate any views.

I am the beneficiary of a will currently concluding the sale of a number of share holdings. One such shareholding is in bank of Ireland. The estate is being administered in the uk.

the solicitor is struggling to sell the bank of Ireland shares, despite it seems contacting the registrar and Irish based brokers - they appear unable to assist despite having the certificate probate ect.

the solicitor thinks it’s due to the modest holding size

It seems a little inexplicable that they can’t overcome this issue and conclude the estate

has anyone any thoughts, tips or suggestions as to what this solicitor isn’t doing or should do to conclude the share sale
  • Options
    Why does the solicitor have to sell the shares?
    Can't you sign an indemnity or some such and instruct him not to sell the shares?
    You could then deal with this at your leisure?
  • Options
    Can't you sign an indemnity or some such and instruct him not to sell the shares?
    Good question, I should add I’m not the sole beneficiary and for whatever reason for this or other holdings which there were many the option of retaining them wasn’t ever mentioned they have all apart from this been sold.

im not sure if this was at the direction of the executior as I’m unfortunately not on speaking terms with these family members 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I was under the impression that unless specifically identified within the Will, like family watch or House etc, all Assets are liquidated. As bank accounts closed, insurances claimed and investments moved to cash. Found this on Web

Do you have to sell shares when someone dies?
    If someone owned shares at the time that they died, then these will be included as part of their estate and they will need to be sold or transferred as part of the estate administration.

However, this should not hold up the estate being paid out. Whilst issues remain outstanding, interim payments can be made. 
  • Options
    I was under the impression that unless specifically identified within the Will, like family watch or House etc, all Assets are liquidated. As bank accounts closed, insurances claimed and investments moved to cash. Found this on Web

Do you have to sell shares when someone dies?
    If someone owned shares at the time that they died, then these will be included as part of their estate and they will need to be sold or transferred as part of the estate administration.

However, this should not hold up the estate being paid out. Whilst issues remain outstanding, interim payments can be made. 
    Thanks Ralph, they passed without a will and the solicitor has made interim payments over a period of nearly three years from the date of probate with the remaining seemingly hinging on this final sale after they gathered the certificates and other proofs.

they seem to want to conclude the sale of this holding to close the estate fully and have prepared accounts 

the info I’ve been given has been wholly patchy so just trying to help move things along as seems a weird situation to get stuck on for the last 6 months or so