Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• edited November 2021

I am always really impressed with the expertise on here so I am Just putting this sad pension tale out there so those in the know can howl in derision at my ignorance or warn me off if it’s a completely insane plan.

I have two very small Aviva private pension funds which I acquired years ago (about 65K total). Having recently reached the big six zero I thought I better do something about them. I have had a session with the Pension Wise rep which I found to be very good and approached three IFAs so far and none have yet offered anything useful at all. In all three cases I completed a form to authorize Aviva to release details to them and then nothing happened.  When I asked about their fees, they seemed very high- up to 3% to deal with the funds and then another annual charge for management. No offence to those who do this for a living but I felt very uncomfortable about dealing with them. Maybe my pot is just too small for them to piss in. 

I would be happy to pay a flat fee for advice from an independent expert as I would with a solicitor or private doctor but don’t really want recurring % charges for the rest of my life for one conversation.

Therefore, I decided to cut out the middle man and deal with Aviva direct. They don’t offer advice (actually they refused to give it even if I paid for it). I am looking at taking 25% of the fund as a tax-free lump sum and bunging the remainder into a SIPP (Aviva Insured Funds Investment Pathway 1) as a safe place it which allows me to take it as cash when and if I need it. Aviva charge 0.4% to set this up so that seems a bargain compared to going via the IFA and they seem big, safe and unlikely to go bust when the shit hits the fan. I am not looking for mega growth or an income/annuity- just a safe haven that offers something better than a bank deposit account.

Very grateful for any sensible feedback. Thanks.

Age? And as well as the 0.4% is there a charge for the chosen fund?

EDIT: just looked and it appears to have a 0.15% fee, so assuming the 0.4% is annual, then the true charge is 0.55%, you can achieve better (someone like Vanguard, check but I think they are 0.15% account fee and depends on fund chosen but their 'standard' ones are low, some as low as 0.06%)
  • Apologies I would assume it's mentioned somewhere, but is there a maximum limit on premium bonds? 
  • Apologies I would assume it's mentioned somewhere, but is there a maximum limit on premium bonds? 
    £50k

• I am always really impressed with the expertise on here so I am Just putting this sad pension tale out there so those in the know can howl in derision at my ignorance or warn me off if it’s a completely insane plan.

I have two very small Aviva private pension funds which I acquired years ago (about 65K total). Having recently reached the big six zero I thought I better do something about them. I have had a session with the Pension Wise rep which I found to be very good and approached three IFAs so far and none have yet offered anything useful at all. In all three cases I completed a form to authorize Aviva to release details to them and then nothing happened.  When I asked about their fees, they seemed very high- up to 3% to deal with the funds and then another annual charge for management. No offence to those who do this for a living but I felt very uncomfortable about dealing with them. Maybe my pot is just too small for them to piss in. 

I would be happy to pay a flat fee for advice from an independent expert as I would with a solicitor or private doctor but don’t really want recurring % charges for the rest of my life for one conversation.

Therefore, I decided to cut out the middle man and deal with Aviva direct. They don’t offer advice (actually they refused to give it even if I paid for it). I am looking at taking 25% of the fund as a tax-free lump sum and bunging the remainder into a SIPP (Aviva Insured Funds Investment Pathway 1) as a safe place it which allows me to take it as cash when and if I need it. Aviva charge 0.4% to set this up so that seems a bargain compared to going via the IFA and they seem big, safe and unlikely to go bust when the shit hits the fan. I am not looking for mega growth or an income/annuity- just a safe haven that offers something better than a bank deposit account.

Hi.  The first thing to say is that an IFA would want to understand a lot more about your financial situation and appetite for risk before being able to give you best advice.  @golfaddick of this parish would be a good option to talk to.

In a lot of cases, though, taking the lump sum makes sense for tax reasons.  You could recycle that into an ISA and pay no more tax on income or growth.  Or blow it on hookers, champagne, coke and nice breads as George Best nearly said.

I personally also wouldn't pay on-going charges based on a percentage of assets under management as it pays regardless of the quality of advice.  A fee based on out-performance, maybe, but then that can skew advice towards overly risky assets and, again, it's a one-sided deal, with only you losing if the advice is bad.  

But I know plenty of very savvy financial people in the City who are happy to do this as it gives them peace of mind and they're not interested in investment as a hobby - they would rather spend their rapidly diminishing time on other things.

A flat fee up front and an on-going flat fee would seem to me to be more appropriate and, ultimately, why I didn't go into this business, despite having qualified to do so.

As for the choice of investment plan, I'm not sure Aviva are going to give you the best quality plan.  There are plenty of better funds and mangers out there - again, Golfie is your friend here as others would testify on this thread.  

Last, your money is safe if you are investing in any kind of SIPP from a main-stream provider.  There's no real counter-party risk with these things - the money should be ring-fenced in client accounts and is protected (beyond the level you are talking about) should for some reason the broker breaks the law on that.

Good luck with your decision!

• I am always really impressed with the expertise on here so I am Just putting this sad pension tale out there so those in the know can howl in derision at my ignorance or warn me off if it’s a completely insane plan.

Out of interest how much would you expect or want to pay an IFA to do that for you? 

I understand your frustration but IFA's have to earn a living & 3% is the norm in the industry to do a DC transfer - some firms  charge up to 5%. 

After that you don't have to pay any ongoing adviser charges if you dont want to (most firms charge 0.5% -1%), but as @Rob7lee says, there will always be the providers admin charge (or platform charge) as well as the fund charge. You should be able to get the admin/platform charge for less than 0.4% but then a decent fund could be up to 1% on top, although a basic tracker like Vanguard or Aviva should be less than 0.3%.

From what you have described it's probably not a bad idea to stick with what you are doing - stay with Aviva, take the TFC (if you need the money if not dont touch it) and transfer to a Sipp which will have the flexi-acess drawdown facility you are looking for.
  • Very many thanks for all that feedback.  Really appreciate it. Sounds like it's isn't the most shrewd move to stick with Aviva but not totally stupid either.

They offer four different risk levels too. 

I would be happy to pay say 300 quid for one hour decent detailed advice and help with the paperwork. But 1800 quid to fill some forms in seems a bit steep. If I had a big fund I wouldn't be at all happy with 3%  

Interested you say don't take the dosh unless I need it. I am still working and have a small armed forces  pension that just started at 60 so don't really need it at the moment. 

Thanks again.  

• My wife wanted to recently transfer a Aviva pension into one of their SIPP products. From what we could ascertain, and were told by them, was that if you do so you have to manage the funds yourself so beware of that or if you did want them to manage it then the product available was more restrictive and less flexible on withdrawals. As a result though I don't think there is an ongoing advisor charge as you are managing it yourself.
  • My wife wanted to recently transfer a Aviva pension into one of their SIPP products. From what we could ascertain, and were told by them, was that if you do so you have to manage the funds yourself so beware of that or if you did want them to manage it then the product available was more restrictive and less flexible on withdrawals. As a result though I don't think there is an ongoing advisor charge as you are managing it yourself.
    Yes. That was my interpretation too. Quite happy to monitor it myself.  Thanks. 
  • Very many thanks for all that feedback.  Really appreciate it. Sounds like it's isn't the most shrewd move to stick with Aviva but not totally stupid either.

They offer four different risk levels too. 

I would be happy to pay say 300 quid for one hour decent detailed advice and help with the paperwork. But 1800 quid to fill some forms in seems a bit steep. If I had a big fund I wouldn't be at all happy with 3%  

Interested you say don't take the dosh unless I need it. I am still working and have a small armed forces  pension that just started at 60 so don't really need it at the moment. 

Thanks again.  

If you don't need it right now, then leaving hopefully allows it to continue to grow, tax free. For instance if it grew to £100k your tax free lump is now £25k rather than about 16k odd etc.

Golfie may be able to advise better (due to the forces pension) but you could do a bit of recycling/double dipping as you are still working.

Take your 16k odd tax free lump sum and put it in an ISA. Each year pay some back into your pension and get tax relief all over again! There are rules around it but generally it can be done.

I've advised (I'm not qualified by the way!) many people your age to get as much into pension these last few years as humanly possible. It's your last chance to get free money off the government by way of tax relief. For every 80p you pain in it immediately grows to £1.

Worth looking into.
  • Sponsored links:

• Brilliant. Thank you. 
  • First things first thank you all for you comments on this thread, I’ve picked up a few bits reading the advice on here.

Im completely naive and in-experienced when it comes to investing and am new to it (only started June last year). It’s so frustrating that they don’t teach this important stuff at school like savings and investigating so got into it quite late.

I just wondered if people have knowledge and experience in the following funds, could I get some opinions and options for possible combinations please ? 

Fidelity index emerging markets

Fidelity index world fund

HSBC Islamic global equity index

Ishares global property equity

Ishares overseas government bond index

Legal and general cash trust

Legal and general global health and pharmaceuticals index

Legal and general global technology index

Old mutual MSCI world ESG index

Royal London emerging markets ESG leaders

• Naff all PB’s this month me or the wife. 
  • edited November 2021
    Hi all,

My first ever look at this thread, though something I’ve been meaning to get round to for some time.

Not sure if my situation is unique or not, but I’ve managed to save very well in a relatively quick period of time (5-6 years) I put it down to not leading much of an extravagant lifestyle, but also doing well with work over recent years (I’m in sales).

However, I feel like a complete novice in terms of knowledge around savings, pensions, tax etc. 

I know there is a lot more I should be doing with the savings I have - but when I see/hear/read people talking about it or I read articles - it just feels like a different language altogether. I’m really out of my depth with it.

Does anyone know an advisor that they would recommend for someone in my situation? Or, just a first place to start?

Any guidance much appreciated. 
  • edited November 2021
    First things first thank you all for you comments on this thread, I’ve picked up a few bits reading the advice on here.

Im completely naive and in-experienced when it comes to investing and am new to it (only started June last year). It’s so frustrating that they don’t teach this important stuff at school like savings and investigating so got into it quite late.

I just wondered if people have knowledge and experience in the following funds, could I get some opinions and options for possible combinations please ? 

I'm hazading a guess that they are funds that are available to you via an employers pension scheme. If so then there aren't many that you could put together to form any sort of "portfolio". 

You dont say your age, length of time the funds can be left invested on or your attitude to risk, so the following is for a Medium Risk investor with a time frame if at least 10 years 

For a very rough mix I'd go for 20% into each of the Fidelity world index, HSBC Islamic index  & the Old Mutual world index. Then 10% into the Ishares Global Property, Ishares Overseas Government Bond & L&G Cash (just because there are no other fixed interest funds) and then flip a coin for 10% into any of the others. Horrible selection of funds imo. Also I caveat the above by saying that I haven't done any due diligence on where the funds invest & you may find that 60% of your equity funds are in the US (because that is what a tracker fund does - it tracks the Index- and the World Index is heavily weighted towards the US).

To be brutely honest - if this is a pension or some form of decently sized investment I would strongly urge you to get advice as to whether you can opt out & choose different funds. 
  • cafctom said:
    Hi all,

My first ever look at this thread, though something I’ve been meaning to get round to for some time.

Not sure if my situation is unique or not, but I’ve managed to save very well in a relatively quick period of time (5-6 years) I put it down to not leading much of an extravagant lifestyle, but also doing well with work over recent years (I’m in sales).

However, I feel like a complete novice in terms of knowledge around savings, pensions, tax etc. 

I know there is a lot more I should be doing with the savings I have - but when I see/hear/read people talking about it or I read articles - it just feels like a different language altogether. I’m really out of my depth with it.

Does anyone know an advisor that they would recommend for someone in my situation? Or, just a first place to start?

Any guidance much appreciated. 
    You can always PM me....😉
  • £25 for Mr F.
  • £25 for Mr F.
    surely he's worth more than that? Does he know you are selling?
    Ah, indeed.

Better wait 48 hours, I guess as it's his 75th birthday tomorrow ....
  • First things first thank you all for you comments on this thread, I’ve picked up a few bits reading the advice on here.

I'm hazading a guess that they are funds that are available to you via an employers pension scheme. If so then there aren't many that you could put together to form any sort of "portfolio". 

You dont say your age, length of time the funds can be left invested on or your attitude to risk, so the following is for a Medium Risk investor with a time frame if at least 10 years 

For a very rough mix I'd go for 20% into each of the Fidelity world index, HSBC Islamic index  & the Old Mutual world index. Then 10% into the Ishares Global Property, Ishares Overseas Government Bond & L&G Cash (just because there are no other fixed interest funds) and then flip a coin for 10% into any of the others. Horrible selection of funds imo. Also I caveat the above by saying that I haven't done any due diligence on where the funds invest & you may find that 60% of your equity funds are in the US (because that is what a tracker fund does - it tracks the Index- and the World Index is heavily weighted towards the US).

To be brutely honest - if this is a pension or some form of decently sized investment I would strongly urge you to get advice as to whether you can opt out & choose different funds. 
    Thanks for this mate appreciate it 👍

Sorry I should have been a bit more informative, late 20s and adventurous/high risk investor over a  10-15 year period. It’s  a little side pot I opened in secret for my baby so when they turn 18 I can hopefully give them something of a decent size.

it one of the kids stocks and shares isa with that moneybox app so it’s the only funds they have and I just dump in about £100 a month in the account. I’m up about 21% to date, but I was curious as to whether I was in the right funds currently or not.
  • Sponsored links:

Sorry I should have been a bit more informative, late 20s and adventurous/high risk investor over a  10-15 year period. It’s  a little side pot I opened in secret for my baby so when they turn 18 I can hopefully give them something of a decent size.

it one of the kids stocks and shares isa with that moneybox app so it’s the only funds they have and I just dump in about £100 a month in the account. I’m up about 21% to date, but I was curious as to whether I was in the right funds currently or not.
    On that basis then you could ditch the L&G cash fund from my recommendations & replace it with one of the Emerging Markets fund. The "toss a coin" fund could then be invested in the L&G global tech fund. 

Sorry to say that they aren't that exciting & they are all tracker funds so you are basically just investing in all the shares all over the world - good & bad. 

On that basis then you could ditch the L&G cash fund from my recommendations & replace it with one of the Emerging Markets fund. The "toss a coin" fund could then be invested in the L&G global tech fund. 

Sorry to say that they aren't that exciting & they are all tracker funds so you are basically just investing in all the shares all over the world - good & bad. 

Thanks mate appreciate your time 👍 
  • First time this year that neither me or mrs ltgtr won a premium bond ‘prize’ in the monthly draw…bleeding disgrace, wouldn’t have happened under Nigel, Jacko out…

• First time this year that neither me or mrs ltgtr won a premium bond ‘prize’ in the monthly draw…bleeding disgrace, wouldn’t have happened under Nigel, Jacko out…

25 quid for me. I put it down to coming on this thread.
  • My SIPP is now at an all time high. Took a bit of a dip in October but over the last week or so has made a good recovery & then some. Tracking the funds it seems like the US has seen the best gains (where else) with 2 of the funds up 5% on the month. Even Japan is up !
  • £50 for us on the premium bonds
  • Same here regarding Sipp and personal portfolio. I've moved away from multiple BG funds this year and balanced with quality/value. The computer game of 2020 had to end at some point and am back to investing, rather than trading.

@golfaddick and others, what has your portfolio return been like this year to date? Mine has been solid at 15% but I did sell too early with the huge dip in March. My current funds that I'm reviewing are:

BG Pacific (a slow year for the sector so will hold)
    Chelverton UK Equity (The fund used to have 90 odd holdings, now it has 170+. It used to have 20% in companies sub £100mn and now has 4%. Fund size has caused him to run it differently)
  • What’s going to post the same, last tax year was ridiculous and I’m up 18.4% since April. A few funds were up 2%+ on the day yesterday.

I’ve took profit from BG and Chelverton UK in my SIPP, I’m 6 years off being able to access so am happy to bank profit where I can but have gone higher risk on current works pension that has a fair amount going in each month, I only pay £3,600 a year into my SIPP’s (mine & Wifes).
  • Would be interested to hear people's profit taking tactics/method? At what stage would you cream a bit of profit out of a fund?
  • The hefty drop in sterling saw some US based funds jump around 2% the other week. It was a nice surprise to see :-)