Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    Funny housing market.

You can't shift 1 or 2 bed flats in London......especially if they dont have a garden. 

Other properties are going before they are even listed on places like Rightmove or Zoopla.

Land Registry is snowed under & local searches are taking weeks if not months to come back. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there is another SDLT concession before the year is out. The Tories love a good housing bubble. Gives everyone something to talk about instead of Covid or Boris.
  • Options
    Funny housing market.

You can't shift 1 or 2 bed flats in London......especially if they dont have a garden. 

Other properties are going before they are even listed on places like Rightmove or Zoopla.

Land Registry is snowed under & local searches are taking weeks if not months to come back. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there is another SDLT concession before the year is out. The Tories love a good housing bubble. Gives everyone something to talk about instead of Covid or Boris.
    Certainly a strange market at the moment, we've been for sale for a week, 6 viewings but no offers yet. The price some people are putting their houses up for sale for is ludicrous. Opposite me a small 4 bed detached, £1.25m!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Funny housing market.

Certainly a strange market at the moment, we've been for sale for a week, 6 viewings but no offers yet. The price some people are putting their houses up for sale for is ludicrous. Opposite me a small 4 bed detached, £1.25m!

London and south east prices are truly mind boggling. In my neck of the woods that would get you a small country estate!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Funny housing market.

London and south east prices are truly mind boggling. In my neck of the woods that would get you a small country estate!
    I know, it's ridiculous really. Mines a slightly larger than average 3 bed semi (about 1650 sq ft), yours for 3/4 million  :D madness.

We're looking to move further down into Kent a bit, still pricey but a lot more space for your money. I can get more than double Sq ft (3,500) not that far out for around 1-1.1m. My wife found one at 1.2m 6 bed 5 bathroom that I discounted until I saw it had a 7 car garage and a sit on mower plus a separate large studio (think bar/snooker room although I may have a battle with that v a gym!) :D
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Funny housing market.

I know, it's ridiculous really. Mines a slightly larger than average 3 bed semi (about 1650 sq ft), yours for 3/4 million  :D madness.

We're looking to move further down into Kent a bit, still pricey but a lot more space for your money. I can get more than double Sq ft (3,500) not that far out for around 1-1.1m. My wife found one at 1.2m 6 bed 5 bathroom that I discounted until I saw it had a 7 car garage and a sit on mower plus a separate large studio (think bar/snooker room although I may have a battle with that v a gym!) :D
    We took the plunge last year and decided to relocate from London up to Lancashire, the difference in house prices meant we were able to buy outright a house far bigger than anything we could have afforded where we were. We now live in a lovely area to bring up our children and have been able to re address the work life balance. My wife and I both gave up our jobs with the intention of getting work up here once we were settled. Both of our employers asked us to give them some remote consultancy hours when we moved which was great for both of us.

Then COVID hit just as we were in the last throws of selling and buying and it was quite a stressful time wondering whether it would all fall through and leave us in London without full time work and with a mortgage to pay. Thankfully it didn’t and we moved here a year ago next week. A strange consequence of the pandemic has been that remote working has really taken off and both of our employers have wanted more work from us at home. So we now find ourselves where we are working less hours, have no mortgage to pay, spend more time with our children and have more disposable income. 

Obviously this has been a terrible time for so many people who have lost people close to them and suffered financially and I feel terribly lucky to have got to the position we are now in. I would say that for anyone in London in a similar situation it might be a good time to consider this kind of move.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Funny housing market.

Bar/snooker room v a gym - I can think of tougher decisions!

(and you can never have enough garages!!)
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Funny housing market.

My grandad had a snooker room and it's been my life's ambition to have one, I'm relatively easily pleased.

The current rule is I get to decide if it's enough garaging, the rest is up to Mrs R7L and daughters! (so that'll be number of bathrooms and Kitchen/utility room sizes :-) )
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Funny housing market.

My grandad had a snooker room and it's been my life's ambition to have one, I'm relatively easily pleased.

The current rule is I get to decide if it's enough garaging, the rest is up to Mrs R7L and daughters! (so that'll be number of bathrooms and Kitchen/utility room sizes :-) )
    Likewise - I'm in the process of planning a four bay carriage house with attached workshop (away from the main house so missus is happy!). I've got garaging now and plenty of off-road parking but my retirement plans include getting my hands greasy working on classic cars.
  • Options
    Generally don't invest in individual shares but do have a few legacy shares. I haven't traded for a few years and the online broker I used has stopped trading. The share registra recommends Link but their commission charges are 1.4% which is certainly a lot more than I used to pay. Anybody got a better recommendation please? 
  • Options
    redman said:
    Generally don't invest in individual shares but do have a few legacy shares. I haven't traded for a few years and the online broker I used has stopped trading. The share registra recommends Link but their commission charges are 1.4% which is certainly a lot more than I used to pay. Anybody got a better recommendation please? 
    Trading 212 is 0% commission
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    redman said:
    Are you saying you have certificates for these shares ? If so could do worse than Halifax, they will transfer the share certificates into an online account. Dealing charges £9. However, have one day a month where from 12 until 14:30 that drops to £3.50. Good service and their site is easy to use and has everything you need. 
  • Options
    redman said:
    Are you saying you have certificates for these shares ? If so could do worse than Halifax, they will transfer the share certificates into an online account. Dealing charges £9. However, have one day a month where from 12 until 14:30 that drops to £3.50. Good service and their site is easy to use and has everything you need. 
    Yes we do have a share certificate. Thanks I will have a look at this and at Trading 212.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Funny housing market.

Likewise - I'm in the process of planning a four bay carriage house with attached workshop (away from the main house so missus is happy!). I've got garaging now and plenty of off-road parking but my retirement plans include getting my hands greasy working on classic cars.
    Make sure you can get a two or preferably a four post lift in height wise. Probably a bit out of your way but I've helped put a couple up from Passmores Timber (if you want/like timber one's) very good quality.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Funny housing market.

Make sure you can get a two or preferably a four post lift in height wise. Probably a bit out of your way but I've helped put a couple up from Passmores Timber (if you want/like timber one's) very good quality.
    Yes, intending to spec a four post lift. 

I'm going for timber so will look at Passmores - thanks.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Funny housing market.

Yes, intending to spec a four post lift. 

I'm going for timber so will look at Passmores - thanks.
    Great, as well as standard/off the shelf they also do bespoke. 

https://www.passmores.co.uk/gallery/carriage-house-gallery
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Need to bump this thread up.......

Stockmarkets having a mare today. German DAX down 2.5%, same currently as the Nasdaq, with the S&P being off almost 1%. FTSE100 went from being 65 Points up at lunchtime to finishing 45 points down. 

Mainly down to tech stocks (again) and Yellen saying that US interest rates may need to rise "modestly".

Should have bloody listened to the old adage of "Sell in May & come back on St Ledger Day" as my SIPP is starting to drop again. 
  • Options
    Good buying opportunity soon. I've kept 50pc cash for a situation we may see in prices come end of week.
  • Options
    Need to bump this thread up.......

Stockmarkets having a mare today. German DAX down 2.5%, same currently as the Nasdaq, with the S&P being off almost 1%. FTSE100 went from being 65 Points up at lunchtime to finishing 45 points down. 

Mainly down to tech stocks (again) and Yellen saying that US interest rates may need to rise "modestly".

Should have bloody listened to the old adage of "Sell in May & come back on St Ledger Day" as my SIPP is starting to drop again. 
    I have tried to tell you  ;)
  • Options
    Was going to post this the other day on the thread I started about the Prudential changing their logo but got busy.........

Not sure if anyone noticed the new name fo (what was originally) Standard Life. They were bought by Aberdeen Asset Management a couple of years ago & at the time were rebranded as Aberdeen Standard Investments. They, like the Pru, think it's time to get "with it" and are now renamed as

Abrdn. 

Yep.....you read it correctly. The have decided to drop 3 "E"'s out if their name.

Wtf  ????
  • Options
    I have two green energy ETFs which did well during the conference the week before last. I considered selling them as I thought that'd be a peak but decided to hold as I'm a believer in the product. Down about 15% since that peak! They'll be back.

Meantime £50 on the premium bonds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    4 x £25 for me today!
  • Options
    1 x £25 for me and 2 x £25 for Mrs R7L. Father in law AGAIN won 2 x £25, think he's approaching 3 years now since the last time he didn't get a win.
  • Options
    nought for me, £25 for the wife
  • Options
    I see the person who won the 1m had their winning number in for just two draws, lucky sod.
  • Options
    Nought for me.
  • Options
    Finally got a better PB return than the rest of the family  :) 3x£25, junior got 2x£25 and Mrs C 1x£25. 
  • Options
    2 x £25 for me today. 
  • Options
    And we're off !

£25 today for Mr F !
  • Options
    Zilch for me this month