Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I have no empathy for Slade

I really have no empathy for Russell Slade whatsoever.

A lot of CAFC fans seem too, which o really don't understand. This unquestionable acceptance of a manager who's 23 year career doesn't herald one single promotion because he's British is frustrating enough but he willingly joined this mire of an establishment despite the evident pattern of problems his predecessors had all publicly disclosed, choosing instead to claim "I always like to take first impressions". Face it, we were the best he could get. He'd been moved downwards pretending to be sideways by a club where he was punching well above his weight, his best achievement to date is either staving off relegation with forever minnows or turning relegation fodder into a stable third tier club. We needed a manager with a proven track record of stabilising teams and quickly moving them to the next level and keeping them there, but they cost money and, more importantly, you have to be an attractive proposition and we are most certainly not. Even the OS could only offer a stand out achievement of "league one manager of the year". We were by far Slade's best option and he was our third choice, the only one desperate enough to take the job.

Does he remember in his first press conference when all the media laughed when in response to the question about whether or not he had contractual control over transfers, he said not contractual but certainly verbal? Yeah bet he remembers now! I could have predicted this. A few splash plays in the transfer market early of players who we our also their best option and now when the going gets tough the only thing going is the rest of our first team.

Our situation and our image as a club is so toxic people need to start considering that we aren't going to be attracting the kind of players we might have thought we would, biggest budget or not. Remember when Slade and Meire giggled arrogantly like little school girls about the kind of player connections they could make together? How about the three player calls Slade took off established league one players the morning he was appointed? Where are they then? Yes, that's right, you're not laughing my more are you?

Now he's out there vainly trying to embarrass the club through the national and local press. The funds might not be there but neither was the wage bill ever going to be after a relegation, what did he expect when he combined that with eveything he knew about the ownership? I'm not at all surprised about the player exits, only Nick Pope's really caught me off guard and I'm not all surprised we have only acquired four signings of any real recognition.

Slade played with fire, now he's getting burnt. This will be another Bob a Peeters and it will forever be until this owner and his staff are gone forever.

Comments

• Options
    Never liked him, never have. Don't know why.
  • Options
    Shouldn't it be " empathy with Slade ?
  • Options

Either's fine

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/empathy-with-or-empathy-for/
  • Options
    Don't worry, once all the windfall from the thousands of fans rocking up 2 hours prior to kick-off paying the £3 surcharge starts to flood in, we'll still have a few weeks left of the transfer window to start making some choice purchases.
  • Options
    Valid points.

Especially about his lack of achievements within 23 years of managing..

..but in terms of the manager we would bring in at this level and with this lot, the bar was already set rather low for us...so the simple fact that he's British and knows the league, that was a starting point and a relief.

Wouldn't describe him to be "vainly trying to embarrass the club through local press"

He could have held off...maybe. Even though I want the regime to be embarrassed, the correct thing for him to do would have been just to say where working on bringing in a lot more players, because we need to.

Didn't necessarily have to go "overboard"....whoever he works for, however unpopular, it still looks a tad unprofessional.

Obviously if you upset the person paying your wages and making it a little bit public, then nothing's going to get resolved or move forward normally and peacefully.

I disregard it though, my honest opinion, I think frustration boiled over and opened his gob up because he cares about his job.
  • Options

I really have no empathy for Russell Slade whatsoever.

A lot of CAFC fans seem too, which o really don't understand. This unquestionable acceptance of a manager who's 23 year career doesn't herald one single promotion because he's British is frustrating enough but he willingly joined this mire of an establishment despite the evident pattern of problems his predecessors had all publicly disclosed, choosing instead to claim "I always like to take first impressions". Face it, we were the best he could get. He'd been moved downwards pretending to be sideways by a club where he was punching well above his weight, his best achievement to date is either staving off relegation with forever minnows or turning relegation fodder into a stable third tier club. We needed a manager with a proven track record of stabilising teams and quickly moving them to the next level and keeping them there, but they cost money and, more importantly, you have to be an attractive proposition and we are most certainly not. Even the OS could only offer a stand out achievement of "league one manager of the year". We were by far Slade's best option and he was our third choice, the only one desperate enough to take the job.

Does he remember in his first press conference when all the media laughed when in response to the question about whether or not he had contractual control over transfers, he said not contractual but certainly verbal? Yeah bet he remembers now! I could have predicted this. A few splash plays in the transfer market early of players who we our also their best option and now when the going gets tough the only thing going is the rest of our first team.

Our situation and our image as a club is so toxic people need to start considering that we aren't going to be attracting the kind of players we might have thought we would, biggest budget or not. Remember when Slade and Meire giggled arrogantly like little school girls about the kind of player connections they could make together? How about the three player calls Slade took off established league one players the morning he was appointed? Where are they then? Yes, that's right, you're not laughing my more are you?

Now he's out there vainly trying to embarrass the club through the national and local press. The funds might not be there but neither was the wage bill ever going to be after a relegation, what did he expect when he combined that with eveything he knew about the ownership? I'm not at all surprised about the player exits, only Nick Pope's really caught me off guard and I'm not all surprised we have only acquired four signings of any real recognition.

Slade played with fire, now he's getting burnt. This will be another Bob a Peeters and it will forever be until this owner and his staff are gone forever.

Spot on.

No-one decent/with any self-respect would have touched us with a bargepole.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Valid points.

..but in terms of the manager we would bring in at this level and with this lot, the bar was already set rather low for us...so the simple fact that he's British and knows the league, that was a starting point and a relief.

Wouldn't describe him to be "vainly trying to embarrass the club through local press"

He could have held off...maybe. Even though I want the regime to be embarrassed, the correct thing for him to do would have been just to say where working on bringing in a lot more players, because we need to.

Didn't necessarily have to go "overboard"....whoever he works for, however unpopular, it still looks a tad unprofessional.

Obviously if you upset the person paying your wages and making it a little bit public, then nothing's going to get resolved or move forward normally and peacefully.

I disregard it though, my honest opinion, I think frustration boiled over and opened his gob up because he cares about his job.

Yet people called Chris Powell SCP when he had never actually managed a team
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Or he could be using us. Imagine 12 months from now and we are promoted. He has a promotion on his cv working with katrien. That should raise his stock!

People can raise their stock with us, slade promotion and ajose if he scores goals. If they fail, they have a good excuse as to why but if they suceed in this climate they can suceed anywhere.

I want to boot katrien between the legs as much as the rest of you but if I was in the football industry, I would see success at Charlton right now as a very good thing to have on my cv
  • Options
    I tend to agree with the original poster. Never really had much enthusiasm for the Slade appointment in the first place. Have nothing against the guy at all but he just doesn't fill me with any enthusiasm. A bit like all things charlton at the moment.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

Dave2l said:

Valid points.

Because he played for us on 3 separate occasions (in simple terms).....and believe it or not, this may come as a shock to you, but some fans of football clubs quite like it when favourite ex players move on to eventually become coaches at their football clubs, it feels nice because you sense that the individual has an affiliation with the club and understands it, therefore will be more passionate about the job, which is what footballs all about.

The point you highlighted in bold, then the point you just made to counter my point, is not a very good one considering Chris Powell, in his first full season of management actually did what Russell Slade has never done in 23 years, and that's win promotion.

Well he won a league.

Sir Russell Slade it is then......
  • Options
    I think Russ has come in to shove it down the throat of the owner of how to run a football club in England. The owner was never going to accept it from Sir Chris. Hope he will listen to Russ.
  • Options
    Jesus Christ, isn't it possible to ban people for sheer stupidity?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Either's fine

Shouldn't it be sympathy for Slade though...
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

cafc999 said:

Dave2l said:

Valid points.

Because he played for us on 3 separate occasions (in simple terms).....and believe it or not, this may come as a shock to you, but some fans of football clubs quite like it when favourite ex players move on to eventually become coaches at their football clubs, it feels nice because you sense that the individual has an affiliation with the club and understands it, therefore will be more passionate about the job, which is what footballs all about.

The point you highlighted in bold, then the point you just made to counter my point, is not a very good one considering Chris Powell, in his first full season of management actually did what Russell Slade has never done in 23 years, and that's win promotion.

Well he won a league.

Sir Russell Slade it is then......
    But you didn't know that he would do that at the start did you..??

Anyway, lets move on and all support Sir Russell Slade
  • Options

Chizz said:

Either's fine

Shouldn't it be sympathy for Slade though...
    If the OP wants to write about his lack of empathy, that's fine. If you want to write about your lack of sympathy that's fine too. I don't decide what the OP gets to write about!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Slade was wrong to sign Crofts on the basis of his injury record, previous poor form and not standing out in pre-season. I doubt he had much input into our other three seemingly decent signings. The hoofball from friendlies is also worrying. But I will give him until Xmas before I give him thumbs up or down.
  • Options

I think Slade was wrong to sign Crofts on the basis of his injury record, previous poor form and not standing out in pre-season. I doubt he had much input into our other three seemingly decent signings. The hoofball from friendlies is also worrying. But I will give him until Xmas before I give him thumbs up or down.

The signs of hoofball isn't that worrying. It's pretty much a fair indication of how to play at league one level. It's never gonna be pretty.
  • Options

Or "sympathy for". I think the OP means this, although I also think none of us particularly has any empathy with Slade.
  • Options
    Cool opening post!
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Either's fine

Well, that's a Septic site and they don't know how to speak or write proper English (empathize anyone?) so I'll happily ignore what they say and stick with 'with'.
  • Options
    I have no sympathy for Slade, is what I think you you meant.

I have no empathy for Slade makes no sense at all.

Like a lot of other things Charlton, I think it's best to wait & see what squad we have when the window closes, before we start celebrating promotion or slashing our wrists over relegation.

• Options
    Slade is possibly the least worst idiot these idiots could get, but I hear ya....
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Greenie said:

Cool opening post!

I empathize with you bro.....
  • Options
    "Least worst" doesn't make sense. Surely it should be "least bad".
  • Options
    Charlton fans :smiley: