Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How much does staging a game at the Valley cost the club?

With crowds now a fraction of what they were 10 years ago, if we have another poor season (likely given the squad) could RD decide there is no point in having all 4 stands open for league games because of the cost?

Are there FL rules that require you to have all of your stands open even if they are sparsely populated?

Comments

• Already part of their thinking. They ideally would like to shut North Upper (shows how much they really care) and I believe parts of others.

Sad state of affairs, there's something quite eerie about any part of our Valley being closed for any proper Charlton match. Something needs to change and it's not in the stands that are open.

• Yes

No, Leeds closed a ~8000 seat section.
  • The savings from closing stands are marginal and always likely to be offset by lost season ticket holders. Closing a stand doesn't affect the police bill, street cleaning or traffic management arrangements, which are significant costs.
  • Bradford is another team with a big ground at our level, but as far I know they havent closed stands down even at their worst times.
  • Bradford have still got something like 16,000 ST holders
  • I have it on good authority that whilst Roland may be ambivalent about income, he is obsessed with cutting costs.
    I would like to think that any games I attend next season will cost Roland more than he planned for. I intend to get my money's worth as an individual.
  • The savings from closing stands are marginal and always likely to be offset by lost season ticket holders. Closing a stand doesn't affect the police bill, street cleaning or traffic management arrangements, which are significant costs.

Would also complicate the arrangement with the Caterers Deleware North although I think that relationship is going too well anyway.

If they could save a quid by closing a stand they would look into it and do it.

But even they would be embarrassed to have an empty East Stand, for example, for a league game surely?
  • edited July 2016

The savings from closing stands are marginal and always likely to be offset by lost season ticket holders. Closing a stand doesn't affect the police bill, street cleaning or traffic management arrangements, which are significant costs.

Would also complicate the arrangement with the Caterers Deleware North although I think that relationship is going too well anyway.

If they could save a quid by closing a stand they would look into it and do it.

But even they would be embarrassed to have an empty East Stand, for example, for a league game surely?
    About 900 season ticket holders in there even now. I think they'd lose a big chunk of those if they shut the stand as it's a pretty clear signal of hopelessness.

Upper west most likely but that entails other problems.
  • I think we can learn a lot from the way Bradford City have tried to sustain attendances.
    The Gods of Football decided to reward the club by creating the greatest cup upset of all time.
    Nothing can take away from the Bradford fans and regime how good that comeback victory at Chelsea must have felt
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCTrev said:

Bradford is another team with a big ground at our level, but as far I know they havent closed stands down even at their worst times.

Capacity is about 25k and they had the 2nd highest average attendance in league one last season
  • Would be an opportunity to not sell the tickets around the dug out so allowing room to rebuild and expand them.

Not nice for people who've had ST there for a long time but at least now can offer alternative seats and a discount/free ST to those that they move.

I see them quite a lot the ground is generally pretty full. They do a lot of incentive work for the fans to get them to keep renewing. The in laws have had st's for years. As an example of how they treat their fans.. A couple of seasons ago they played Chelsea in the FA cup the in laws couldn't get tickets because of the way BCFC put them up for sale, father in law emailed the club explaining that they had attended all cup matches home & away for 2/3 seasons previously. He got a swift reply from their CEO who invited to meet with them in his office and when there gave him 2 tickets gratis and gave them a full apology!!! That is customer service and how to build relationships with your fans.
    That sounds like another world from what we've been saddled with doesn't it.

I see them quite a lot the ground is generally pretty full. They do a lot of incentive work for the fans to get them to keep renewing. The in laws have had st's for years. As an example of how they treat their fans.. A couple of seasons ago they played Chelsea in the FA cup the in laws couldn't get tickets because of the way BCFC put them up for sale, father in law emailed the club explaining that they had attended all cup matches home & away for 2/3 seasons previously. He got a swift reply from their CEO who invited to meet with them in his office and when there gave him 2 tickets gratis and gave them a full apology!!! That is customer service and how to build relationships with your fans.
    The real irony is our Club wrote the manual on building a rapport with it's supporters, developing the stadium and filling it. All that happened was everyone involved in doing that has since been sacked and we have a grossly incompetent, personally deluded and arrogant Belgian ego maniac running the club. Most of those with real insight and capability support CARD because they realise there ia only one way out of the current predicament.
  • Would be an opportunity to not sell the tickets around the dug out so allowing room to rebuild and expand them.

We need smaller dugouts at this rate, not bigger!