Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2016-17 v 2009-10

How do we compare, leaving aside U21 and later loanees?

Squad then:

Goal

Elliott
Randolph

Defence

Richardson
Youga
Llera
Basey
Sodje
Solly
Dailly

Midfield

Bailey
Semedo
Shelvey
Racon
Sam
Spring
Wagstaffe

Forwards

Burton
Dickson
Mooney
Sodje
McKenzie
McLeod

Squad now:

Goal

Henderson
Pope

Defence

Solly
Lennon
Teixeira
Bauer
Johnson
Fox
Holmes-Dennis

Midfield

Diarra
Ba
Kashi
Ceballos
Holmes
Harriott

Forwards

Novak
Watt
Ahearne-Grant
Lookman
Ajose

The squad now still looks a bit stronger but - in my view - we had better goalkeepers in 2009 and a better midfield. Defence and strikers look better in 2016.

If anything is done we need to bring in a couple of good midfielders.

Comments

• I don't have any faith in our current midfielders. I know people think Kashi and maybe Ba are decent, but they've proven nothing, so I'd take the 2010 guys but keep our current defence and attack.
  • Agree with that. Better defence and attack now, better midfield then, although you've missed out JJ for this year.

But I think you could argue that 90% of teams in the league this year are better than 7 years ago.
  • Agree with that. Better defence and attack now, better midfield then, although you've missed out JJ for this year.

But I think you could argue that 90% of teams in the league this year are better than 7 years ago.

Oooooops - Sorry about Jackson.

The point I was getting to was that the squad now is ok(ish) but anything more than a mid table finish might be unlikely. And - as with the Premiership and the Championship - the margin between reasonable survival and relegation is small, a couple of points sometimes, and can be down to bad luck, bad planning the arrangement of fixtures, injuries as much as anything else.

To be sure of staying up we need another 2-3 signings. To be sure of promotion another 4-5.

Otherwise a brush with League Two beckons.
  • That team in 2009-10 was probably just a left winger and a striker short of automatic promotion. Still makes me a bit sad as I liked our 2009-10 squad.
  • MrLargo said:

Parkinson deserved more credit for what he achieved that season - hampered by being lumbered with Pardew signings such as McLeod that we couldn't give away so only able to bring in free transfers. Dailly and Richardson were absolutely excellent signings given the circumstances.

Absolutely. He was also hindered by the problems Leon McKenzie was going through (meaning he couldn't be the support to Deon Burton and Nicky Bailey on the goal-scoring front that we needed) and the lack of money meaning we had to hope players like Holden (was it Luke?) could contribute. That squad had some quality but was just a bit too small to finish the job. I really liked Richardson that season.

2009/10 was a much harder division, we were up against some excellent players and teams that year

We were up against Leeds, Norwich (with Holt and Hoolihan), Soton (with Lambert, Fonte, Schneiderlin and Lallana) plus a well managed Millwall and Swindon (with Charlie Austin!). Norwich got 2 consecutive promotions, while Soton (who had a points deduction in 2009/10) got 2 consecutive promotions, starting the next season.

Our squad that year was much the same as the one we were relegated with, whereas this season we've lost nearly all our best players, that's a key difference.

2009/10 was a much harder division, we were up against some excellent players and teams that year

We were up against Leeds, Norwich (with Holt and Hoolihan), Soton (with Lambert, Fonte, Schneiderlin and Lallana) plus a well managed Millwall and Swindon (with Charlie Austin!). Norwich got 2 consecutive promotions, while Soton (who had a points deduction in 2009/10) got 2 consecutive promotions, starting the next season.

Our squad that year was much the same as the one we were relegated with, whereas this season we've lost nearly all our best players, that's a key difference.
    Agree with this. And I believe League One this year is all much of a muchness. Some 'big' clubs that don't really have a particularly good side yet like Coventry & Sheff Utd. Some sides that you would expect to compete like Bradford, MK Dons, Millwall... But ourselves and these 5 are not too far apart from anyone else in the division. So if we really wanted to strengthen the chance would be there to have a successful season. It depends if funds are made available or not.
  • I think there are a few on the 16/17 list who won't be there at the start of the season. Watt being the most obvious! And Teixeira, Bauer, Diarra, Kashi and Lookman.
  • MrLargo said:

Parkinson deserved more credit for what he achieved that season - hampered by being lumbered with Pardew signings such as McLeod that we couldn't give away so only able to bring in free transfers. Dailly and Richardson were absolutely excellent signings given the circumstances.

Agree that Parkinson was very unlucky not to take us straight back. In the first half of the season we only lost 2 games and were still only in 4th place. After Shelvey dropped out of regular appearances we lost a further 6 games - one of which (0-1 at home to Leyton Orient on a freezing cold night in January) I recollect feeling, at the time, ensured we wouldn't get automatic promotion. And, of course, there was the stupid decision to sell Shelvey before the season was over.

The departures of Pope, Gudmundsson and Watt in the last few days have now weakened us still further.

Important factor to consider is morale? How do the players feel? About the club, the owner, the atmosphere at home games, and - if non-UK nationals - about the multiple uncertainties caused by what happened on June 23rd. And about where their careers might go if they stay at Charlton and things don't change.

I would guess that at best we'll get a mid table season, by virtue of Slade (and Nugent) being good enough to achieve at least that.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrLargo said:

Agree that Parkinson was very unlucky not to take us straight back. In the first half of the season we only lost 2 games and were still only in 4th place. After Shelvey dropped out of regular appearances we lost a further 6 games - one of which (0-1 at home to Leyton Orient on a freezing cold night in January) I recollect feeling, at the time, ensured we wouldn't get automatic promotion. And, of course, there was the stupid decision to sell Shelvey before the season was over.

The departures of Pope, Gudmundsson and Watt in the last few days have now weakened us still further.

Important factor to consider is morale? How do the players feel? About the club, the owner, the atmosphere at home games, and - if non-UK nationals - about the multiple uncertainties caused by what happened on June 23rd. And about where their careers might go if they stay at Charlton and things don't change.

I would guess that at best we'll get a mid table season, by virtue of Slade (and Nugent) being good enough to achieve at least that.
    It was a frustrating season when you look back at it because had we only turned ONE of those defeats into a victory we'd have got that 2nd spot, of course those you could look back at Leeds / Millwall results and say the same for them though.
  • I remember reading a lot of "I know he didn't have any money but..." around Parkinson. There was no but. He had NO money. He cobbled a team together that was not only competitive, but almost good enough to go up.

I think what he achieved was quite amazing in the circumstances, and he conducted himself with class. Really like the guy, and hope he knows he still has a lot of respect from, at least some, Charlton fans.
  • Still a huge admirer of Parkinson.

Unlucky to not be promoted in the hardest League 1 ever.

Did his best without a proper striker
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I remember reading a lot of "I know he didn't have any money but..." around Parkinson. There was no but. He had NO money. He cobbled a team together that was not only competitive, but almost good enough to go up.

I think what he achieved was quite amazing in the circumstances, and he conducted himself with class. Really like the guy, and hope he knows he still has a lot of respect from, at least some, Charlton fans.

I think thats why I'm of the opinion that we could give this season and good go and end up in a promotion position.

Under Parkinson we were able to finish fourth in an extremely hard league, now its a bit easier I reckon we should be able to do at least the same
  • God that forward line was poor.

Agree about Keeper and defense being better.

While I think our last time in L1 had more stand-out teams, Norwich, Southampton, Sheff Wed., I think the league is far more even now, which is proving to be the case more and more through the divisions. I don't think there are many teams that are absolute dross as there were back then.
  • edited July 2016
    Just so relieved that Tranmere arent in League One anymore.

It was the most BORING fixture every bloody season that we played them... We beat them 4-0 on our first trip there after being relegated the first season and then every other result was 1-1 (five on the trot)

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/head_to_head.sd?team_id=527&team2_id=2598