Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hamburg

I am planning to spend 5 days in hamburg in a few months time, have any of you learned friends been there before and can recommend any hotels, sight seeing and any do's and don'ts. Thanks.

Comments

• edited July 2016
    Worked in Hamburg for a year - can't really suggest any hotels as I lived in an apartment.

There are literally loads of things to do and see. Try and tie your trip in with a match - fantastic stadium. I'll post a more In depth list later on. But it really is a top place.
  • Went there for the Klitschko v Haye "fight".

Stayed in the Steigenberger hotel. Very central and would definitely recommend.
  • Going just after new year for a couple of days as part of a longer trip to Germany. Mainly so the Missus can go here: http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/
  • Went there for the Klitschko v Haye "fight".

Stayed in the Steigenberger hotel. Very central and would definitely recommend.

That's when I went. Don't remember ever being in rain quite as aggressive as that Saturday night

City centre is great fun, loads to do
  • You should do a harbour tour if the weather conditions are fine.
    http://www.barkassen-meyer.de/harbour-tour/
    The fishmarket on Sundays is also worth a visit. But after a long Saturday night, getting up early is hard.
    http://www.hamburg-travel.com/attractions/hamburg-maritime/fish-market/
  • My wife spent a year there at university so have been several times.

What sort of thing are you looking for? Is this a lads' trip or are you after more family attractions? It pretty much has it all.

If you can get to see Hamburger SV it's a great experience. Also Miniatur Wunderland is very entertaining and better than it sounds.
  • Jodaius said:

My wife spent a year there at university so have been several times.

What sort of thing are you looking for? Is this a lads' trip or are you after more family attractions? It pretty much has it all.

If you can get to see Hamburger SV it's a great experience. Also Miniatur Wunderland is very entertaining and better than it sounds.

A St Pauli game will be more fun. Although it's 2. Bundesliga.
  • Going just after new year for a couple of days as part of a longer trip to Germany. Mainly so the Missus can go here: http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/

Have always thought this looks brilliant

I've always wanted to visit there
  • It's mental. Have been twice with friends as part of quite well behaved stag dos. Reeperbahn is a fantastic buzz, some hardcore people and places but safe. The harbour tour dinner cruise is great, mainly because most of the guests are Germans of an age who are older middle age who will let down their hair with heavy drinking to have fun; it was a great spectacle. So many good bars, schwarma and kebab joints and restaurants. Go exploring!
  • Sponsored links:

• Terrific city - Minatur Wunderland is amazing and well worth a visit (go early or late in the day, it gets packed).

Fantastic little bars in the streets off the Reeperbahn - it's seedy in parts (particularly around Hans-Albers Platz) but it's no worse than parts of Soho used to be. Worth a couple of nights exploring and getting a taste for bottles of Astra. (Try the jukebox in the Silbersack bar in Silbersackstraße to get you started...)

If you can, get to see St Pauli - incredible experience, 2.Bundesliga football feels about equivalent to League One so you'll be used to it by then :-) If you're really keen on seeing football, try the non-league clubs Altona 93 and Victoria Hamburg too - they get decent crowds.

If you're looking for something sedate, the boat tours around the Alster are great, though might be chilly in January! You can also hop around the city on river buses, which are included in ordinary travel tickets.

If you're going with a partner, try Hotel St Annen (http://hotelstannen.de/) which is very nice - close to St Pauli and the Reeperbahn too. Otherwise there's plenty of Ibis-type accommodation nearby.

• Thanks guys going with the gf. She's open minded about things so should be fun.
  • MadGerman said:

You should do a harbour tour if the weather conditions are fine.
    http://www.barkassen-meyer.de/harbour-tour/
    The fishmarket on Sundays is also worth a visit. But after a long Saturday night, getting up early is hard.
    http://www.hamburg-travel.com/attractions/hamburg-maritime/fish-market/

The classic way of enjoying the Saturday night and not missing out on the Fischmarkt early doors Sunday is not to go to bed at all. Downside with this approach is that it tends to wipe out the remainder of Sunday.
  • Posting without reading. Been Hamburg loads of times. Reeperbahn - loads of places. Fishmarkt late doors.

Loads of grot if you want it.

Never been to sv but been to st Pauli loads. Only Germany in the 21st century would you see a double demin geezer banging a bird on the terrace (at Kiel away),

Contrary to popular belief, they have a lot of time for beer swilling Englishman footy fans.

You will have a good time in Hamburg.

• The "Oberhafen Kantine" bar/restaurant is a quaint fun wonky place on the river to go for a pint and a meal (http://www.oberhafenkantine-hamburg.de/).
    Even if you can't get to a game a visit to the St Pauli ground and the surrounding area is worthwhile. The stadium and area is unique due to it's anti fascist status and graffiti and it's the poorer artistic part of the city so has a rough edge to it whereas the city centre, whilst good, I found a a bit more sterile.
  • Jodaius said:

My wife spent a year there at university so have been several times.

Just a general look round and maybe the odd train journey out. I am going sunday to thursday so probably won't get a match in. Going with the gf also.
  • I went to Hamburg for my stag do, Firstly the people of Hamburg were brilliant, so friendly much more so than any other European country/city I've been to).

My 3 favourite places (in no particular order)

The Dolls House - buy lots of dollars & have lots of fun
  • Been told people from hamburg are difficult to make friends but when you do they are friends for life. And this was from a German who came from koln
  • In regards to accommodation I'd go BnB. Cheaper than hotels and you can get an apartment to yourselves.
  • edited July 2016

Been told people from hamburg are difficult to make friends but when you do they are friends for life. And this was from a German who came from koln

Can't speak for Hamburg, but I'm still trying to get over how friendly everyone was in Berlin two weeks ago. I've really taken a liking to the Germans, even managed to get a laugh out of a couple of them!

Edit; just realised I worked with a guy from Hamburg when I worked in Sweden, he was a really decent guy. A tad shy, but after a few pints he was quality - he ended up being my Sports Bar buddy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Berlin and Hamburg are very different cities, although both fantastic places. As a port city, Hamburg feels a bit like a British city at times (and has the northern climate to boot). They also have our drinking appetite...

Might be a bit cold for it in January, but a dirt cheap trip out is Blankenese, a very affluent fishing village on the outskirts of Hamburg - it's at the end of one of the S-Bahn lines or you can go by boat. You can sit out on the Elbe and have a beer at the boating clubs.
  • As with pretty much any city or major town in Germany you won't be disappointed. Reeperbahn a must!
  • Try the street of windows in the Reperbahn. Fine example of UPVC glazing at its best and very tough glass judging by the way the ladies bang on it to attract your attention!!!!!