Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Open 2016

No thread yet?! Hopefully this will mean people stop talking about golf at the Olympics.

I have put small sums on Grace, Oosthuizen (standard), then EW on Kuchar, Lingmerth and Sullivan.

If Dustin Johnson plays like he did at Firestone and Oakmont though then everyone else can forget about it. Jason Day had an "injury scare" yesterday.

Hopefully scores aren't too low, there's not much wind in the forecasts.

Comments

• Kaymer ew for me... Paddy paying 8 places and Kaymer top 8 in 3 of last 5 majors. Value at 50/1
  • Charl Schwartzel 66/1
    Branden Grace 25/1
    Rickie Fowler 33/1
  • O'Meara, Clarke, Lawrie, Faldo, Price
  • fowler ew as i always back him
  • Brandon Grace E/W
  • Sullivan, Knox and Garcia ew
  • Done Spieth to win as I always do as well as Grace, Lowry & Fitzpatrick ew.
  • Will have a look at the odds now. Butch Harmon said that Rory was looking very good in practice, might have a couple of quid on Stenson.

Well worth watching Sky's progs about past winners if you get a chance. Really enjoyed the one with Tom Watson yesterday, shows you can be a winner and an absolute gentleman at the same time. Same goes for The Golden Bear.
  • edited July 2016
    I've done.....

Chris Wood e/w 90/1
    Shane Lowry win 35/1
    Johnson or McIlroy to lead after Rd 1 11/1

All on PP
  • Sponsored links:

• Lowry e/w at 40's
  • Sent three of my team up there Tuesday last week weather has been foul course sodden, take that into account guys as it's a big factor at Troon I n my opinion, hoping to get there for last day this yr again.
  • Gone for Rose, Z Johnson, Chris Wood, F Molinari and Hatton all e/w.

Can't pick between the big 4 and with the places paying so low e/w were the way to go for me.
  • Molinari @ 100/1 my each way shout.
  • edited July 2016
    Gone with Fowler as always E/W

Stenson E/W
    Adam Scott to win
  • I've done Rory (11/1), Dustin Johnson (9/1), Paul Casey (50/1), Justin Rose (22/1) and Lee Westwood (28/1) all e/w (paying top 6) on Bet Victor.
  • Just in case folk weren't aware the golf is already live on Sky. Monty had a shocker on the first!
  • edited July 2016
    such a pity that the R&A gave up the rights to broadcast to Sky. I always enjoyed the BBC coverage, no bloody adverts etc. Yes, I do subscribe to Sky (via Virgin) but terrestrial TV is losing more and more big sporting events to satellite broadcasters and many people cant afford the monthly subscription. I wish the government would add The Open back to the protected sports that is then live and accessible to all.
  • Couldn't agree more, the Open should definitely be on the list of protected events.
  • such a pity that the R&A gave up the rights to broadcast to Sky. I always enjoyed the BBC coverage, no bloody adverts etc. Yes, I do subscribe to Sky (via Virgin) but terrestrial TV is losing more and more big sporting events to satellite broadcasters and many people cant afford the monthly subscription. I wish the government would add The Open back to the protected sports that is then live and accessible to all.

100% agree. I think it's a massive shame.

I know we pay for it but the coverage is very very good on Sky though.

The weather is completely benign this morning, absolute birdie fest for those out early.
  • Sponsored links:

• I agree with regards to the coverage, but having watched the build up this week on sky it's been absolutely superb and no one can doubt they do a good job when they get the rights to a sporting event
  • I agree with regards to the coverage, but having watched the build up this week on sky it's been absolutely superb and no one can doubt they do a good job when they get the rights to a sporting event

I don't disagree with how well they cover the sports, my beef is it is only those that can afford to pay that see it. Many many people I know cant afford Sky/Virgin and now they can only see highlights on Beeb 2 late in the evening. There was always something comforting for me watching The Open and listening to Peter Alliss, Ken Brown, et-al, and I always looked forward to the final afternoon, now i have to share that with crappy adverts.
  • Sky should snap up Ken Brown.....'Ken on the course is brilliant'

I don't disagree with how well they cover the sports, my beef is it is only those that can afford to pay that see it. Many many people I know cant afford Sky/Virgin and now they can only see highlights on Beeb 2 late in the evening. There was always something comforting for me watching The Open and listening to Peter Alliss, Ken Brown, et-al, and I always looked forward to the final afternoon, now i have to share that with crappy adverts.
    Agree with all of that RM. All of it apart from the Ken Brown bit, find him very annoying and a friend who was lucky enough to go behind the scenes at Sandwich a few years back said he was a complete bell.

• red_murph said:

I agree with regards to the coverage, but having watched the build up this week on sky it's been absolutely superb and no one can doubt they do a good job when they get the rights to a sporting event

Agree with all of that RM. All of it apart from the Ken Brown bit, find him very annoying and a friend who was lucky enough to go behind the scenes at Sandwich a few years back said he was a complete bell.

I've heard similar. I'm not a fan.

BBC don't deserve it after prioritising Bargain Hunt repeats over the final round last year.
  • edited July 2016
    RedPanda said:

red_murph said:

I agree with regards to the coverage, but having watched the build up this week on sky it's been absolutely superb and no one can doubt they do a good job when they get the rights to a sporting event

I've heard similar. I'm not a fan.

BBC don't deserve it after prioritising Bargain Hunt repeats over the final round last year.
    I think the Beeb made a mistake last year yes, but over 50+ years they have done a good job and I'm not sure the R&A hadn't already told the Beeb that as from, originally 2017, that they were moving to Sky. The Beeb then had to give up for this year to cut expenditure a bit like they had to for F1 and pass to Ch4 a year early ( I believe). I'm not saying it had to be BBC that kept it (although that would have been my preferred choice) I'm arguing for it to be on Free-to-view for the majority of people. Anyway what's done is done, but feel the R&A have done a disservice to the many in the pursuit of bigger bucks.
  • chucked a couple more on

bubba ew and lowry ew
  • Monty was 125/1 to be leading after day one. I know he's an old fat bastard but this is his course. Currently -2 thru 8.
  • I think the Beeb made a mistake last year yes, but over 50+ years they have done a good job and I'm not sure the R&A hadn't already told the Beeb that as from, originally 2017, that they were moving to Sky. The Beeb then had to give up for this year to cut expenditure a bit like they had to for F1 and pass to Ch4 a year early ( I believe). I'm not saying it had to be BBC that kept it (although that would have been my preferred choice) I'm arguing for it to be on Free-to-view for the majority of people. Anyway what's done is done, but feel the R&A have done a disservice to the many in the pursuit of bigger bucks.

I do agree with you to a large extent. I'll have to watch on Kodi and it's the first ever Open my dad can't watch live. There will be a lot of people like that.

I do also think the BBC's coverage has gone downhill over the years. Some of the people they've had on have been terrible. Sky are earning their money (or my Kodi viewing) by showing practice rounds live, starting at 6:30am, having adverts once an hour, etc.

I could also listen to Butch Harmon all day.
  • I love watching the Open without knowing much about golf. Was looking forward to watching it and had no idea it wouldn't be on the BBC. Totally gutted. Watching the highlights is just not the same.