Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Golfers and the Olympics

I know it's a concern for some, but the Golf in the Olympics (which should never have been there anyway) is going to be a complete joke, as competitor after competitor pull out over Zika. McIlroy, McDowell, Day, Lowry have all pulled out, while Scott and Oosthuizen won't be there either.

No other sport has had these withdrawals, surely the best thing would be to cancel the golf completely.

Comments

• it undermines the Olympics - might as well have snooker and darts in it!
  • it undermines the Olympics - might as well have snooker and darts in it!

Or indeed reinstate chess.
  • edited June 2016
    It is a shame that proper sports without the benefit of prizemoney are seeing their categories and medals reduced to facilitate these overpaid ponces adding to their trophy cabinet. Baseball, tennis, golf?? Ffs all US TV favorites. Look forward to Rugby 7s though.
  • I was astonished that wrestling was dropped at one point from the 2016 games. The west might not be interested, but it's a massive sport in much of Asia, and one of the Classic Olympic events
  • Shouldn't be in the olympics in the first place as far as I'm concerned and I'm a passionate golfer. No valid reason for saying that other than instinct I'm afraid. Neither golf nor the olympics have missed each other so far and in sure it's not a big deal for the big players. By all means have it in there but make it for the amateurs.
  • What makes this situation all the more farcical is all the top male golfers pulling out over Zika, while the female players are still going!
  • What makes this situation all the more farcical is all the top male golfers pulling out over Zika, while the female players are still going!

I do find it strange that no women have pulled out, but I understand the LPGA is putting a lot of pressure on the women golfers because of the greater TV exposure.
  • It is a shame that proper sports without the benefit of prizemoney are seeing their categories and medals reduced to facilitate these overpaid ponces adding to their trophy cabinet. Baseball, tennis, golf?? Ffs all US TV favorites.

Don't forget the usual procession to another USA basketball gold.
  • agreed .. no way is golf appropriate as an Olympic 'sport' .. what next ? Formula 1

I do find it strange that no women have pulled out, but I understand the LPGA is putting a lot of pressure on the women golfers because of the greater TV exposure.
    Lol, a poster from Thailand talking about women "pulling out", superb :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/36662090
    Three-time major winner Padraig Harrington, who is set to take one of the two Irish places available, understands his colleagues' position.

"I known there has been a lot of criticism, but most of the golfers are married with families, or with families on the way, whereas 99% of the athletes going to the Games will be single," he said.

"When you're married, there is more than just one person to be considered.

"The Olympics comes every four years for an athlete. For them it's the be-all and end-all, whereas we'll have 16 majors in the time between the last games and this one."
    Which is exactly why golf shouldn't be there
  • shouldn't tennis be in the same bracket as golf when it comes to the Olympics?
  • shouldn't tennis be in the same bracket as golf when it comes to the Olympics?

Exactly this. I absolutely love Golf but have no interest in it being in the Olympics at all. I'm not a tennis fan but there is no way that should be in there either.

I know drugs are absolutely rife in Athletics and other sports, which does taint it now, but for me adding these events takes away from it even more.

• Mcllroy was never going to the Olympics because of the set up of golf in Ireland.
    Zika concerns were his best way out.

@smudge7946 could you explain, please? I've heard nothing about the set-up of golf in Ireland.
  • Mcllroy was never going to the Olympics because of the set up of golf in Ireland.
    Zika concerns were his best way out.

@smudge7946 could you explain, please? I've heard nothing about the set-up of golf in Ireland.
    I assumed he meant, he is sponsored by Nike and he would have to wear New Balance who sponsor Ireland (actually he could wear his Nike shoes)
  • If golfers don't want to go, I would suggest they hand their baton over to Netball. They'd love to be given the chance.
  • Golf in Ireland has one governing body covering the north and south, similar to rugby.

So this means Rory as a northern Irish person would have to play for the republic rather than the UK.

This might be a problem in his local community, for what is a minor competition in golfing terms and unlikely to be worth the hassle.

Zika was his first opportunity to pull out.

McIlroy as a Northern Irishman could have chosen to play for "Team GB" or Ireland, and golf is far less of a team game than most other sports, the Ryder Cup is probably the only team contest anyone cares about!

It's presumably easier in the Rugby 7s, as the Irish team already covers both countries
  • Golf in Ireland has one governing body covering the north and south, similar to rugby.

So this means Rory as a northern Irish person would have to play for the republic rather than the UK.

This might be a problem in his local community, for what is a minor competition in golfing terms and unlikely to be worth the hassle.

Zika was his first opportunity to pull out.

Rory had already committed to the Republic https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jun/18/rory-mcilroy-olympics-ireland-golf

I also like golf but I’m not bothered about watching this or who wins. I’d honestly rather watch a PGA Tour event.