Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lionel Messi

Quit International football after Argentinas Copa America defeat to Chile.

Might just be me, but I get quite pissed off when players decide to do that. I'm my book players shouldn't retire from it, personally think the national coach should decide when your time is up.

I wouldn't be surprised if he comes out of retirement for the next World Cup - after other players have got them through qualification. And thus taking somebody else's place.

I get it if players are injury prone or mid 30's and want to extend their careers - but Messi isn't even 30 yet.

Comments

• Options
    I hope Brexit hasn't buggered up his pension pot.
  • Options
    I'm sure he'll reconsider, he's probably just hurting after Argentina lost their 3rd major final in 3 years. Must be pretty gutting, especially as the last 2 were lost on penalties.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    With the stick he gets I'm surprised it wasn't sooner.
  • Options
    Yeah I agree @ricky_otto... Retirement from International Football should be the same time as retirement from normal Football.

The only difference being that when your no longer picked for International Football you dont have to worry about it!!
  • Options
    Addickted said:

I hope Brexit hasn't buggered up his pension pot.

That's where the 350 million weekly NHS dividend went,

• Options
    Very strange decision, I always thought along the lines of your country retires you not the other way round.
    But then I suppose playing international football for your country, in some of the finest venues in the world doesn't pay that well.
  • Options
    I reckon this decision is linked to his tax investigation, I might be wrong but would not be surprised.
  • Options
    I think a lot of players who start young, and play a lot of games, tend to burn out earlier, though this does seems premature. The 2018 WC seems a more logical ending point

He's played 531 games for Barcelona and 113 time for Argentina already
  • Options
    I accept it must have been a kick in the balls to lose a third final. maybe he's been spoilt by the fact Barcelona win a lot more trophies tan Argentina do. But deep down, my view is that at 29 years old, this is a 'toys out of the pram' angry momento, and I have little sympathy. Losing finals is tough, but they've had bigger things to worry about in the past decade - he should try picking himself off the floor and trying to win the world cup. At his age, he's hardly past it, but it seems he'd rather be tormenting the defences of clubs like Granada and Bilbao, than trying to beat the likes of Chile and Germany, who make things tougher.
    No sympathy.
  • Options
    Sorry but you stop playing international football when you stop being selected.

Hope he offers to play at the World Cup and they call him up for a friendly but he doesn't make the World Cup squad
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always resented Shearer for retiring early and leaving us with Emile Donkey for more years than we needed to be. I was probably about 12/13 at the time so didn't actually know if there were any other reasons, but he went on to bang goals in at club level for a fair while.

I think Messi is just having a paddy, and will reconsider.
  • Options
    never done it for Argentina .. he's been in Spain since he was a saucepan lid .. he's gone native and would far rather be playing for Espana
  • Options

never done it for Argentina .. he's been in Spain since he was a saucepan lid .. he's gone native and would far rather be playing for Espana

This comment would make perfect sense if a) he wasn't their record top scorer and b) you had spoken to him directly regarding his preference to play for Spain.
  • Options

This comment would make perfect sense if a) he wasn't their record top scorer and b) you had spoken to him directly regarding his preference to play for Spain.
    I'll rephrase .. never done it for Argentina WHEN IT REALLY MATTERED' .. and the last time I spoke to him he advised me to ignore the sarcastic know all @I_Saw_Semedo_Score
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I'll rephrase .. never done it for Argentina WHEN IT REALLY MATTERED' .. and the last time I spoke to him he advised me to ignore the sarcastic know all @I_Saw_Semedo_Score
    The irony of you calling someone else a know-all is absolutely beautiful. It's also a shame you didn't take his advice!
  • Options

The irony of you calling someone else a know-all is absolutely beautiful. It's also a shame you didn't take his advice!
    know a lot .. yes .. sarcastic .. no
  • Options
    when did messi get a moody chavtastic 'sleeve'
  • Options

when did messi get a moody chavtastic 'sleeve'

Nothing wrong with sleeves. Not too keen on his mind.
  • Options
    Aguero & Mascherano now.

I think its disgraceful. Aguero has just turned 28!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Aguero & Mascherano now.

Need to man up and accept that they're not going to win every game with Argentina unlike Mascherano (Barcelona) and Aguero (Man City)

Although to be fair Aguero's hamstrings are made of weetabix so no surprise
  • Options

Aguero & Mascherano now.

The fans will be pissed off enough at losing the final - these blokes should be ashamed of themselves doing this less that 24 hours after the event.

Mascherano is one of the most over rated players about.
  • Options
    It's a power play by the players who are pushing for reform within the Argentinian FA. These are not genuine retirements.
  • Options
    The article says that Messi has overtaken Batistuta as Argentina's number one goal scorer.

Remember these days?
  • Options
    Most of these will be back for the WC.
    Can imagine them just not wanting to do the whole travelling from Europe to SA in mid-season for friendlies and qualifying.
  • Options
    Argentina's FA is arguably more corrupt than FIFA. The fans are incredibly harsh, particularly on messi. Something had to give.
  • Options
    Argentina are a team filled with bottlers.

Lost 3 finals in a row in 3 years. Watched the game last night and Higuain missed a sitter that was a carbon-copy of his chance against Germany in the World Cup.
  • Options

Quit International football after Argentinas Copa America defeat to Chile.

Might just be me, but I get quite pissed off when players decide to do that. I'm my book players shouldn't retire from it, personally think the national coach should decide when your time is up.

I wouldn't be surprised if he comes out of retirement for the next World Cup - after other players have got them through qualification. And thus taking somebody else's place.

I get it if players are injury prone or mid 30's and want to extend their careers - but Messi isn't even 30 yet.

National coach should decide when you stop playing and you shouldn't retire from it!!?? Mad! How dare he have the audacity to make his own personal career decision. What a liberty.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Winners never quit.
    Surprised he mentions 4 defeats in 4 finals and says it's not meant to be. Would have thought it would spur him on rather than make him give up
  • Options
    In his their/defence though Argentinian fans are borderline militaristic, losing finals would get ridiculous amounts of vitriol and pressure on the 'star players' and it can't be easy (especially when you consider they've done well to GET to so many finals.)

Does seem a bit of a toys/pram/tantrum situation for all that though.