Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cuba

I'm off to Cuba in October and I've heard that it's good to take pens to hand out to kids and local schools. I've also heard that toiletries such as soap (hotel stuff) is in high demand and Cubans stop you in the streets and ask for them. Can anyway confirm this is true so I can start collecting. Any other tips on what to take or general information would be helpful too.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    I have never been but my friend came back 2 days ago she said go soon as its slowly becoming more and more American, with Starbucks, McDonald's etc. starting to spring up everywhere
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I went last spring and didn't take pens, and certainly didn't see anyone hand them out - nor soap. As a tourist, you can get all this stuff easily so if anyone asks maybe do it then? doubt you'll need to though.
  • Options
    People do take that sort of stuff to hand out, saw a lot of it when I went there about four years ago. Hotel staff tend to do very well out of these handouts as they are often the only Cubans that tourists have any proper contact with - if you get the chance, try and distribute any gifts away from your hotel, directly at a school for example.
  • Options
    All good tips Solidgone, also some basic medicines like Paracetomol and Calpol are also much needed Cuba has an excellent health system but they have no money for these basic medicines. Enjoy we loved Cuba and hope to go back next year before it fills up with Americans.
  • Options
    We went to Cuba last year and my wife took a load of pens. We were grateful for them when I pulled our car over where a large manhole cover should have been, and got stuck on the edge with danger of falling in. A bunch of Cubans ran over to help push me out, and willingly took the pens. The one who got given a pen that didn't work was quick to let us know, but we had enough to replace it.

There are lots of people near hotels who ask for spare toiletries.

The previous time we went, my wife decided not to bring back her part-worn walking boots, and the owner of our casa particular was pleased to take them.

All the Cubans we met were lovely, friendly people. There are good opportunities to meet them if you go out of your hotel, or even stay in a casa for a few days as we did. Speaking some Spanish would help though, as it's the least English-speaking place I've been to.
  • Options
    working for the only Cuban Bank outside of Cuba I can say that all the Cubans I have met are lovely people. Things are changing quite quickly in Cuba now that the Americans have lifted sanctions and there are plenty of new businesses springing up and plenty of new hotels being built. However it is right to say that a large proportion of Cubans are relatively poor and they are grateful to receive any 'hand outs' you may want to give.

Have a great time.
  • Options
    Take cheap "luxury" items for kids. Crayons, pencils, colouring books and if you have some old t shirts or clothes that you can squeeze in the suitcase to leave behind. I also understand things like nail varnish and women's cosmetics are very good to give out. Even open bottles of nail varnish or cosmetics.

I was advised to do the above and trust me they are difficult for ordinary workers to get hold of.

If you can manage it a box of fishing hooks (sea) would be very welcome.

Source : I work with a Cuban doctor.
  • Options
    You may be invited to a locals home for dinner....my advice would be to go if you get the chance it was the best meal we had all holiday. This was over 20 years ago (94). Well worth getting a car/jeep for a day or two, though the roads were atrocious when we were out there.
  • Options
    When I went it was December and I had bought a shit load of Nike/adidas shorts and t-shirts really cheap as it was al the summer stuff anyway, I didn't wear half of it so handed it out (still with tags on) at the end of the holiday to all the bar staff / pool staff as tips instead of cash as they kept commenting how difficult it was for then to get hold of that stuff (and afford it)

That was 2004 so it may be completely different for them now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2016

When I went it was December and I had bought a shit load of Nike/adidas shorts and t-shirts really cheap as it was al the summer stuff anyway, I didn't wear half of it so handed it out (still with tags on) at the end of the holiday to all the bar staff / pool staff as tips instead of cash as they kept commenting how difficult it was for then to get hold of that stuff (and afford it)

That was 2004 so it may be completely different for them now.

Any luxury or goods that need import are very hard for ordinary Cubans to get hold of.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Been to Cuba for last 4 years - going again in July. The staff are grateful for toiletries but most are happy with tips. There are no banks to change your money, you can change it at the same rate in your hotel or airport. This is good as you can change money as you need it. A lot of electric sockets in tourist areas are both Euro and US type - we usually take a mixture as in some cases, you can get one that only take US or only take Euro. Euro is the most common. Great country and great value - we always have a good time there. Two main Cuban beers are Bucaneer or Crystal - both similar to Corona and very nice. If you are going to an all inclusive resort - take some Bubba cups - Asda sell them. They keep your beer nice and cold and hold more than the standard plastic cups!
  • Options
    We went to Cuba several years ago, and we were asked for hotel soap, shampoo etc.. Even plastic carrier bags. As others have said above the people were extremely friendly and helpful. We went to a museum in Sancti Spiritus and were shown around by the only English speaking guide there. She did a great job, and so I offered her a tip in convertible pesos. I'll never forget the look of fear on her face. She looked around every corner to make sure nobody was there, took the notes, folded them up, and hid them in her shoe.

If you drive around the island, get ready to have at least a couple of punctures. Half the population seemed to be in the puncture repair business, and I think some of them spend most of each night ensuring that they have some work the next day.

If you are driving around, under no circumstances should you stay in a Cuban 4 star star hotel. One night at one of those cured us of that. Stay at a Casa Particular. They are state licensed, private homes. We stayed at a great one in Trinidad with "Super" Mario and his family. They had an illegal satellite dish hidden in a fake chimney up on the rooftop patio. They ran out of hot water when we were staying there, but they had rigged up a jerry built piping system with several of their neighbours, so that hot water could be pumped in from elsewhere if they had guests, and the water ran dry. Circumstances make them a very resourceful people.

In short, you will have a great time.
  • Options
    Toilet roll is a good thing to take. Not to hand out to locals, but because you'll possibly spend your entire holiday on the bog!
  • Options
    Take books, especially children's books.
    Went to a book fair at a castle with literally thousands of families buying a book for their gleeful children.
    Very family/child centred people.
    Wonderful place with wonderful people.
  • Options
    Be prepared to be approached and offered fake cigars every 50ft when you're trying to walk around.
  • Options
    Although staying in hotels around the island, I was thinking more of helping the people outside Havana and the hotel employees. I've also heard the need for paracetamol which Daveaddick mentioned. I'm not sure about nail varnish being a necessity but fishing hooks seen quite novel. Looks like I will have no room for my sheepskin coat for doing my Del Boy down the local market ;0)

• Options
    A fascinating trip around Cuba; from Havana to Vinales and then Santa Clara, Trinidad, Sancti Spiritus. On to Moron, Camaquey, Las Tunas, Santiago Del Cuba, Bayamo, Guardalavaca and Holguin returning to Havana. Cuba has a wonderful charm that grows on you day by day. I finished my trip with a tour around Havana in a red Cadillac. Great stuff that left a lovely taste of Cuba (as the food doesn't). I did think about purchasing 2,000 Ché berets for our protest but my suitcase was already full.

Viva La Revolution!
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

I have never been but my friend came back 2 days ago she said go soon as its slowly becoming more and more American, with Starbucks, McDonald's etc. starting to spring up everywhere

I did not see one McDonalds or Starbucks or any known franchise or advertisements of such outlets. What a delight!