Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CVs

All,
Bit out of touch with CVs and persona/supportingl statements.

Missus needs to prepare hers, she's never had an interview for a job (leaving her first job after 12 years) so has never had one.

I last had an interview 16years ago.

I'd fear anything I advise will be well out of date and wouldn't know a good one if it bit me on the arse.

Can anybody recommend a good link/Template to prepare a current CV and personal/supporting statement.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• "Résumé Star" has an app and is a good programme I recommend to my students. Think it's free, unless someone has tried to cash in on it.
  • "Résumé Star" has an app and is a good programme I recommend to my students. Think it's free, unless someone has tried to cash in on it.

Cheers, appreciated.
  • For what it's worth, the whole "keep it to one page" thing is rubbish. While the aim is to draw attention to the key points and use a potential interview to expand on detail, this is your one chance to big yourself up. Use two pages if necessary.
  • LinkedIn is a really good resource (www.linkedin.com). If you don't already use it, in brief, you set up a profile with all your details and work history. Recruiters can see that and contact you if your profile/cv matches what they are looking for. And you can simply and easily print out a PDF or Word version of your CV directly from the site.

Once you have a profile on the site, you can "follow" companies to see what they're up to and be in direct contact as soon as any suitable vacancies are posted.

(And, as its just been bought by Microsoft for twenty six billion dollars, you can see that it works!)
  • Depending on the job and whether she's applying directly or through an agency, a covering letter gives a really good opportunity to summarise her experience, and tailor it to the job she's applying for. You can really stand out if it looks like you've at least read the job advert and address all of the skills required.
  • Thanks all, quick question.
    When doing the job specification with essential and desirable, what is the best/current/fashionable way of laying this out.
    Even 15years ago there were different methods when I was doing mine, bulletpoints, paragraphs etc.

Missus meets all criteria in desirable and essential but just don't know how to lay it out best way nowadays,

Thanks again, appreciated.
  • How about a lingerie photo in the top right hand corner?
    Hope this helps.
  • Probably won't help as a job for nursery teacher pal.
  • Ha. Fair comment.
    Good luck with the application.
  • reed.co.uk has some good information, and they also offer a free CV review service (with an upsell for professional cv writing services).
  • Sponsored links:

• Keep it relatively simple. Employers have to go through hundreds of CVs and don't want to keep re-reading war and peace.