Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Interview with a Murderer

Anyone else watch thus last night? Fascinating TV.

I would recommend seeking it out on catch up.

Left me with very little doubt he was guilty, and indeed a psychopath - got the impression he was only doing the show because he thought he could outwit it.

Comments

• Options
    I came to the (possible) conclusion, he and farmer Wilkes were both involved. He killed Wilkes to prevent him confessing to the murder of Carl Bridgewater.
  • Options
    Having watched it, I also thought in the end that Bert Spencer was up to his neck in the murder. I'm not 100% convinced he was the trigger man but he knows what happened that day.
    I've been off work today but will ask a couple of prisoners I know to be quite intelligent (there are some) tomorrow if they saw it and if they did what they thought. I guess it might be possible for one murderer to recognise another.

It was good TV anyway.
  • Options

Having watched it, I also thought in the end that Bert Spencer was up to his neck in the murder. I'm not 100% convinced he was the trigger man but he knows what happened that day.
    I've been off work today but will ask a couple of prisoners I know to be quite intelligent (there are some) tomorrow if they saw it and if they did what they thought. I guess it might be possible for one murderer to recognise another.

It was good TV anyway.

Ask em how they are and if they're having a good morning first though eh AUN
  • Options
    Daggs said:

I came to the (possible) conclusion, he and farmer Wilkes were both involved. He killed Wilkes to prevent him confessing to the murder of Carl Bridgewater.

Yes I thought the same - or at least his mate knew it was likely to have been him, because they were involved in thefts together.
  • Options
    One thing that got me was the ex-wife - she must have sussed at the time too. How she didn't tell anyone or leave him at the time I don't know.
  • Options
    Yes, great programme. Always been fascinated with this case as I was a paper biy around the same time so makes you think........No doubt Bert Spencer & probably the guy he killed were involved

Loathe that kind of person - " I say what I say & don't care what people think" - they do otherwise why get involved in the first place.

On another note - watched a documentary later last night regarding the West Memphis 3 and how they finally got freedom. Saw the film "Devils Knot" recently so intrigued to actually see the events from a factual point of virw. Stilll amazed that miscarriages of justice like this carry on..
  • Options
    looking forward to watching this
  • Options
    Read a few of Wilsons books.

The guy should have kept his mouth shut but opening up the case is very very like a sociopath. Even his daughter and ex wife think he was involved--- wouldn't be surprised to see Plod knocking on his door soon
  • Options

Read a few of Wilsons books.

The guy should have kept his mouth shut but opening up the case is very very like a sociopath. Even his daughter and ex wife think he was involved--- wouldn't be surprised to see Plod knocking on his door soon

Hope so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Now seen it and agree he is guilty. Any update @AddickUpNorth ?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    One of the best TV programmes for ages .. Spencer is a psychopath .. was probably quite a chilling presence in his younger days, now just an arrogant, boastful dodgy old man, albeit a very gifted artist .. he seems to have plenty of money and lives well .. has the red nose of a hardened spirits drinker .. mentioned that he does not drink whisky now because it makes him do things that he shouldn't .. got away with 14 years for murdering Wilkes during a drunken rage
    The thing though is, where is the evidence that he killed Carl ? .. people may 'know or suspect' that he did it .. alas, unfortunately, there is no proof and he'll probably get away with it, even worse, make money from his notoriety which he seems to relish
  • Options
    I would say he did it. He is quite typical of psychopath, they like to let people know what they have done but attempt to be clever about it. Also they like to get into peoples minds even when they cannot do physical harm to them.
  • Options
    Home Office to look at the evidence... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36538473
  • Options
    edited June 2016

One thing that got me was the ex-wife - she must have sussed at the time too. How she didn't tell anyone or leave him at the time I don't know.

Love and fear of a psychopath I suppose. He'd already tried to kill her once apparently.
  • Options
    Typical psycopaths ego, the twat wrote a book about the story and now it's coming back to bite him in the arse
  • Options
    It was compelling viewing and he was genuinely scary but I'm still not totally convinced he killed Carl.

What troubles me is that had he fired that shotgun from point blank range wouldn't he have been at least splattered in significant amounts of blood. He then got into his car and drove off ? Where was the forensic evidence from his car ? I assume that his car was examined ?

All in all though he was a very creepy individual.
  • Options
    I don't think they examined his car or even his house. His wife mentioned that he had washed his jumper that afternoon but the police didn't follow through with him as a suspect once his PA gave him an alibi.
  • Options

Now seen it and agree he is guilty. Any update @AddickUpNorth ?

I spoke to two prisoners who'd watched it, one who is eighteen years into a life sentence, the other just over twenty two. I've known both of them for over a decade. Both of them have encountered some very dangerous and violent men in their time in the prison, indeed they themselves are guilty, by their own admission, of particularly vicious crimes. Although neither of them stated without hesitation that Spencer was guilty they both saw in him a man who knows something. Over the years they have had conversations with many a man who claims innocence and they have both developed fine bullshit detectors. If they have concerns, I trust their instincts.
  • Options
    Great documentary
    Brilliant interviewing, very Louise Theroux esq
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I don't think they examined his car or even his house. His wife mentioned that he had washed his jumper that afternoon but the police didn't follow through with him as a suspect once his PA gave him an alibi.

Police sounded totally incompetent to me. I can't believe that the light blue viva wouldn't have been looked at given that the suspect had close connections to the farm. If the case is reopened I suspect we will hear about a complete bollox up by the old bill.

• Options

Police sounded totally incompetent to me. I can't believe that the light blue viva wouldn't have been looked at given that the suspect had close connections to the farm. If the case is reopened I suspect we will hear about a complete bollox up by the old bill.

The West Midlands force, as well as the South Yorkshire constabulary has a history of incompetence bordering on outright corruption.
    For all we know, Spencer was pals with old bill, he was a uniform wearer, a NHS worker/Civil Servant, perhaps a mason ? .. I am guessing here, perhaps a grass, a snooper, perhaps he always had a drink with the lads after work .. I repeat sheer conjecture on my part ..
    The point is, the police may well have gone into a half hearted investigation of Spencer as he was a good ol boy, and of course, manna from heaven, along come the Bridgewater four, known villains who could be fitted into the frame very nicely. I refer you to the Birmingham Six m'lud
  • Options

I thought it had come across in the documentary that the Police didn't ask him these questions and therefore didn't know he had close connections with the farm or knew the child until some time after the four were convicted. As LA said, WM Police were totally incompetent back then. I like to follow this case with interest as I only live a couple of miles away from where this crime occurred.