Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2016 - Wish you were beer

Comments

• Options
    Order at Beers of Europe has covered 8 countries.

St Bernardus 12 amongst them!

Albania and Croatia will be the awkward ones by the looks of it.
  • Options
    Oh and Switzerland.
  • Options
    Belgium - nice light Hommel bier to start, move onto Chimay Blauw and finish the night off with Westmalle tripel. As they say in Geordie Shore "let's get fooking mortalled"
  • Options
    There are plenty of beers from those countries, whether you can get them in the UK is another matter.

http://www.ratebeer.com/country/albania/2/

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/country/croatia/53/

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/country/switzerland/191/
  • Options
    So far we have:

Albania -
    Austria - Schremser Roggen Bio Bier
    Belgium - St Bernardus 12
    Croatia -
    Czech Republic -
    England -
    France -
    Germany -
    Hungary - Rothbeer Pyromania
    Iceland - Einstok Toasted Porter
    Italy -
    Northern Ireland -
    Poland -
    Portugal - Sagres
    Republic of Ireland -
    Romania -
    Russia - Baltika 7
    Slovakia - Zlaty Bazant
    Spain - Alhambra-Reserva
    Sweden -
    Switzerland -
    Turkey -
    Ukraine - Obolon lager
    Wales -
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Order at Beers of Europe has covered 8 countries.

St Bernardus 12 amongst them!

Albania and Croatia will be the awkward ones by the looks of it.

the two biggest Croatian sellers are Karlovacko and Ozujsko, the latter owned by Molson Coors who now own Staropramen. Both are utter shite.

• Options
    Stig said:

There are plenty of beers from those countries, whether you can get them in the UK is another matter.

http://www.ratebeer.com/country/albania/2/

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/country/croatia/53/

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/country/switzerland/191/

Absolutely - and while I like a challenge, I'm not going to Albania for one beer!
  • Options
    I shall certainly try some St Bernardus 12, thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Iceland - Einstök
    Czech Republic - Pilsner Urquell/Budva

Pilsner Urquell has, I believe, been sold to someone like InBev (or perhaps that's Staropramen) but Budweiser Budvar is still Czech owned so that's the one to go for. They do a dark beer, too, so that's two beers. Have a look here for your third choice:

http://www.ratebeer.com/country/czech-republic/56/

Actually, you could use the site for all your choices from all twent-four countries.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Heres a few off the top of my head, the Croatian ones are what I remember drinking in Dubrovnik whilst Sweden I only really remember cider.

Croatia: Karlovacko, Ozujsko

Sweden: Rekorderlig, Kopperburg

Belgium: Duvel, Frülli, Leffe

Czech: Staropramen

Wales: I think there's some nice Welsh ciders that may be worth a go.

Northern Ireland: not a clue, other than Bushmills Whiskey

Sounds like a brilliant game!

Those Swedish ciders are overly sweet kids' drinks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:

Spain - Cruzcampo

Alhambra Reserva 1925 is very nice. Comes in a green bottle, think they sell it in Lewisham (and presumably other) Tescos. 6.4% but doesn't taste that strong, stop at 2 though.

If you happen to go past Shepherds Off Licence opposite Blackheath Station, or Lee Off Licence, they both have a decent selection of random foreign beers.

I'd second that Alhambra Reserva.
  • Options
    Turkey. Not a lot of choice in my experience but apart from Efes and its many derivatives,
    Tuborg Gold -enjoy
    Anything by Perge would be my choice

Wales - Brains
  • Options
    Our local Wetherspoons in Forest Hill now has a craft beer take-away service so if yours is doing the same, and I suspect it's in all of them, you should be able to source some interesting beers.
  • Options
    Poland - have been there a lot as Mr Tatters' mum is Polish. Totally recommend Zywiec. Or for something stronger - Okocim Mocny (all seems fine until you stand up to go to the bog)
  • Options

LuckyReds said:

Heres a few off the top of my head, the Croatian ones are what I remember drinking in Dubrovnik whilst Sweden I only really remember cider.

Croatia: Karlovacko, Ozujsko

Sweden: Rekorderlig, Kopperburg

Belgium: Duvel, Frülli, Leffe

Czech: Staropramen

Wales: I think there's some nice Welsh ciders that may be worth a go.

Northern Ireland: not a clue, other than Bushmills Whiskey

Sounds like a brilliant game!

Those Swedish ciders are overly sweet kids' drinks.
    I agree, but I have no idea about Swedish lagers to be honest. Similarly, the Croatian beers aren't too great as Prague says, but they're all I remember from there!

Sadly even my Belgian options are poor, the chap I was drinking with last week said Frülli was a girls drink and Leffe was nothing compared to proper Belgian beers..

Actually, all of my suggestions are a bit shit really ;)
  • Options
    Albania -
    Austria - Zipfer
    Belgium - Pauwel Kwak, Tripel Karmeliet, Straffe Hendrik (bruin), Westmalle Dubbel
    Croatia -
    Czech Republic - Pilsner Urquell, Budvar, Staropramen
    England -
    France -
    Germany - DAB, Flensburger Pilsener
    Hungary -
    Iceland - Viking
    Italy - Ichnusa, Menabrea, Messina, Peroni (red)
    Northern Ireland -
    Poland - Tyskie
    Portugal -
    Republic of Ireland - Guinness, Smithwicks
    Romania -
    Russia - Baltika
    Slovakia -
    Spain - Moritz, Estrella Damm
    Sweden -
    Switzerland -
    Turkey - Efes
    Ukraine -
    Wales -
  • Options
    Budvar for the Czechs
  • Options
    @North Lower Neil depending on where you're based, there is the excellent 'Bottle Dog' shop on Grays Inn Rd that has a good selection of beers, as does Mother Kelly's in Hackney...neither of them cheap tho... The cage in Borough Market is also excellent, as someone else said...
  • Options
    A lot of these countries are dominated by so so euro lager, the sort of stuff which is perfectly drinkable, but which tastes much the same as any other lager.

Albania -
    Austria -
    Belgium - Rochefort 10 is heaven, a few places over here sell it. Many bars in London stock a massive range of Belgian beer
    Croatia -
    Czech Republic - Bottled Budvar is MUCH better than Pilsner Urquell which is produced all over the place these days
    England -
    France - Biere de Gardes are quite nice, they seem rarer these days over here
    Germany - Go to one of the German style bars in London for a big selection
    Hungary -
    Iceland -
    Italy - Amarcord Gradisca is one of few interesting Italian beers I've drunk, I doubt you could find it over here
    Northern Ireland -
    Poland -
    Portugal -
    Republic of Ireland -
    Romania -
    Russia -
    Slovakia -
    Spain -
    Sweden -
    Switzerland -
    Turkey -
    Ukraine -
    Wales - Aldi have a nice Felinfoel beer for £1.25 at the moment! Purple Moose do some very nice ales also, also Brains
  • Options
    are we not boycotting belgian beers?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Guys, some misinformation about Pilsner Urquell coming out in this thread.

The PU you buy in bottles in the UK is brewed and bottled in Plzen. They did brew it in Poland for while, but stopped because they could not replicate the quality expected.

Plzensky Prazdroj was bought by South African Breweries about 15 years ago. SAB have of all the big boys the best commitment to quality. "Tankovany" PU is a major quality innovation, even if it happened by accident. Try it at the Soho place I mentioned.

SAB has unfortunately just been bought by ABinBev. However that won't be PU's owner, as the European Commission have told ABInBev to sell the European assets of SAB for antitrust reasons. We are all holding our breath.

Staropramen is now owned by Molson Coors, although it has previously been under ABInbev rule, and it wasn't a happy one. Many Czechs feel uncomfortable about the source of the water. The Vltava River, in Prague, they ask, sceptically. How can you make good beer from that? (My client, the new CEO who started as a brewmaster there 20 years ago, would kill me for writing that, but he has heard it many times.)

Whether you prefer Budvar beers over PU will be a matter of your bitter vs sweet preference. Czechs do not regard Budvar as a superior beer at all. Indeed it is considered a regional beer. It is actually still owned by the State. Of all the national beer brands, Czechs will generally tell you that the only one that has been really damaged over the years is Krusovice, now owned by Heineken. Avoid.

The Czechs are world class brewers. I have great respect for German beer, but I prefer Czech beer. I never found a German beer I preferred although I like the distinctive herby taste of Jever.

PU for Euro 2016 ! :-)
  • Options
    I'm near Canterbury, but will be in London a couple of times during the Euros I think.

Think most countries look ok to find except for Albania, Croatia, Sweden and Switzerland.

They're the challenge!
  • Options
    I remember drinking Borsodi in Budapest a few years back, and Sagres in the Algarve.
  • Options
    I live in France and the beer here is not so great, mostly Kronenbourg (1664 is OK) Otherwise we have Leffe or Grimbergen. Spanish best bet is San Miguel in my opinion.
  • Options

Think there is a risk you could end of with the most popular beers of each country, which can often be mass produced similar tasting lagers. London's finer beer sellers should be able to help you avoid this. In the interests of variety one of your Belgian beers should be a lambic beer. And the Ukrainians do some decent wheat beers.
  • Options

Guys, some misinformation about Pilsner Urquell coming out in this thread.

The PU you buy in bottles in the UK is brewed and bottled in Plzen. They did brew it in Poland for while, but stopped because they could not replicate the quality expected.

Plzensky Prazdroj was bought by South African Breweries about 15 years ago. SAB have of all the big boys the best commitment to quality. "Tankovany" PU is a major quality innovation, even if it happened by accident. Try it at the Soho place I mentioned.

SAB has unfortunately just been bought by ABinBev. However that won't be PU's owner, as the European Commission have told ABInBev to sell the European assets of SAB for antitrust reasons. We are all holding our breath.

Staropramen is now owned by Molson Coors, although it has previously been under ABInbev rule, and it wasn't a happy one. Many Czechs feel uncomfortable about the source of the water. The Vltava River, in Prague, they ask, sceptically. How can you make good beer from that? (My client, the new CEO who started as a brewmaster there 20 years ago, would kill me for writing that, but he has heard it many times.)

Whether you prefer Budvar beers over PU will be a matter of your bitter vs sweet preference. Czechs do not regard Budvar as a superior beer at all. Indeed it is considered a regional beer. It is actually still owned by the State. Of all the national beer brands, Czechs will generally tell you that the only one that has been really damaged over the years is Krusovice, now owned by Heineken. Avoid.

The Czechs are world class brewers. I have great respect for German beer, but I prefer Czech beer. I never found a German beer I preferred although I like the distinctive herby taste of Jever.

PU for Euro 2016 ! :-)

Thanks, I'm glad they're no longer brewing it in Poland, which completely devalued the product. I've never managed to drink the unfiltered/unpasteurised PU but will look out for it!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    We have Sweden and Croatia after all, though the Slovakian one was out of stock.

Switzerland and Albania look like the troublesome ones!
  • Options
    Romania: Ciuc, Ursus, Timisoareana, Bergenbier, Goldenbrau. Take your pick, they're bland and all taste the same
  • Options
    We're at:

Albania -
    Croatia - Zmajska Pivovara Porter
    Czech Republic - Pivovar Herold Black Lager (something a bit different!)
    England -
    France -
    Germany -
    Italy -
    Northern Ireland -
    Poland -
    Portugal - Sagres
    Republic of Ireland -
    Romania -
    Russia - Baltika 7
    Slovakia -
    Spain - Alhambra-Reserva
    Sweden - Brutal Brewing Pistonhead Kustom Lager
    Switzerland -
    Turkey -
    Ukraine - Obolon lager
    Wales - Brains SA Gold
  • Options

We're at:

Albania -
    Croatia - Zmajska Pivovara Porter
    Czech Republic - Pivovar Herold Black Lager (something a bit different!)
    England -
    France -
    Germany -
    Italy -
    Northern Ireland -
    Poland -
    Portugal - Sagres
    Republic of Ireland -
    Romania -
    Russia - Baltika 7
    Slovakia -
    Spain - Alhambra-Reserva
    Sweden - Brutal Brewing Pistonhead Kustom Lager
    Switzerland -
    Turkey -
    Ukraine - Obolon lager
    Wales - Brains SA Gold

I'd definitely include Moretti for Italy, Neil.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!