Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Derelict South London aquatic centre - Woolwich

Anyone know much about the derelict aquatic centre in Woolwich which I've walked past a few times? Believe it used to be a dockyard?

Not much about it on the internet.

Comments

• Hundreds of years ago many ships were built in that area of woolwich, I think up until the start of last century ships/boats were still being built/ repaired there so my best guess is that they are a relic of those days. I think the Mary Rose was built in woolwich, if not it was further along the river at deptford.
  • Was also used as a fishing place wasn't it?
  • edited May 2016

Hundreds of years ago many ships were built in that area of woolwich, I think up until the start of last century ships/boats were still being built/ repaired there so my best guess is that they are a relic of those days. I think the Mary Rose was built in woolwich, if not it was further along the river at deptford.

I believe the Mary Rose was built in Pompey.
  • bobmunro said:

Hundreds of years ago many ships were built in that area of woolwich, I think up until the start of last century ships/boats were still being built/ repaired there so my best guess is that they are a relic of those days. I think the Mary Rose was built in woolwich, if not it was further along the river at deptford.

Thought it was Deptford.
  • edited May 2016
    Mary Rose was built in Portsmouth.
  • bobmunro said:

Thought it was Deptford.
    Portsmouth according to Wiki.
  • It was the Great Harry that was built in Woolwich back in the 1500s.
  • bobmunro said:

Thought it was Deptford.
    Stop cluttering these threads with your failed Saturday night conquests!!
  • Sponsored links:

• But the acquatic centre which is what he/she asked about wasn't built 100's of years ago looking at the photos I've googled and come across.

• Used to be part of the old dry dock from Henry VIII's time, hence the residential area there is known as King Henry's Wharf. No idea what the aquatic centre is meant to be though, it was only built 40ish years ago
  • Further digging they were used in naval times in the Victorian Era and turned into an aquatic centre for diving canoeing and fishing around the 70's
  • https://www.flickr.com/photos/bods/8524551162

http://douglasmccarthy.me/2014/09/clubhouse-southeast-london-aquatic-centre-1979/
    Decaying remains of the Southeast London Aquatic Centre
    Opened in 1979, the Aquatic Centre was built out of two old Victorian dry-docks, and used to canoeing, diving and fishing. The facility has been long closed (some point in the early late 1990s/early 2000s is the closest I've been able to work out from the t'internet) and has been rotting away ever since.

In January 2012 a plan was approved which would see the area redeveloped with a 16 story building placed on site, although as of yet nothing has happened.
  • I was getting worried an opportunity to build a 16 storey block had been missed. It's just what is needed.
  • I went canoeing there in the early 80's if it's the place I'm thinking of. It was reclaimed dockyard if memory serves me right , one bit for canoeing and the other had fish in.
  • Anyone know much about the derelict aquatic centre in Woolwich which I've walked past a few times? Believe it used to be a dockyard?

Not much about it on the internet.

Woolwich Dockyard. One side was for sub aqua and the other was for fishing, so many memories of that place.... caught my first tench in their. Then, after it had closed down, drinking bottles of Diamond White on the roof and watching a lad ('Mental' Micky Shorter) jumping into the water from the roof on his BMX.

The fella I remember running it was Taffy, a stocky bloke with a broken nose, he worked for Greenwich Leisure for years and would always turn up at a football tornaments or round Maryon Park doing the putting green and tennis courts in the summer, sure he had summin to do with the Donkey Derbies round Maryon Park an all and they were absolute quality entertainment for the whole family. Like I said, great memories
  • ....They were originally some sort of dry dock
  • edited May 2016
    Missed It said:

It was the Great Harry that was built in Woolwich back in the 1500s.

The Great Harry was torched in the riots.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/london/the-great-harry-woolwich

PS If you read the link The Sovereign of The Seas is in Petts Wood :smile:
  • "Great Harry" is slang, as any ex Shootershillian would know, it was the "Henri Grace a Dieu".
  • Sponsored links:

• "Great Harry" is slang, as any ex Shootershillian would know, it was the "Henri Grace a Dieu".

Indeed Dipps, 'twas our badge
  • When I was in the scouts I was in the Erith and Crayford District and our badge was the Great Harry, because it was reckoned to have a connection to Erith - possibly being built there.

Indeed Dipps, 'twas our badge
    I still have that badge somewhere.

• Yes it was the blazer badge for Shooters Hill Grammar school for sons of gentlefolk in Red Lion Lane.