Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Man arrested for offensive t-shirt

Comments

• Options
    Haha all over it like a tramp on chips.

He loves it.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Chizz said:

Taken from another thread:

Load of rubbish. Wear what you want and don't give a stuff what anyone else thinks.

I think it's an affront to freedom of speech to arrest and charge someone for wearing an offensive t-shirt. Other than offending (and, so what?) people around him, what's the big deal? If you don't like what it says, don't read it.

The words are stupid, offensive and unpleasant. But all they convey is that he is probably stupid, offensive and unpleasant too. But not that he's a criminal.
    How will you know you don't like what it says until you have read it?
    "Don't read this sign - £50 penalty"
  • Options
    Of course he shouldn't be arrested ffs

Shown up across social media, named and shamed strikes me as sufficient
  • Options
    Chizz said:

People write offensive posts, Chizz hits the Flag button

Chizz needs to get over herself

You've already explained, at great length, on another thread, your mortal fear of flags!
    Really where was that then?
  • Options
    I'm going to have to think twice about wearing my Coach Driver/Palace t-shirt now if he's been nicked.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Load of rubbish. Wear what you want and don't give a stuff what anyone else thinks.

I think it's an affront to freedom of speech to arrest and charge someone for wearing an offensive t-shirt. Other than offending (and, so what?) people around him, what's the big deal? If you don't like what it says, don't read it.

The words are stupid, offensive and unpleasant. But all they convey is that he is probably stupid, offensive and unpleasant too. But not that he's a criminal.
    Christ, you don't half talk a load of bollo**s.

How can you know what it says unless you read it ?

One of the more stupid posts on here this year, Absolutely moronic.

Anyway, I don't feel guilty pointing out your stupidity, because what's the big deal ? If you don't like what it says don't read it.
  • Options
    Think of the children!
  • Options
    The company who printed that t-shirt also need to be fined for agreeing to print something so offensive.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Chizz said:

Anyway, I don't feel guilty pointing out your stupidity, because what's the big deal ? If you don't like what it says don't read it.
    Hahaha Very good! Of course, what it should have said was "If you don't like what it says, don't read it again".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

No-one had the universal right to freedom of speech without limitation.

There's an old analogy that freedom of speech would not be a defence if you went to a theatre and just for a laugh screamed "fire" and someone was killed in the crush to get out. Freedom of speech is qualified up to a point, if the sole purpose of what you are saying is simply to offend (which the writing on this tshirt seems to have been) then I think it's fair that you can be nicked.

Similar with the ISIS flag infront of Parliament, waving the flag of a political organisation is fine and an exercise of your freedom of speech, ISIS are however a legally classified terrorist organisation and so the same protection doesn't apply.

Yes but that would mean using common sense, something the OB don't seem to be great at.
  • Options

The company who printed that t-shirt also need to be fined for agreeing to print something so offensive.

But it ain't offensive, coz Chiss and Leuth said so. Get over yourself will ya ffs
  • Options
    ...mind you Algarve and Se9addick gave us the go ahead to be a little bi angry

; )
  • Options
    Who is the arbiter of offence though?

Is offence, like beauty, in the eye of the beholder?

I personally don't take offence at much but totally understand that there are plenty of people that would find it offensive.
  • Options
    liverpool fans taking it to eddie stobart now the guys employer, calling on drivers not to let there lorries change lanes, that was on the liverpool echo so could be bollocks.
  • Options

liverpool fans taking it to eddie stobart now the guys employer, calling on drivers not to let there lorries change lanes, that was on the liverpool echo so could be bollocks.

I don't let em out anyway
  • Options

But it ain't offensive, coz Chiss and Leuth said so. Get over yourself will ya ffs
    No. It *is* offensive. It just doesn't matter that it's offensive. That's my view.
  • Options
    Strictly a Norbert Dentressangle man
  • Options

I believe they said yeah it is offensive but to censor someone based on offence was - certainly in their view - unacceptable.

To quote Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often wrongly attributed to Voltaire), I presume the line they would take is - "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

I think it was in VERY poor taste and the arrest under Section 5 is justified. Incitement's not a thing any more but I presume aspects of that would also come into consideration...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

CEO of Stobart said yesterday that they've checked and he's not employed by them
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Chizz said:

No. It *is* offensive. It just doesn't matter that it's offensive. That's my view.
    So if someone sticks a load of signs outside your house and all round your locality saying

"Chizz a c**t", you won't be offended and you'll be happy for them to remain ?

Anyway if you didn't like it, you just wouldn't read it, right ?

Where do you live ?
  • Options

Chizz said:

So if someone sticks a load of signs outside your house and all round your locality saying

Where do you live ?
    Damascus
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Okay, no problem and my apologies.

So this will be the line going forward then and has been basically my view since offensiveness became hip
  • Options

Chizz said:

Where do you live ?
    Damascus
    Maybe you'll have a change of heart as you head that way.
  • Options

Chizz said:

Where do you live ?
    "Political correctness is the oppression of our intellectual movement so no one says anything anymore just in case anyone else get’s offended. What happens if you say that and someone gets offended? Well they can be offended, can’t they? What’s wrong with being offended? When did stick and stones may break my bones stop being relevant? Isn’t that what you teach children? He called me an idiot! Don’t worry about it, he’s a dick.

Now you have adults going “I was offended, I was offended and I have rights!” Well so what, be offended, nothing happened. You’re an adult, grow up, and deal with it. I was offended! Well, I don’t care! Nothing happens when you’re offended. “I went to the comedy show and the comedian said something about the lord, and I was offended, and when I woke up in the morning, I had leprosy."

Nothing Happens. “I want to live in a democracy but I never want to be offended again.” Well you’re an idiot.

How do you make a law about offending people? How do you make it an offense to offend people? Being offended is subjective. It has everything to do with you as an individual or a collective, or a group or a society or a community. Your moral conditioning, your religious beliefs. What offends me may not offend you. And you want to make laws about this? I’m offended when I see boy bands for god sake.

It’s a valid offense, I’m offended. They’re cooperate shills, posing as musicians to further a modeling career and frankly I’m disgusted."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

From about 3:25.
  • Options

Chizz said:

Anyway if you didn't like it, you just wouldn't read it, right ?

Where do you live ?
    That would be offensive. But, as I've said, "being offensive" is not a crime in itself.

However, it would also be libellous. And I'd be happy to sue anyone who did put up signs saying that.

"Being offensive" and "libel" are two different things. That's why it's always a good idea to make sure you think twice before to you commit something to writing if you're only intending to cause offence.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

I believe they said yeah it is offensive but to censor someone based on offence was - certainly in their view - unacceptable.

To quote Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often wrongly attributed to Voltaire), I presume the line they would take is - "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

I think it was in VERY poor taste and the arrest under Section 5 is justified. Incitement's not a thing any more but I presume aspects of that would also come into consideration...
    Are you saying he should have been arrested for displaying poor taste?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Hahaha Very good! Of course, what it should have said was "If you don't like what it says, don't read it again".
    So is someone only offended the second time they read something?
  • Options

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

So is someone only offended the second time they read something?
    No. They could be offended the first time. But that's too bad.

If they read it again, they'll be offended and stupid.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!