Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Happy Clive Mendonca Day

KM and RD can never take this day away from us...18 years today!!

Comments

• Options
    Wow that makes me feel old!
  • Options
    What a day that was, I was 9 at the time and clearly remember the save and celebrations after.
  • Options
    Legend.
  • Options
    The memories linger on. What a fantastic day.
  • Options
    I got a stone put down around Wembley way when they were getting it paved with fans allowed to pay for stones
    Anyone seen it ? Can't remember what I had written on it something about making our dreams come true and the date and his name , will look it up later
  • Options
    I was drunk for a week after that day...can't believe it's 18 years ago !
  • Options
    Not a bad day out. Much prefer failing to beat mk Dons
  • Options
    It never was 18 years ago where has that time gone! Look at us today with the right management we could still be their
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably the most dramatic playoff final in English football history? Curbs wrote a whole chapter for it in his autobiography and I remember I was moved to tears when I read it. It's definitely something that I wish I'd been born earlier to experience.
  • Options
    Fantastic day! I remember the coach journey home was in silence as we were all shattered from the tension! We walked into the local pub and the landlord greeted us with: 'You'll be relegated next year!'
    I could watch that dvd over and over. Thanks, Super Clive and all!
  • Options
    Was only 3, and before I had even been to Charlton. But what a day! Have watched the DVD and plenty of other footage so many times.
  • Options
    MAY 25TH 1998
    CLIVE MENDONCA
    OUR DREAMS CAME TRUE
  • Options

I got a stone put down around Wembley way when they were getting it paved with fans allowed to pay for stones
    Anyone seen it ? Can't remember what I had written on it something about making our dreams come true and the date and his name , will look it up later

"Adult weekend at Butlins is worth a crack"
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    More photos on the museum twitter site @chathmuseum If you have any other fan photos please let your musuem have them

PS I'm nicking that image @stackitsteve brilliant
  • Options
    Move on

Jokes aside, possibly the best day I've ever and am likely to ever experience as a Charlton fan.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    His goals were choreographed straight out of Hollywood, pure poetry in motion, meant to be goals all the way, and none of that scrappy, half-arsed, pansy-kicked stuff players run to the corner and take their shirt off to celebrate these days. I suspect if super Clive had got one of those flukey goals that today's 'strikers' go over the top to claim he would have asked the ref to rule it out
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

More photos on the museum twitter site @chathmuseum If you have any other fan photos please let your musuem have them

I've got pretty much every newspaper from the following day, you're welcome to those if museum can use them.
  • Options

I've got pretty much every newspaper from the following day, you're welcome to those if museum can use them.
    We'd love to have them.

If you can post to:

The Museum
    C/O The Valley
    Floyd Rd
    Charlton
    SE7 8BL

That would be fantastic.
  • Options

eurgh someone's scribbled all over it.
  • Options
    Today, I shall mostly be wearing this shirt. Signed by the squad.

(and it ain't been washed since that memorable day).
  • Options
    Why do we call it Clive Mendonca day??? Yes he got a hatrick but the other 10 players contributed to that game!
  • Options
    The biggest injustice in "naming a day after one player", since 1981.

Eight-for-forty three. Eight wickets. Bowling flat out. Elbows pumping, hair flying everywhere. Blitzing, demolishing and terrifying the Australian batsmen. Dragging his team from almost-certain defeat, to a head-spinning, awesome victory. And yet, they still call it "Botham's Test".

And then, in 1998 at Wembley. 104 minutes. The bone-crunching, feet-first, flying tackle that won the ball, which span to Kinsella, who fed Steve Jones...

Mendonca was brilliant. The perfect match. A hat-trick and a penalty in the shoot-out. His first was a great flick from Bright. His second was a long ball from Keith Jones. And his hat-trick was an illustration of balletic perfection, controlling Steve Jones' centre and volleying in, in one beautiful arc. Mendonca did his job, brilliantly.

But the hat-trick goal, Charlton's third equaliser of the match, the score that sent the match to penalties, was made by one perfect, old-fashioned, no-nonsense, proper, crunching tackle by an understated, down-to-earth Charlton hero. That tackle broke Sunderland that day. And for me, that tackle won the match for Charlton.

So, I'd like to take this opportunity to wish my fellow Addicks that were there and those that missed it a very, very happy Steve Brown Day.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

The biggest injustice in "naming a day after one player", since 1981.

Eight-for-forty three. Eight wickets. Bowling flat out. Elbows pumping, hair flying everywhere. Blitzing, demolishing and terrifying the Australian batsmen. Dragging his team from almost-certain defeat, to a head-spinning, awesome victory. And yet, they still call it "Botham's Test".

And then, in 1998 at Wembley. 104 minutes. The bone-crunching, feet-first, flying tackle that won the ball, which span to Kinsella, who fed Steve Jones...

Mendonca was brilliant. The perfect match. A hat-trick and a penalty in the shoot-out. His first was a great flick from Bright. His second was a long ball from Keith Jones. And his hat-trick was an illustration of balletic perfection, controlling Steve Jones' centre and volleying in, in one beautiful arc. Mendonca did his job, brilliantly.

But the hat-trick goal, Charlton's third equaliser of the match, the score that sent the match to penalties, was made by one perfect, old-fashioned, no-nonsense, proper, crunching tackle by an understated, down-to-earth Charlton hero. That tackle broke Sunderland that day. And for me, that tackle won the match for Charlton.

So, I'd like to take this opportunity to wish my fellow Addicks that were there and those that missed it a very, very happy Steve Brown Day.

Browndog
    @S66Brown Browndog
    18 years later to the day and guess what? I'm cleaning the shower and washing the bed sheets
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

Why do we call it Clive Mendonca day??? Yes he got a hatrick but the other 10 players contributed to that game!

Maybe because The "Illic Rufus Mills Youds Bowen Jones Rufus Kinsella Heaney Mendonca Bright Day " doesn't quite have the same ring to it??
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Amen!

Just one of the reasons he's my all-time favourite player