Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blackwall Tunnel Northbound closed for the rest of the day

Did anyone get caught in this nightmeire ? It's been closed since 7am due to a diesel spillage for 75% of the length.

It will need to be resurfaced.

It took me 2 hours to get from Bromley to Woolwich, late morning and 2 hours to get back, early afternoon.

Everywhere was gridlocked from Eltham/Kidbroke onwards.

Avoid at all costs.

Comments

• Options
    bad day generally with the approach to the Dartford Tunnel also backed up for a fair chunk of the day.

buses were taking 3 hours to complete their routes.
  • Options
    Bet it was the old classic of an idiot lorry driver ignoring the height restrictions and ripping the top off his lorry. Bit more of an issue of you are in an oil tanker.

Used to drive that route every day when I worked in Hackney. Bloody glad I don't have to do that anymore. Mind you southeastern to Victoria isn't much better.
  • Options
    Yes, It's been an absolute nightmeire, I was caught in the chaos yesterday with the Dartford tunnel being closed and now this today. I feel like staying in bed tomorrow but I've got to do battle with it again tomorrow!!
  • Options
    Onlyme said:

Yes, It's been an absolute nightmeire, I was caught in the chaos yesterday with the Dartford tunnel being closed and now this today. I feel like staying in bed tomorrow but I've got to do battle with it again tomorrow!!

Likewise... Still I just remind myself that the entire roadwork could disappear down a sink hole and my drive home will still be better than SouthEastern on a good day!!
  • Options
    In a jam in kidbrooke reading Charlton life. Not sure what's more depressing. Kidbrooke. Traffic or Charlton.
  • Options
    Nightmare two days of traffic for me. Caught up in Dartford Tunnel traffic yesterday. Now this today. Both 2 hour + journeys. Now stuck in traffic on A2 southbound by Black Prince. Fed up!
  • Options
    I bet its total chaos down there. Good thing i live in 'amshire. ! (actually, its one of the reasons i live in amshire!)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Southbound is also closed now, due to a vehicle having broken down.

It was a crane that leaked the diesel, just seen it on the local news.

The tunnel is being resurfaced and hopefully will reopen tomorrow.
  • Options
    it took me about 5 and a half hours to get from chislehurst to woolwich... nightmare
  • Options
    Took me 2 hours to get from Woolwich Dockyard to Chislehurst earlier, route back got the 161 as far as Well Hall Roundabout and walked the rest
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The transport infrastructure in this country is at breaking point.

God alone knows what it will be like in 10 years.
  • Options
    I seriously hate driving in this Country now!
  • Options

It'll be fine. Ask the Bremainers.
  • Options
    Just spoke to my wife. She is driving. Left Norman Road in Greenwich at 5.30 and is currently at Vanburgh Hill!!!! God knows when she'll get back to Sidcup.
  • Options

If Sadiq needed an example of why new crossings of the Thames are needed, today would have been educational! I believe he was in favour of that new tunnel near the existing Blackwall Tunnels
  • Options
    Just make the Woolwich Ferry faster
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Imagine trying to get on that tonight !!
  • Options
    One of my sons phoned me to say that he was delayed by 6 hours, just got in worked an hour and then went home.
    Lucky for him the site foreman was even later in. In his words 'carnage'.
  • Options

Leuth said:

I work in Woolwich and can confirm that it is fucked!!
  • Options

Leuth said:

My cycle commute is Woolwich to Sidcup, from the Ferry Roundabout to Well Hall Roundabout it is total gridlock.

I must have passed 20 odd articulated lorries and 10-15 122 and 161 buses. In John Wilson St most drivers had switched off engines and were standing around chatting.

Suspect it will be a nightmare again tomorrow as if the resurfacing is on-going its unlikely to be finished by tomorrows rush hour.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dizzle said:

Leuth said:

Is it all down to the traffic?
  • Options
    Oh. How I miss all this.
  • Options
    The sooner they fix the damn thing the better. I can't believe they haven't even decided what to do yet.
  • Options

Leuth said:

My cycle commute is Woolwich to Sidcup, from the Ferry Roundabout to Well Hall Roundabout it is total gridlock.

I must have passed 20 odd articulated lorries and 10-15 122 and 161 buses. In John Wilson St most drivers had switched off engines and were standing around chatting.

Suspect it will be a nightmare again tomorrow as if the resurfacing is on-going its unlikely to be finished by tomorrows rush hour.
    When I drove home to eltham at around 4:30, between the welcome inn and well hall roundabout there were 13 buses on the woolwich bound carriageway.

Counting them was the highlight of my day.
  • Options
    Rob said:

Oh. How I miss all this.

Rob, i had you down as a Septic - but not similar problems in cali-forn-ia ?
  • Options

The sooner they fix the damn thing the better. I can't believe they haven't even decided what to do yet.

What you talking 'bout Willis ?
  • Options
    No, I'm not a septic. Been living out here for a long time though. Generally more space over here, plus better weather, so road problems seem to be a lot more manageable. Lots of traffic here to deal with though but a great road system.
  • Options

Dizzle said:

Leuth said:

Is it all down to the traffic?
    I did mean the ferry but yes, the whole place is f*%ked! The whole of SE Ldn is a bit of a mess
  • Options

Leuth said:

Similar. I was heading for the ferry roundabout and got stuck at the roundabout on Westmount Road.

It took 1.5 hours from there.

On the way back I thought i'd be smart and went up Francis Street, then past the hospital, not too bad.

Shooters Hill looked bad, so I thought I'd cut across Shooters Hill, down Corelli Road and back up to Well Hall Road.

Bad move, everything around Corelli and Zangwill was gridlocked and I was literally going round in circles.

Ended up having to go back on to Shooters Hill and joined the A2 at The Sun In The Sands, which was also bad. I wanted to turn off for Kidbrooke, but that was gridlocked, so ended up going to the Blackfen turn off & back through Sidcup & Chislehurst.

Bag of shite.

And breathe.
  • Options
    If that farmer decides to move his pissin cows fields when I'm driving to work tomorrow, I might be forced to start a thread on here. Inconsiderate wa*ker