Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alfie's Boys

Haven't seen a thread on this, but really enjoyed watching that.
Have to feel for Greavsie though...
Different game almost back then, certainly different age and attitude to players.

Comments

• how posh was Dagenham born Alf Ramsey? must've had bloody good elocution lessons.

good story about going to a park, throwing a stick for a dog and the dog bringing it back.

then telling Stiles and Ball that this was their job to bring the ball back for Bobby Charlton.

Greavsie still seemed a bit gutted to me when he was being interviewed.

• Greavsie was not just the best England striker of his generation, but of all time. So can feel a bit miffed when someone else has the luck of getting in the team due to his injury and then has all the luck in the world in the final.
  • I really enjoyed it, but I think I would've enjoyed it more without David Jason overdoing his bit. Which is a shame.

And who knew that Sue Johnston played such a pivotal role in the whole thing? What do you mean she didn't?Why else were we "treated" to her view on everything? She seemed to be getting more air time than most.

• Greavsie was not just the best England striker of his generation, but of all time. So can feel a bit miffed when someone else has the luck of getting in the team due to his injury and then has all the luck in the world in the final.

I concur.
  • Off_it said:

I really enjoyed it, but I think I would've enjoyed it more without David Jason overdoing his bit. Which is a shame.

And who knew that Sue Johnston played such a pivotal role in the whole thing? What do you mean she didn't?Why else were we "treated" to her view on everything? She seemed to be getting more air time than most.

Scouse dimension, woman etc ticks a few BBC boxes
  • Off_it said:

I really enjoyed it, but I think I would've enjoyed it more without David Jason overdoing his bit. Which is a shame.

thoroughly agree ...we could have had an extra 10 mins of player anecdotes

David Jason ...brilliant actor when in character, but didnt think he came across convincingly as himself
  • As mentioned Del Boy and a professional lovey Scouser tainted an otherwise great documentary. Should be repeated on Scotch TV all week...

(Yeh i know i said Scotch but that was on purpose...)
  • Alf Ramsey was approached by us in the late 50's to become our manager before he decided to join Ipswich. What a shame!!!!!
  • Great programme. Different era. How football has changed.