Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England V Turkey

Comments

• Options
    I still think we should bring crouch.

Comic value yes but also he was never all that bad for England.
  • Options

What tonight proved is Vardy has to play down the middle, not out wide. And that he can forn a very good partnership with Kane.

This suggests a 442 diamond with Dier at the base Alli at the top. And any two from Hendo, Lallana,Wilshere, Milner the the two in between.

However I am not keen on this as we will lose all width all together so I would play a lopsided 433.
    Dier shielding the back 4. Drinky alongside doing the leg work, Alli in his usual role. Kane and Vardy up front together. Vardy running beyond the two CBs as he does and Kane dropping to receive the ball. Then I'd have one winger, Sterling/Lallana/townsend switching wings and causing confusion. This will also allow Alli/Vardy to drift out wide as and when they want...

Agreed, Vardy has to play centrally in a front 2, and the same would also probably apply to Sturridge. The 433 would have worked if we had Welbeck as one of the wide attackers, otherwise it would probably be better to have attacking midfielders like Sterling, Barkely, Lallana or Alli around Kane.
  • Options
    Don't forget Roy will always play Rooney. So he has to feature in whatever system.
  • Options

Don't forget Roy will always play Rooney. So he has to feature in whatever system.

I wouldn't be so sure on that.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

In a central midfield role, ala the Man U line-up yesterday perhaps? He didn't look too bad there, but then again - it was an atrocious United playing against Palace who nearly ended up taking the game to penalties.

Ruud Gullit hit the nail on the head with regards to Rooney yesterday. Just a few minutes after Shearer was waxing lyrical about a young midfielder (can't remember whom, not sure if he was even in the match!) who should be in the England squad, the conversation moved on to Rooney. Gullit quite rightly pointed out that Rooney seems to have a place in the squad, purely by media demand alone - and went on to say "What's good for Rooney may not be good for England, that's what you need to look at.".

Yet it seemed to be dismissed by the others, despite the fact they'd just been talking about players who should well find themselves in the squad.. but wont, partly due to the likes of Rooney.

I've never been a fan of Rooney, and although he has decent stats, I can't say that I think he's been that impressive for England. That said - I'd be interested in seeing him play a bit deeper, spreading out the ball like he did yesterday.
    Interesting because at times you'll hear a variation of the line "Rooney is one of those players who is feared by big nations and considered a super star abroad" trotted out for him. Never exactly believed it to be true, and I agree that "what is good for Rooney isn't necessarily good for England."

If the problem is tactical discipline in midfield, there is no way Wayne Rooney is the answer. It's all well and good playing midfield in a United side with Carrick behind you in the Premier League where you can dominate possession, but at international level, his charging around nonsense will get him caught out. The only way I'd have him in midfield is at the top of the diamond behind two center forwards, and that isn't really a midfield role per se. Given that Alli isn't know for his tactical discipline, and for good reason, and the way Wilshere played, I would not have Rooney as a #10 with the two of them either side behind him, nowhere near enough discipline.

That said, I would bring Rooney. He does have the ability to break down backed defenses with a dribble or pass or just moment of magic. As things stand, I would not start him against Russia, but I can see how having him against a side like Whales could help break them down. The other option would be to play him on the left and tell him to get up and back like he does in midfield. If he can do that, he's the most natural replacement for Wellbeck, but given how he played against Italy in Menaus, I am not convinced.

As for Vardy from the start, also still not convinced. On his day, I think Sturridge is the most gifted player in the squad, touch, pace, vision, movement are all excellent, and he scores goals. But fitness and attitude can be a question.

Given Vardy is out on Friday because he has the audacity to get married, would like to see either or both of Sturridge through the middle and Rooney from the left.

It should be said, these are pretty good problems to have, and this squad is better than any since 2004.
  • Options
    Talal said:

ChiAddick said:

Why was the attendance so pathetic?

Pathetic? It's about 40000 too many for an England friendly. Hats off to those that support but I really don't know how they muster up the effort when they're nearly always drab and on the box anyway.
    Maybe pathetic was a little harsh and of course it is no slant on those who made the effort to be there.

However I was suprised to see how empty the stadium was considering it is a month before a major competition, the opposition were pretty strong (3 world ranking places behind us) it was the first international friendly played in the north west for a very long time. Just suprised the locals didn't snap up the tickets.

Like @The Organiser said, maybe its a reflection of how the general support of England home games has changed. Maybe its the general apathy towards friendlies in general. Maybe ticket prices were far too high and not attractive enough. Either way, in my opinion friendlies of this type should before a major competition should be selling out.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Bit of a shitty time and on a Sunday as well. Alright for locals. Fair play to those who travelled to go
  • Options

I would take Wilshere but if we play a midfield three of Dier Wilshere and Ali against a better side we will be overrun.

Dier shields the back four, you need someone disciplined alongside to allow Alli, Kane,Vardy and one other to have those roles. So for me it would be Drinky. Can do the leg work, defensively sound and a good passer and has that relationship with Vardy similar to that of Alli/Kane.

Knowing Woy it'll be Henderson, which I won't mind. Or Milner (god help us).

See I'd have no complaints in playing Milner along side Dier. Think he's been excellent for Liverpool since Klopp arrived. Also scored a few and has a decent amount of assists.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2016

I would take Wilshere but if we play a midfield three of Dier Wilshere and Ali against a better side we will be overrun.

Dier shields the back four, you need someone disciplined alongside to allow Alli, Kane,Vardy and one other to have those roles. So for me it would be Drinky. Can do the leg work, defensively sound and a good passer and has that relationship with Vardy similar to that of Alli/Kane.

See I'd have no complaints in playing Milner along side Dier. Think he's been excellent for Liverpool since Klopp arrived. Also scored a few and has a decent amount of assists.
    The difference with Milner this year is that he actually looks like he gives a fck about football.
    He has had a very good season with a bit of hunger/desire.
  • Options
    I wouldn't dismiss Henderson. He's not the best but there's enough skill in the squad that a headless chicken might actually add something
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

Talal said:

ChiAddick said:

Pathetic? It's about 40000 too many for an England friendly. Hats off to those that support but I really don't know how they muster up the effort when they're nearly always drab and on the box anyway.
    Maybe pathetic was a little harsh and of course it is no slant on those who made the effort to be there.

However I was suprised to see how empty the stadium was considering it is a month before a major competition, the opposition were pretty strong (3 world ranking places behind us) it was the first international friendly played in the north west for a very long time. Just suprised the locals didn't snap up the tickets.

Like @The Organiser said, maybe its a reflection of how the general support of England home games has changed. Maybe its the general apathy towards friendlies in general. Maybe ticket prices were far too high and not attractive enough. Either way, in my opinion friendlies of this type should before a major competition should be selling out.
    England probably get larger attendance for friendlies than any other country in Europe. 40,000 is still very good, especially without the draw of Wembley.

Turkey may be high in the FIFA rankings, but lack the "wow" factor, with no real stars in their team. And yesterday's game was rather overshadowed by being played a day after the FA Cup final - can you imagine that 20 years ago?
  • Options

The difference with Milner this year is that he actually looks like he gives a fck about football.
    U wot m8?

Milner has always had desire. In fact it's one of his true qualities. May not always be the trickiest or most skillful but you can't ever question his work rate. I think it was Dani Alves who said he was the opponent he hated facing the most.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

U wot m8?

Milner has always had desire. In fact it's one of his true qualities. May not always be the trickiest or most skillful but you can't ever question his work rate. I think it was Dani Alves who said he was the opponent he hated facing the most.
    I'd agree with that. He's added consistent quality since January, 11 assist and 5 goals i think it is. His set-pieces need work but his delivery and passing in open play is superb at the moment.

People bang on about form but then dont want someone like Milner near the squad because of how he played 12/24 months ago.
    For possibly the first time, I would agree that Milner deserves a place in the squad due to his achievements on the pitch, as opposed to being the safe pair of hands to have on the bench "and do a job for the team"

Set pieces for the team are an issue at the moment, especially corners and indirect free kicks. Kane taking them is a nonsense, but then do we want Rooney taking them?
  • Options
    Every time I see Milner he has the first touch of a brick wall. For all his faults I'd prefer Henderson and then drinkwater over Milner
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

U wot m8?

He just never looked bothered for city Imo, and his England form never set the world alight.
    He'd be there or thereabouts on this seasons form for a start for England.
  • Options
    These are the BBC Ratings - Absolute jokers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36354410
  • Options
    At least the attendance will help shut up the moaning northerners and their chip about the national team playing in the nation's capital all the time...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2016

colthe3rd said:

U wot m8?

I'd agree with that. He's added consistent quality since January, 11 assist and 5 goals i think it is. His set-pieces need work but his delivery and passing in open play is superb at the moment.

People bang on about form but then dont want someone like Milner near the squad because of how he played 12/24 months ago.
    No I like Milner and he'd definitely be in my squad. I wasn't questioning that he has had a great end to the season just the idea that he has never at least put a lot of effort in even when he was out of form. I think the only true consistent throughout his career has been his work rate.

Edit - sorry misread your post. I'm too used to people disagreeing with me on here.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
  • Options

These are the BBC Ratings - Absolute jokers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36354410

Yeah far too high... Joe Hart made the good save yet wouldnt have given him more than a 7 after charging off the line for the first goal
  • Options
    Kane 9 and Alli 8 takes the piss.
  • Options

Kane 9 and Alli 8 takes the piss.

Alli's 8 looks grossly overmarked when he only gave the subs Henderson and Drinkwater 5
  • Options

Did I hear Tyldesley say that Kane is the first England penalty miss since Peter Crouch ?
    Crouch,?! - take a penalty ??!! What did he do?, head it?
  • Options

Did I hear Tyldesley say that Kane is the first England penalty miss since Peter Crouch ?
    Crouch,?! - take a penalty ??!! What did he do?, head it?
    Wasn't it for his hattrick against Jamaica?
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

Talal said:

ChiAddick said:

Ironically tickets were actually a relative bargain at £20 anywhere in the ground for members and that is the same for the next two friendlies, so I've picked up two £90 worth seats for £20 each for the Portugal game at Wembley.

I'm not sure however if those were the same prices for the general public, which would have made up a large part of the crowd yesterday.

I was very surprised too by the low crowd and the fact the turks 'only' sold 2k of a reported 7k allocation. This game 10/15 years ago would have been a policing nightmare and a sell out, but like everything in life I guess time is a healer and things move on and you got the impression that 50%+ of the crowd yesterday had no idea what the 'relationship' fans wise with Turkey has been down the years.

Incredibly half and half England/Turkey scarfs were doing a roaring trade - I think that says it all.

And of course Sunday tea time is a terrible time to play a game.
  • Options
    read nothing into this.

All poppycock.

Poppycock I say.