Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Open Message Board message for Richard Murray (Part 1)

*n.b. The comments/opinions below are solely those of the author of the posting and are not necessarily those of CARD or any associated organisation.

Dear Richard Murray,

It appears, from one of the few occasions when you have spoken in public over the past two years that you are not a fan of this or perhaps any other Message Board.

Your interjection at the infamous “it’s only 2%” reaction by Katrien Meire to a difficult question about the increasing fan protest was telling. You said, I believe, in an openly dismissive manner “It’s just a Message Board thing”. Oh Dear! Richard, were you so star struck by promises made in Belgium and the superficial charm and winning accent of Katrien that you lost your ability to think clearly?

I may be wrong here but you seem to be very adept at keeping your mouth shut with regard to all the other issues of real or perceived mismanagement surrounding the club but on that occasion you were more than quick to be seen (no doubt for the benefit of Mlle. Meire) to jump to her defence when she appeared initially taken aback by the protest question.

Richard. Katrien Meire may not know nor care about the history of Charlton Athletic but you do know and it was assumed until the takeover that you also cared. Perhaps in some warped way you still do care about the Club but your actions (or more correctly inaction) almost suggest otherwise. To continue, you of all people in a senior position at the Club (irrespective of your non-exec status) know intimately exactly what the fan base at Charlton Athletic is capable of in adversity. For example, although it wasn’t a Message Board campaign which got the Club back to the Valley it was driven very much by the equivalent of those times with the fanzine Voice of The Valley acting as a vehicle for communication across an exiled community of fans which arose and formed their own political party for crying out loud – how many footballing campaign groups have the wherewithal to have done that?

It should, this time round, not have been any great surprise to you then that this CL message board has been employed to announce a series of protest events at home games (and at Sparrows Lane) and to publicise and/or report on related protest initiatives.

These have included:

• The ‘coffin’ march
• The Pinocchio ambush.
• The production of alternative and free match-day programmes
• The provision of Black and White scarfs, Beach Balls, Stress Balls, We want you out posters, badges and more.
• CARD T-shirts.
• The commissioning and placement at strategic locations of mobile billboards (e.g. at The Sparrows Lane Sponsorship Event)
• The 5,000 strong protest march attended by fan groups from Brighton and Blackpool.
• The rejection by some potential sponsors of overtures made by the club.
• The reporting of almost weekly faux pas from the mouth of Katrien Meire, some so divorced from reason that national sports journalists are left open-mouthed –
these carefully reported on CL so that informed judgement may be made on the CEO role.
• The transfer of sponsorship from Club sponsor AXIS to CARD.
• Outstandingly well-written articles by Rick Everitt of VOTV and author Charlie Connelly which graphically articulate the feelings of the fans and expose the depth of
alienation and disconnect created by the current regime.
• The creation of a new alternative kit for next season
• A wonderfully witty and well-crafted song ‘More than just a Toy’.
Tailored videos ridiculing Meire and Duchatelet produced for exposure on You Tube and other social media.
• Impromptu protest events at the Ground as and when required and at short notice.
• Overseas banner protests at the St Truiden ground and during a televised Cycling event (with the merits or otherwise of the Meire ‘home visits’ openly discussed
and evoking a range of varying opinion both for and against).
• Postings on CL from a broad range of professionals from various occupational fields and expertise who are able to comment with great insight on issues such as
the Olympic Stadium. FFP, Football Club Financing and Regulation, Company Law and more.

So, it’s just a Message Board thing is it Richard?

Take a look above and reflect also that one of the most high profile protest events (which achieved a photographic PR coup of stupendous impact) was engineered by a few enterprising people at the cost of only a couple of quid by the simple expedient of unfurling a bedsheet with the word LIAR emblazoned and an arrow directly above the head of Katrien Meire.
Contrast that Richard with the thousands of pounds spent under the stewardship of CEO Katrien Meire on-the ill-judged Score at The Valley campaign which bought ridicule on the Club and the censorship of the British Advertising Standards Authority.

FOR Part 2 see Second Posting same title.

Comments

• Options
    Nothing really to add, I just thought that the opening post was well worth a little bump.
  • Options
    "If you PM me"?? Are comments like this just repeated facetiousness or are there people who genuinely believe someone like Richard Murray is going to sign up to this website, richardmurray@hotmail.com and respond to fans this way??
  • Options
    I would imagine it likely that everyone at the club reads this forum.
  • Options
    No it's not all I took from it and it wasn't intended to be harsh but come on. If we really want this regime removed then we've got to be honest and realistic about the tools and channels we can use to achieve this. Every day it seems articles, letters or pleas like this are posted and invariably, a lot of effort has gone into them but it has to do something more than just generate likes and have posters commenting 'well said'. I don't mean to sound negative because generally they are well written and make a lot of important points, but that effort cannot be wasted, and to me, imploring our chairman (or whatever his title is now) to join a message board and engage in dialogue through it is a waste of time and energy.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

I would imagine it likely that everyone at the club reads this forum.

I did hear that KM no longer reads this site but gets the staff to inform her of anything they see on here that may be of interest
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    To be fair, it would at least be a starting point for some proper " engagement" with the fans, if RM did come on here and respond to the OP's points.
    After all, he is on record as saying that his connection to the fans was a part of his job that he really looked forward to.
    What better, easier and safer ( ie no misreporting of actual words) way of communicating with supporters than through this generally well respected board?
    Yes, he might get some digs at him, but he would also get the chance to put his message across, whatever that may be. And most on here would at least listen as well as put their case.
    It would certainly be a better thing for him to do than just be silent in my view.
    But....don't think it too likely to happen.
  • Options
    3blokes said:

To be fair, it would at least be a starting point for some proper " engagement" with the fans, if RM did come on here and respond to the OP's points.
    After all, he is on record as saying that his connection to the fans was a part of his job that he really looked forward to.
    What better, easier and safer ( ie no misreporting of actual words) way of communicating with supporters than through this generally well respected board?
    Yes, he might get some digs at him, but he would also get the chance to put his message across, whatever that may be. And most on here would at least listen as well as put their case.
    It would certainly be a better thing for him to do than just be silent in my view.

I don't think it would happen either but I disagree that most would listen to him. I think most would abuse him and for that reason I would think it better for him to stay off here.

Also I don't think he needs to justify himself on here, especially when many of the posts about him (rather like the OP) are harsh, unnecessarily spiteful and questionable, in that they draw conclusions when a completely different view can be drawn from the same data.

As for expecting the man that bankrolled (all be it in part) the best period in the club's history, using/losing a fortune in the process, to send a PM to someone that has been so critical, and in my view spiteful, is just plain ridiculous.

This OP, like many 'open letter to xxx' are so repetitive that if you removed all the names from them I suspect that no one would be able to tell who wrote which one. I understand that they might be therapeutic but I wonder if they need to keep appearing on here. JaShea99 is quite right that having another thread for other Lifers to 'like' and agree with is so beyond pointless it's untrue.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

No it's not all I took from it and it wasn't intended to be harsh but come on. If we really want this regime removed then we've got to be honest and realistic about the tools and channels we can use to achieve this. Every day it seems articles, letters or pleas like this are posted and invariably, a lot of effort has gone into them but it has to do something more than just generate likes and have posters commenting 'well said'. I don't mean to sound negative because generally they are well written and make a lot of important points, but that effort cannot be wasted, and to me, imploring our chairman (or whatever his title is now) to join a message board and engage in dialogue through it is a waste of time and energy.

JaShea - did you not read the point I made about the MB being a way of letting off steam?
    I do of course realise that the chances of RM engaging through this medium are remote. However, you must recognise that for many long-term supporters the events over the past two years have been traumatic culminating in the decision for many not to attend further home games under the current regime. If RDandKM are still there next season I will be missing my first home game of the season since 1962. My choice yes but I am not going to apologise for giving vent against those responsible for inflicting so much damage to the Club irrespective of whether they get to hear about it directly or not (but I do believe there is a cumulative effect in adding to the voiced discontent on this site). My one regret is that my postings were way too long.

Anyway, having got this out of my system now I can provide you with some good news JaShea. My next posting (hopefully later today) will be exactly about utilising tools at our disposal in order to address a wrong which has festered on since September 2015 when Katrien Meire gave her interview in Belgium to L'Echo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JaShea99 said:

"If you PM me"?? Are comments like this just repeated facetiousness or are there people who genuinely believe someone like Richard Murray is going to sign up to this website, richardmurray@hotmail.com and respond to fans this way??

TBH this is a pretty unnecessary post.

• Options

3blokes said:

I don't think it would happen either but I disagree that most would listen to him. I think most would abuse him and for that reason I would think it better for him to stay off here.

Also I don't think he needs to justify himself on here, especially when many of the posts about him (rather like the OP) are harsh, unnecessarily spiteful and questionable, in that they draw conclusions when a completely different view can be drawn from the same data.

As for expecting the man that bankrolled (all be it in part) the best period in the club's history, using/losing a fortune in the process, to send a PM to someone that has been so critical, and in my view spiteful, is just plain ridiculous.

This OP, like many 'open letter to xxx' are so repetitive that if you removed all the names from them I suspect that no one would be able to tell who wrote which one. I understand that they might be therapeutic but I wonder if they need to keep appearing on here. JaShea99 is quite right that having another thread for other Lifers to 'like' and agree with is so beyond pointless it's untrue.
    Fair comment re perhaps finding another place for the OM - never the intention to raise discontent on here.
    Re: spiteful? There is some ribbing in there for RM its true but I question whether its spiteful in this day and age I've seen a lot worse on Facebook!
  • Options

3blokes said:

I think you are undoubtedly right he would get some vitriol aimed at him on here, but to be fair, he is likely to get something along that nature at any current meeting with fans that was truly representative.
    In his own words he said that there would better communication and that he would be something of a link between supporters and the owners.
    My point would be that he should never let the situation get this bad in the first place, if he is genuinely that link. It is the silence from him whilst club ties with the traditional support are being cast aside so dismissively, that is the problem for most people.
    He must be well aware of the discontent. But there appears to be no platform for either parties to move anything forward
    I think most people on here would at least listen/read what what he says, and be fair in their responses Undoubtedly there would be criticism aimed at him, but he could at least answer that from a keyboard ( and I don't mean a Hammond organ), without a hostile crowd at him, whilst trying to address specific points.
    But it is not going to happen, so it is probably not worth much more time discussing it, eh, tbh.
  • Options
    At his last Q&A, where he asked himself the questions, he said that we needed to get more British players in. He then presented us with Williams, Johnson and Poyet. Never mind the quality feel the width, and we seem to be going down the same managerial route.