Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Do classic cars shrink with age ?

2»

Comments

• This is modelled on my fathers actual car. Shortly after he bought it he got a call from Oxford who wanted to take it in, scan it and make their model of it.
    it’s definitely bigger in the flesh so I guess you could say cars do shrink with age 😀

it’s a real eye catcher and one of 9 left on the road

• I had a 1969 Volvo P1800 for 11 years. Only got rid of it as a third child was on the way.
    My brother in law had a 2006 Renault Megane convertible and I reckon it wasn't any larger than my Volvo. A friend also has an MX5. That seems tiny compared to Volvo and Renault.
  • TimAddick said:
    I had a 1969 Volvo P1800 for 11 years. Only got rid of it as a third child was on the way.
    My brother in law had a 2006 Renault Megane convertible and I reckon it wasn't any larger than my Volvo. A friend also has an MX5. That seems tiny compared to Volvo and Renault.
    My old teacher had one of those Volvos - he was the “cool teacher” because of his car
  • One of my mums neighbours is storing an old Volvo Amazon in her garage for a while. Looks a wreck but actually drives and is fairly solid underneath. Am tempted to take it on but my wife would kill me.
    The Amazon is nearing the end of a restoration and looks fantastic now. The guy’s spent far more on it than its value and he’s a mechanic and done most of the work. He’s had it for donkeys years though and always wanted to get it running again. Looking forward to him joining us at classic car events/runs out (or nerd club as my wife and daughter call us).
  • T_C_E said:
    @DaveMehmet another Classic car show this year June 10th
    Sheppey Utd's ground. 
    T_C_E said:
    Sheppey Utd's ground. 
    Cheers, haven’t seen that one. Am at a show on the 11th so may be able to make it
    Change that @DaveMehmet apparently the sign should say "4TH July".....
  • T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:
    Sheppey Utd's ground. 
    T_C_E said:
    Sheppey Utd's ground. 
    Cheers, haven’t seen that one. Am at a show on the 11th so may be able to make it
    Change that @DaveMehmet apparently the sign should say "4TH July".....
    I think you mean the SWALE show on 4th June mate. Was aware of it but am already booked up that day.
  • I've got three E34 BMW 5 series, from the 90's, considered a large executive car only one down from the 7 series. Compared to a 5 series now, my cars actually look very small. 
  • edited May 2023
  • Any M5's lurking in your collection TEL ?
  • TEL said:
    I've got three E34 BMW 5 series, from the 90's, considered a large executive car only one down from the 7 series. Compared to a 5 series now, my cars actually look very small. 
    If you compare the modern 5 series to one from 1990, it's 20 cm longer and 10.cm wider, almost certainly all due to stricter crash protection regulations. Similarly all the columns are beefer to meet roll over protection laws. Interior space is similar as, despite the larger exterior dimensions, interior space is lost to crumple zones, airbags and the plethora of modern technologies.

Tldr: interior space hasn't changed much, crash regulations and safety tech has meant the exterior dimensions have had to grow to accommodate all of that
  • Sponsored links:

• Any M5's lurking in your collection TEL ?
    Sadly no, all of mine are V8's though. The one everyone wants in Australia other than a M5 was a highly specified manual 540. Only 72 were ordered they all bare a plaque and car number. There are around 45 left to my knowledge. 
    All the young lads here want the 540 auto and then sling a manual box in them. 

Personally I like to keep my cars totally original. Two of mine have under 172k klms on them, the Calypso red one is pretty much immaculate.
  • TEL said:
    I've got three E34 BMW 5 series, from the 90's, considered a large executive car only one down from the 7 series. Compared to a 5 series now, my cars actually look very small. 
    If you compare the modern 5 series to one from 1990, it's 20 cm longer and 10.cm wider, almost certainly all due to stricter crash protection regulations. Similarly all the columns are beefer to meet roll over protection laws. Interior space is similar as, despite the larger exterior dimensions, interior space is lost to crumple zones, airbags and the plethora of modern technologies.

Tldr: interior space hasn't changed much, crash regulations and safety tech has meant the exterior dimensions have had to grow to accommodate all of that
    Yeah I've got some more modern BMW's too. It's funny though, you look at the E34 in a car park and it looks tiny. Most modern cars are a lot taller. I remember bowling around in a new 5 series back in 93 and it seemed huge. How things change. 
  • TEL said:
    TEL said:

Yeah I've got some more modern BMW's too. It's funny though, you look at the E34 in a car park and it looks tiny. Most modern cars are a lot taller. I remember bowling around in a new 5 series back in 93 and it seemed huge. How things change. 
    Yeah, the height is the most noticeable difference, and hardest to explain
  • edited May 2023
    I have a m135 convertible its one of the few cars that will fit in the garage, and still allow you to open the door. Without the parking sensor it would still be a bugger though.
  • Hal1x said:
    I have a m135 convertible it's one of the few cars that will fit in the garage, and still allow you to open the door. Without the parking sensor it would still be a bugger though.
    Just sold ours. Is yours the N54 or N55?
  • TEL said:
    Hal1x said:
    I have a m135 convertible it's one of the few cars that will fit in the garage, and still allow you to open the door. Without the parking sensor it would still be a bugger though.
    Just sold ours. Is yours the N54 or N55?
    N54 306bhp
  • Love my 205's. Got three. They are tiny but still fit 5 passengers. 
  • Pedro45 said:
    I went to the (1st) Chislehurst Car Show on Sunday, and some really nice cars there, including this Porsche 356 (think Kelly McGillis in Top Gun and you'll know which car it is...).

Some other nice Ferrari's, Lambo's, pimped Chevvy's, plus some classic British cars like Morgan's, Mini's. Cortina's, E-types, etc.
    James Dean died in his.