Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Eurovision 2016

Just been informed it's on the box tonight, so you might want to make plans to wash your hair / disappear down the pub.
If like me you get sucked into watching this daftness , does anyone know if Britain has an entry, and who it is ( I know we normally do Rubbish anyway!).

If we do vote to come out of the EU, will this affect our participation in this event?

Comments

• Lol, wouldn't it be funny if Katrien was doing the Belgian song, and it was called I Am Rubbish?

That is this thread's Katrien reference out of the way
  • Looking forward to Eurovision, as always. It might be crap but it's got an endearing quality to it. I always watch it, the wife has no choice. Of course the UK had an entry, two guys who met on X Factor or the Voice, can't remember which, but I have not heard it yet.

Coming out of EU won't affect our entry I doubt as its European not the EU.

Sit back, fill up your glass, enjoy.
  • Just to reassure you Mendonca in Asdas, the rule, because the gig is run by the European Broadcasting Union is that the bigger broadcasters (who pay the most to run the EBU), I think 6 of them, are always in the final on the Saturday, no matter what the quality of the song. The EBU covers a "Europe" that includes Azerbaijan and Israel; and the Eurovision has this year, again, invited Australia, so I doubt if EU membership, or lack of it, will affect involvement. This means that the UK is bound to be in the final, forever (whether you view this as a good or a bad thing is another matter).

Song entries put in by broadcasters of smaller nations have to qualify (on Tuesday and Thursday nights I think), this, I know, because it was mentioned on the radio, when the Irish entry failed to make the cut.

Oh, the wailing and gnashing of teeth there was about that.... :smile:
  • Just to reassure you Mendonca in Asdas, the rule, because the gig is run by the European Broadcasting Union is that the bigger broadcasters (who pay the most to run the EBU), I think 6 of them, are always in the final on the Saturday, no matter what the quality of the song. The EBU covers a "Europe" that includes Azerbaijan and Israel; and the Eurovision has this year, again, invited Australia, so I doubt if EU membership, or lack of it, will affect involvement. This means that the UK is bound to be in the final, forever (whether you view this as a good or a bad thing is another matter).

Song entries put in by broadcasters of smaller nations have to qualify (on Tuesday and Thursday nights I think), this, I know, because it was mentioned on the radio, when the Irish entry failed to make the cut.

Oh, the wailing and gnashing of teeth there was about that.... :smile:

And My Lovely, Lovely Horse was such a great song too, perhaps too high a standard for Eurovision
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG0QKaaLTCE

• I got Belgium in the sweepstake at work! The U.K. Song is catchy. Going to record it and watch it later so we can fast forward any songs that make our ears bleed. Will be doing a score sheet!
  • edited May 2016
    None of that "perhaps" malarkey cherryorchard, far too good.

Mind you, if he'd lived, I wouldn't have been surprised if Dermot Morgan had actually represented Ireland, what with Jedward and Dustin.

I must just make a case for another great Irish Eurovision song that wasn't (well, actually, mirrored by the later inclusion of Australia, it was the invitation of the Planet Zog), in Zig and Zag's fabulous "1992", from their seminal "Never Mind the Zogabongs" album.

bing.com/videos/search?q=never+mind+the+zogabongs&qpvt=never+mind+the+zogabongs&view=detail&mid=9713FCE26CD597555F109713FCE26CD597555F10&FORM=VRDGAR

Loved that album.
  • Looking forward to Eurovision, as always. It might be crap but it's got an endearing quality to it. I always watch it, the wife has no choice. Of course the UK had an entry, two guys who met on X Factor or the Voice, can't remember which, but I have not heard it yet.

The Referendum has nothing to do with Eurovision... Was researching it yesterday and its based on whether your a member of the EBU (European Broadcasting Union).

On that basis I read that Morocco / Algeria / Egypt / Lebanon can all enter if they so wish
  • our one is like a mash up of coldplay and katy perry 'fireworks'. (unfortunately that's isn't a euphemism, fireworks is a song by katy perry.)
  • I got Belgium in the sweepstake at work! The U.K. Song is catchy. Going to record it and watch it later so we can fast forward any songs that make our ears bleed. Will be doing a score sheet!

That is lightweight Suze. To gain the whole effect you have to suffer every excruciating moment, it's what it's all about...
  • Apparently, there will be a bloke singing naked with 2 wolves tonight. I can't recall which nation. I kid you not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Apparently, there will be a bloke singing naked with 2 wolves tonight. I can't recall which nation. I kid you not.

No there won't. Was knocked out

Warning: if you don't like people saying nice things about Belgium, don't click that link.

indeed it is. Australia are one of the favourites to win tonight!
  • Right then, here we go, let the naff fest begin.
  • Time to open the beers!
  • Shamefully I have had a couple of quid on Belgium.
  • Shamefully I have had a couple of quid on Belgium.

I wouldn't admit that on here! :-0
  • 2 songs in - both sung in English.
  • Off_it said:

2 songs in - both sung in English.

Every song tonight is sung at least partially in English except Austria which is (rather randomly) sung in French.
  • C_A_F_C said:

Off_it said:

2 songs in - both sung in English.

Every song tonight is sung at least partially in English except Austria which is (rather randomly) sung in French.
    Really? Even the French song? I bet they loved that.

• Azeri song was good!
  • Sponsored links:

• Now that's what i call a side parting :-)
  • Israel have been my favourite so far
  • Wow the French guy looks like a cross between Peter Andre and David James!
  • I like the Polish song, but I can't vote for someone with that haircut
  • All about Bulgaria.

Haven't been keen on any of the others really, as for the Belgian one: 19 years old? How hard a life has she had so far?!
  • Cyprus for me so far
  • Cyprus for me so far

Cyprus - "Greece - 12 points"
    Greece - "Cyprus - 12 points"
  • edited May 2016
    Some of these songs sound like they COULD be really good. Good or catchy tunes, good arrangements, etc.

But then there's a really dodgy English pronunciation of a few words or a chorus or you catch the lyrics and it sounds like it was written by a 12 year old having their first crack at poetry!

But I guess that's kinda the point?
  • Cyprus for me so far

and for me

songs getting gradually better. the first 6 or 7 were awfully dull

• Did Graham Norton just say that the singer of the Russian entry owns a bakery that bakes cakes for dogs? Poodles Strudels? Just to confirm how camp the whole thing is (not being judgemental of course),