Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Aphantasia

This is not a network player ... Rather blindness of the mind's eye . Apparently some people can not visualise things in their mind. For example i think of an ice cream and I can see the cone, the ice cream, the flake and even a drop down the side of the cone. Some people just see nothing . How many on here see nothing ?

one more example if I was ask myself to picture the Charlton manager I actually see nothing ! Then I try and think of any Cafc manager and half of Belguim crowds into my mind. Luzons there crouching down Frayes in a basket, Riga with his tie tightly made and Big Bob leaning over a microphone.

Comments

• I have suffered a lot from this at The Valley during this last season!
  • What, no wank bank?
  • What, no wank bank?

it's a different type of visualisation/recall

pretty sure I've got this, the main things I've always been aware of are

- terrible face recognition and an inability to describe people. I've always had it in the back of my mind that if a member of my family went missing I wouldn't be able to give a description to police. I recognise people when I see them though

- no memory of colours. I couldn't tell you the colour of the wall in a room I've just been in or of my bedding at home unless I'd made a point to remember

- one that I've been aware of but only made the connection today reading some stuff is that when asked 'what have you been up to?' I rarely have an immediate answer. This can be awkward at work when your boss asks you and you can't come up with anything you've done

• rina said:

What, no wank bank?

- terrible face recognition and an inability to describe people. I've always had it in the back of my mind that if a member of my family went missing I wouldn't be able to give a description to police. I recognise people when I see them though

- no memory of colours. I couldn't tell you the colour of the wall in a room I've just been in or of my bedding at home unless I'd made a point to remember

- one that I've been aware of but only made the connection today reading some stuff is that when asked 'what have you been up to?' I rarely have an immediate answer. This can be awkward at work when your boss asks you and you can't come up with anything you've done

rina said:

What, no wank bank?

At least you've still got a wank bank though ;)
  • rina said:

What, no wank bank?

Really interesting Rina.

So if i asked you to think about a e.g. apple you don't see red, you don't see shiny you don't see round....you just think (not see) about the concept of an apple somehow?

For me and i guess the majority of people even when we are asked to think about intangible things, things you can't see with your eyes like love...we still get photographs in our head of e.g. embracing someone we love, or a scene from a soppy movie.

I heard about it in a podcast called 'how stuff works' - they talk about it for a whole episode you should have a listen.
  • I think the apple thing could be considered as quite similar to jizz in birdwatching or habitat jizz (stop sniggering at the back)

rather than picturing a specific apple it's all the characteristics that make an apple an apple

• Thought this was about the latest Disney film....
  • If you guys find this interesting then I can't recommend the works of Oliver Sacks enough - specifically The Minds Eye.

His writing is very wordy but worth reading through. Essentially his books are collections of case studies from his neurological patients.

Someone mentioned face-blindness in this discussion I think - IIRC that's Prospo-agnosia? He also wrote a book about this, "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For Hat" which touches on this.

Also, Musicophilia is good - about patients who hear music as a form of epileptic fit.

Alternatively, he did a BBC documentary or two which were excellent viewing. Then there was also the Robin Williams film "Awakening's" based on Sacks from a book of the same name.

The world lost a great mind when he passed away last year.