Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What If ?

What if RD appoints a new CEO with football league experience to run the club on a day to day basis and an English manager with football league experience with his own coaching staff (Chris Wilder),. And these people have the say on who we sign and more importantly play.
RD doesn't sell yet but like all good owners stays in the background to finance the club and allow the football people to do deal with the football matters.
A big What if I know but would this change peoples minds ?
I think for me I would have to get myself back to the Valley and give it a chance

Comments

• What if RD appoints a new CEO with football league experience to run the club on a day to day basis and an English manager with football league experience with his own coaching staff (Chris Wilder),. And these people have the say on who we sign and more importantly play.
    RD doesn't sell yet but like all good owners stays in the background to finance the club and allow the football people to do deal with the football matters.
    A big What if I know but would this change peoples minds ?
    I think for me I would have to get myself back to the Valley and give it a chance

"If ifs and ands where pots and pans they'd be plenty of work for tinkers" as my old man used to say.
  • I'll buy the club a Leopard Skin (fake) sofa!!!
  • In principle, yes. I'm not convinced that will ever happen because RD is a bit of a know-it-all when he knows nothing.
  • If my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle. Nothing changes ... #DuchateletOUT #MeireOUT #MurrayOUT #WeWantOURCharltonBack
  • We have been here before.

At the start of this season some were saying "he's learnt his lesson, he's bought well, he's backed Luzon" and we won a few games.

Then he and she reverted to type. Wouldn't back Luzon when the injuries came, sacked him and appointed Fraeye, nearly appointed Nobby.
  • What does "we want our Charlton back" actually mean? It's no wonder nobody understands why we're protesting when people just shout this irrelevant statement!
  • What does "we want our Charlton back" actually mean? It's no wonder nobody understands why we're protesting when people just shout this irrelevant statement!

You should have mentioned this before.
    I keep mentioning it but nobody ever gives me a proper answer. I know why I protest but I don't think the Charlton fans protesting as a collective are clear enough about why they are unhappy.

I keep mentioning it but nobody ever gives me a proper answer. I know why I protest but I don't think the Charlton fans protesting as a collective are clear enough about why they are unhappy.
    "I know why I protest" isn't that your answer. You know what it means to you and I know what it means to me. A lot, if not all, will be the same for both us and many others.

It's not a manifesto, it doesn't have to be set out in detail and if it was it wouldn't make a very good chant ; - )
  • Sponsored links:

What is in a name?

What is it that you feel when you see a tremendous piece of art

what is the star child at the end of 2001:a space oddessy?

That's the kind of question you ask when you ask "what does we want our charlton back mean?". As Henry says, there is more to this than finances, managers, players, fan communication, all of which has been dire since this regime took over. There is something deeper, which is personal to each and every one of us and in different ways. A sense of belonging and one-ness with something older than you and older than your grandparents and will be around long after you've kicked the bucket.
  • We want our charlton back doesn't have to mean the same to everyone.
    If it did we would all have started protesting at the same time. Some have been anti regime for over 2 years. Others protested Saturday for the first time.
    Everyone has their own "breaking point" when enough is enough.
    Likewise some will decide Roland is forgiven on the appointment of a British manager or after signing certain players. Others won't let up until he is gone and only his stench wafting from Belgium remains.
  • Yes in principle, but I am not holding my breath.

• This will happen but I have little faith it will work with current owners

The exact details will different things to different people but in general I think it means a sense that our club has genuine ambition, that competent staff are hired and are allowed to their jobs properly, that the supporters are treated as supporters not customers. It means an end to the lying that characterised this regime. If all the above comes into place and, importantly, stays in place then I will feel we are getting there.
  • Beware of Greeks Bearing Gifts.
  • I d just like to go to a game and not be strip searched.The guy even made me open my sunglass case....
    One of my two Sons made it through - the other got stopped.
    My Father who has 70 years of support had the most rigorous search of the lot of us.
    Eventually we all got in but it doesn't make for a pleasant start to the experience.
    Then again they don't care.
    Total and utter disgrace.
    Everyone does have a breaking point indeed.
  • Isn't the point of 'our Charlton' that it isn't one clear thing? We all feel a different way about it, care about it for different reasons that end up drawing us to the same place. The problem comes when Roland and Katrien start clamping down on the different areas that make Charlton Charlton and try and turn us into this one specific thing. Katiren doesn't care about our history - for some the history is everything. They don't care about funding the squad- for some results are everything. They don't care about stability - a lot of fans took pride in the club being seen as a byword for stability. A lot of fans loved that we didn't chop and change our manager but we stuck by him. They don't care about tradition; they want to change the mascot, change the kit colour, bring in a stupid sofa, bring in cheerleaders, even change the music in Crossbars - so many fans feel connected to tradition.

If you can't pinpoint what 'our Charlton' is that's a good thing. RD and KM want their Charlton to be one simple, quiet thing that they can control, but it isn't. It's diffuse and strange and it means something different to every single fan. Them trying to take that away from us is the problem.
  • I don't have a personal issue with Roland although that statement he did just smells of massive twat all round.

I want him gone but if he did those things I don't think I would hate him as much.

If he did those things and the club was in the rise again, he might want to also start looking for a buyer as at the end of the day, he is no longer technically conducting his experiment so it's no longer his toy so he would probably hate the club being run normally.
  • As someone else mentioned - maybe RD has smelt the coffee and realised that his asset is worth a lot more in The Championship than in L1 and therefore will sell once gets to Champs.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2016
    Could be due to the visit to KM's Dad however - lol!
  • He's got to move Katrien on to stand any chance of getting back in the championship.

Good grief, that certainly isn't the case and the Oliver Kay article in The Times on Saturday surely articulates this as did the Charlie Connelly piece and the Rick Everitt online VOTV posting plus any amount of postings on CL. All list a multitude of actions and statements by the regime which have alienated seemingly the entire core fanbase (and many beyond) to the extent than some are so wounded by this severing of ties that they may never return. There is a comfort and familiarity in tradition (no bad thing) but alien it seems to RD and KM hence the desire to treat everyone as a potential customer coupled with their inability to grasp that there can be an emotional attachment (for want of a better term) in being a supporter.

Sorry for repeating this, but they have adopted a year zero approach from 2014 with the history of the club consigned to the Dustbin (as Meire admitted in Brussels) and longer-term fans who do not go along with regime policies being treated as collateral damage if they disappear (c.3000 ST holders not attending games) or accused of 'not helping' if they stay but criticize.

We Want our Charlton Back will mean different things to different people perhaps but broadly it might be interpreted as a generally accepted desire at the very minimum to have the club run on a proper footing (not as a dictatorship with a puppet CEO) with all that entails. We are not stupid, we know its a business but its a business which needs to function two ways with trust paid to the board and with the appropriate respect paid to the fans. Instead we have seen the club run as a bizarre experiment divorced from any fan engagement which lost its raison d'etre fairly early on and has subsequently descended into a farce of monumental proportion with irreparable damage to certain areas.

• If the club is properly run with the team managed by a credible person who has authority to recruit according to the needs of the first team (albeit within a reasonable budget), and that team are playing good football and being reasonably successful (For us, in League 1 terms that means promotion), then I don't care if the owner is RD, Sreaming Lord Such or even FW Woolworth. That will be OK by me.

That's a big IF though (and an even bigger sentance).

Anyway I believe sinners should have the opportunity to repent. And no, I'm not holding my breath in expectation.