Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CARD Statement: North Stand Obstruction Nets Complaints

The Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet (CARD) is urging Charlton supporters whose view of Saturday's game was obstructed by a 20-foot net to complain to the club.

As part of a series of security measures targeted at protesting fans, including sniffer dogs and amnesty bins, the embattled club erected a giant net in between the pitch and the north stand for the match against Burnley.

The presence of the net prompted a deluge of criticism by supporters on social media, with many in the north stand and adjacent family stand complaining their view of the game was hampered by the netting and numerous poles that held it in place.

Many supporters made the point that the club should have warned them in advance that their seat had a restricted view.

A CARD spokesperson said: "Over the last few months we have often spoken of the divide between the current Charlton regime and supporters; on Saturday it was there for all to see in the shape of a 20-foot net running the length of the main home end.

"It's hard to believe that the club can still find new ways to alienate supporters but, credit where it's due, selling tickets to supporters that have an inferior view to what they were expecting and promised is yet another low for this regime.

"Even if it was a late decision to erect the net, the club has a vast range of ways to communicate that decision to supporters. That it didn't bother, and that the first fans knew of the net was when they arrived at their seat, is further evidence of the contempt in which it holds its own supporters."

CARD is now calling on those supporters angry at the restricted view they were given for Saturday's game to email their complaints to the club.

Complaints should be made in the first instance to ticket-office manager Mandy Anderson-Myers (mandy.anderson-myers@cafc.co.uk), copying in tickets@cafc.co.uk, chief executive Katrien Meire (katrien.meire@cafc.co.uk) and the Football League (enquires@football-league.co.uk).

The CARD spokesperson said: "At the very least, supporters affected deserve an explanation, if not some form of financial compensation, for not receiving the view that they were promised when they made their decision to buy a ticket. The club cannot continue to be unaccountable for its decisions."

The club's decision is also likely to hamper its hopes of selling further 2016/17 season tickets given the lower north stand has been heavily promoted as the most affordable area of the ground when Charlton commence their League One campaign next August.

“The club has been busy advertising the low cost of season tickets in that area of the ground, but if fans seated there are forced to watch every game through a 20-foot net, then it's highly unlikely they will have a good view,” added the CARD spokesperson.

Comments

• CARD said:

"The club cannot continue to be unaccountable for its decisions."

This.

• Oggy Red said:

CARD said:

"The club cannot continue to be unaccountable for its decisions."

This.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YVrxFmheSc
  • “The club has been busy advertising the low cost of season tickets in that area of the ground, but if fans seated there are forced to watch every game through a 20-foot net, then it's highly unlikely they will have a good view,” added the CARD spokesperson."

that's why they are so cheap
  • Is there anything to the dangerously preventing access to fire escape routes angle?
  • CAFCdamo said:

Is there anything to the dangerously preventing access to fire escape routes angle?

I think the fire escape route is onto the track, not the pitch so they weren't obstructing it
  • rina said:

CAFCdamo said:

Is there anything to the dangerously preventing access to fire escape routes angle?

I think the fire escape route is onto the track, not the pitch so they weren't obstructing it
    It was the old bill who were obstructing the track!
  • rina said:

CAFCdamo said:

Still seems ridiculous that if there was a fire thousands would have to spill onto that track and not be able to access the pitch.
  • CAFCdamo said:

rina said:

CAFCdamo said:

Still seems ridiculous that if there was a fire thousands would have to spill onto that track and not be able to access the pitch.
    agreed, utterly ridiculous. if there's a fire in the stand I'm going on the pitch, not walking around the track in front of it
  • If the pitch was part of the escape route then the club wouldn't be allowed to have the advertising hoardings between it and the track, I should think. Where people would go in practice is another matter.
  • Just sent this to everyone suggested. et's see what the answer is.
    Missed It said:

rina said:

CAFCdamo said:

It was the old bill who were obstructing the track!
    I thought the debris from the sofa was the main obstruction ...
  • Sponsored links:

• @CARD I have messaged yourselves about this aspect.
  • It's still there tonight so maybe a permanent fixture. Those who have renewed should be checking and complaining as well