Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Live election tracker

Comments

• not exactly suprised khan is in, when you look at the make up of the people voting.

Which is ?
  • Note to self, don't read politics on a Internet forum as you will get angry and rasict fucktards
  • Goldsmith's campaign crossed a line when it wrote to everyone with a Sikh or Gujarati name telling them how Khan was going to import ISIS and steal their family's gold. One of the dad's in my son's social group got such a letter and he was livid, as was his English partner. Khan is fairly uninspiring but really, this was ridiculous.
  • "A senior Tory tells me Zac campaign failed because it blew “a dog whistle in a city where there’s no dog”"
  • LuckyReds said:

micks1950 said:

LuckyReds said:

micks1950 said:
    You're point being? We can both throw around links..

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/05/is-it-islamophobic-to-draw-attention-to-sadiq-khans-links-with-extremists/

There needs to be some serious questions raised as to why so much of the pre-election discussions centered around:

- Sadiq Khan once stood on stage with some very nasty chaps;
    - Zac Goldsmith is Islamophobic to point that out;
    - Sadiq Khan's dad drove a bus;
    - Zac Goldsmith is rich;

It's poor, it's uninspiring and it's a depressing state of affairs. Both candidates played a dirty game to be entirely honest, but the nonsense of "Islamophobia" being a way of closing down legitimate questions over a candidate's background is very troublesome.

What should well have been a monumental occassion for our City - the son of an immigrant, who happens to be Muslim, gaining one of the most important political roles in the country - is actually rather unflattering in context.
    I would have thought that my “point being” was rather obvious.

The link I posted was a interview with the Leader of the Conservative Group on the Greater London Assembly over the past 4 years who as soon as the polls closed yesterday went on Newsnight to deliver a comprehensive criticism of Zac Goldsmith’s Mayoral campaign and it’s attempts to link Sadiq Khan with extremism, and the damage that that has done to the Conservative Party and to community relations in London.
    Because politics has never included damage control, has it? Goldsmith has found himself facing a backlash over this campaign, and as such it's within the Conservative interest to therefore write this election off and play damage control - by condemning him from all angles.
    Well we’re all used to ‘spokespeople’ of all parties doing their best to put a positive ‘spin’ on their party’s performance in an election but I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone in a senior position in a party deliver such a complete public disavowal of their party’s election tactics as the Leader of the Conservative Group on the GLA gave to Zac Goldsmith’s Mayoral campaign on Newnight last night.
  • shine166 said:

Note to self, don't read politics on a Internet forum as you will get angry and rasict fucktards

There's that word again.

All you had to do was replace "fucktards" with "c#nts" and you would have hit the jackpot in Left Wing Leuth's Offended Fruit Machine!

Well, if you look at the previous comments I quoted you will indeed notice racist undertones... But obviously bypass those and jump on my comment
  • shine166 said:

shine166 said:

Note to self, don't read politics on a Internet forum as you will get angry and rasict fucktards

There's that word again.

All you had to do was replace "fucktards" with "c#nts" and you would have hit the jackpot in Left Wing Leuth's Offended Fruit Machine!

Well, if you look at the previous comments I quoted you will indeed notice racist undertones... But obviously bypass those and jump on my comment
    Was only joking - wasn't digging you out.
  • shine166 said:

There's that word again.

Yeah anything with 'tard' in it is totally ableist
  • Sponsored links:

• turn it in @shine166 getting all heated behind a keyboard, i answered the question to leuth so in your words if you look at my previous comments :)
  • LuckyReds said:

micks1950 said:
    Your point being? We can all throw around links, and as the internet provides a platform for every opinion to be shared - regardless of merit - it actually means very little.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/05/is-it-islamophobic-to-draw-attention-to-sadiq-khans-links-with-extremists/

There needs to be some thorough investigation surrounding why so much of the pre-election discussions were based entirely around things such as:

- Sadiq Khan once stood on stage with some very nasty chaps.
    - Zac Goldsmith is Islamophobic to point that out.
    - Sadiq Khan's dad drove a bus.
    - Zac Goldsmith is rich.

It's poor, it's uninspiring and it's actually quite a depressing assessment of the candidates - candidates whom without political affiliations and cultural and economic bias would both have been the last people to be considered to be Mayor of London. It also underlines the issue of how much a debate can be stiffled via claims of "Islamophobia", which is problematic in itself.

What should well be a monumental occassion for not only our City, but our nation - the son of an immigrant, who happens to be Muslim, gaining one of the most important political roles in the country - is actually rather unflattering in this context.
    It's very rare I read something really insightful on a Charlton Life thread regarding politics. This however is a fantastic summary of events, and has been completely overlooked.
  • People have started arguing in a thread about politics. Who would've thought it!!
  • People have started arguing in a thread about politics. Who would've thought it!!

Don't worry Cabbles will be along soon to grass them up to admin ; - )

Anyway, the people have spoken. That's how democracy works and people have to accept the result just like with the general election.
  • shine166 said:

Voting in a terrorist sympathiser. Nice one London

Not seen the videos of goldsmith pleaing for the 'terrorist' to remain in England then ?

#stopreadingbullshitpapersyoucretin
    Ark at you Mongo
  • shine166 said:

Not seen the videos of goldsmith pleaing for the 'terrorist' to remain in England then ?

Ark at you Mongo
    You said you weren't going to use that term on here again, remember.
  • Ooh, can I flag it? Can I?
  • Hardly surprised. Son of a hard working immigrant or rich Tory boy?

Err... let me think!

Whats wrong with being rich? Isnt that discrimination in itself?
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:

Ooh, can I flag it? Can I?

Why not. Don't break a habit of a lifetime
  • CAFCdamo said:

If this is in reference to Suliman Gani then I suggest you inform yourself on his political links and leanings. Of course I don't believe either candidate supports terrorism or has legitimate terrorist links but just goes to show that you can't believe everything someone says when there is evidence to show that they are a hypocrite, but some people will believe anything based on prejudices.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/zac-goldsmith-posed-for-photo-with-extremist-imam-who-he-attacked-sadiq-khan-for-meeting-a6983751.html

As posted above the tactics that have been used against Khan this campaign due to his ethnicity have been outrageous. Glad to see some Tories condemning it.
    Also Suliman Gani has threatened to sue Cameron for slander/libel if he repeats the claim that he's an ISIS supporter outside Parliament.
  • If Zak Goldsmith is filthy rich and failed to become mayor, as his political career is now effectively going nowhere, can't he give Roland £30m and buy us instead. Imagine the glory as while Sadiq struggles with London's housing and transport issues, Zak's Charlton Athletic rise to become Premier League Champions...
  • Voting in a terrorist sympathiser. Nice one London

Not thinking for yourself. Nice one, Greenie Junior.
  • Leuth said:

Ooh, can I flag it? Can I?

I have, can't see why you shouldn't do so, too.
  • turn it in @shine166 getting all heated behind a keyboard, i answered the question to leuth so in your words if you look at my previous comments :)

Touché
  • shine166 said:

Ark at you Mongo
    That's a good work for someone posting from the 80's, must have fixed the DeLorean
  • not exactly suprised khan is in, when you look at the make up of the people voting.

What on earth do you mean by that ?
  • edited May 2016
    Just goes to show that the mayoral race is more down to the person than the party. Yes London is traditionally a Labour stronghold but he has done well considering the party had a pretty crap night and won't be anywhere near power for the next two terms.

Like them or loathe them, both Bo Jo and Red Ken were personalities. Not sure Khan or Goldsmith has that about them - but even as a self confessed Tory, I can't think of anything about Goldsmith that stood out.

What on earth do you mean by that ?
    We all know, just this poster can't be a honest racist