Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The loyalty of Charlton supporters - questions from a Dutchman

Hi guys,

It was the 21st of october, 2006. My Dutch dad took me to the Valley, I was just 16 years old and we were on holiday for the weekend.
I immediately fell in love with Charlton Ahtletic, even though they drew Watford (0-0) and that very game is still in my top 3 of baddest matches ever seen.
Clearly, as a Dutchman, I wanted to explore the rest of the city and it's football. In december 2013, I decided to come to London for five weeks to visit all the London football clubs in and to write about a book about that groundhopping journey, from a Dutch perspective. I can mention the book, if you like.

None of the clubs gave me that special feeling Charlton did. I came back a lot and saw a lot of home and away games over the last few years. The best of them was a 3-2 win against B&H on Boxing Day, 2013. Big Yann marked and I still feel sad he left. That's one of the big mistakes the Belgian owners made.

I was at Charlton v Brighton & Hove Albion two weeks ago. Offcourse I follow the CARD-movement with special interest. I love what they do, so I decided to volunteer. The least I can do when coming over from Holland. I helped Rich & Dom with filling up the big balloon with Roland's face on it. I helped handing out the placards and together with Dom, I carried the balloon throughout the protest. Man, that day was the best I've had in times.

Quite a long intro, I shall cut to the point. I'm writing a new book, a sequel on my first, about London football. Already wrote a lot about Roland, Katrien and their mismanagement. I can assure you: after having read this piece about Duchâtelet, a lot of Dutchmen will disguise this owner to. I'll try to get a lot of attention for the book and the Charlton-chapter so I can at least be a sort of overseas missionary to promote the CARD-movement. I still have an important question and Richard from the Supporters Trust told me to ask the question at this forum. I hope you can help me out and provide me with some good answers so I can make the chapter about Charlton more valuable as it already is.

I'm looking for an explanation for the loyalty of the Charlton supporter and the will to protest (like back in the days for the Back to the Valley-campaign). How is this possible? For a lot of Dutch people, football is just a sport. For you, it's your life, I suppose. I'm trying to explain this to the Dutch reader, I'm having difficulties myself to explain it. Could you please explain why Charlton is that important for you and why you're spending so much time in protesting and not accepting the managarial failures, in stead of just going to the game, watch it, and go home?

Thanks a lot guys for helping me out.

Regards,
Paul

Comments

• For me I was taken first when I was 5 years old. Before I could really get much out of it. I went with my uncle and went to all home matches and some away. I soon got to know the players. Be happy when we won and sad when we lost. That was 55 years ago and winning still makes me happy and losing still spoils my day.

I like to think Charlton is not my life but I doubt there is an hour of any day where I don't at least have a fleeting thought about Charlton.
  • Paul - Good luck with the book. If you give me an email address, I will write a longer piece that might help.

• edited May 2016
    For many it is the attachment to the club from childhood and a feeling of a Charlton 'family' perhaps.

I left London for the west of the country in 1969 having supported Charlton since 1962 and I have never felt the desire to support another more successful club (as my wife would put it) but I think this is normal.
    What seems to make Charlton special is the tribulations (the near extinctions) which have been borne with fortitude and never-say-die spirit, none more so than that demonstrated during the years in exile leading to the formation of a political party to get The Valley back - that I think is unique.

But all that is documented and I'm sure you have the recently revised Battle for The Valley book. Another good source would be back issues of Voice of the Valley where you will find countless articles from a variety of contributors writing about issues from the perspective of being a Charlton supporter - then there is the outstanding recent Charlie Connelly piece on this forum.

It is difficult to define but it sounds that you have touched upon it yourself when you said that Charlton had 'a special feeling' for you.

When it was announced that Charlton were going back to The Valley Mike Norris said:
    "Its beyond football, this Charlton thing....our fans are real people and when you see what it means to them, its moving.

I agree, it's beyond football, its real and it's from the heart - it's a Charlton Thing.

• Yes, please let me also have your e-mail address.

Very best wishes with the book. You could end up with 20000 chapters just on Charlton alone !!

Groetjes - Alan
  • Sponsored links:

• I first saw Charlton play a few days before my twelfth birthday. We were thumped 5 - 0 by Leicester and that was it, love at first sight. Why? Have been asking myself that for 46 years. Good luck with the book.
  • Started off following Charlton with my uncle in 1979. Followed that with my mates home and away. Now it's me and my son. It's my club,my Charlton family. Will defend it to the end. It's almost like being part of a massive gang. A strong attachment and sense of belonging. That's why it's so hard with our current owner/regime. We are being discarded and trodden over. The fans are united and feel this as any family would. What happens when anyone feels mistreated and bullied. Uprising!!!!
  • It is very interesting that you say, 'For a lot of Dutch people football is just a sport'. If that is true of Belgians too it would explain a lot, including Katrien's 'weird' comment.
  • Uboat said:

It is very interesting that you say, 'For a lot of Dutch people football is just a sport'. If that is true of Belgians too it would explain a lot, including Katrien's 'weird' comment.

This mindset could be true. In France when the conversation came up about who I supported I would reply Charlton and then some said yeah but what top premier league team do you support? Alot of them supported their local team but also supported one of the big teams like psg, Marseille etc.
    Then again I think of the ultras all over Europe including Holland where they seem so fanatical.
  • Thanks so far guys. Paulbaaijens@hotmail.com is my adress
  • Blood my Dutch friend, it is in my blood.

Charlton mirrors my life, a regrettably few high points so far, mostly dross, a fair amount of heartache and plenty of good swift kicks in the bollocks to keep me on track...
  • Sponsored links:

• Its ingrained in us. My uncle started going in 1938. He took me in 1967. I'd never support anyone else. Our family has lived in and around the area for about 90 years now so it's part of the fabric of our lives.

The supporters reflect the people from this part of London + SE. It was never a fashionable place, factories, estates, offices but plenty of work in good years. Football (then) was a huge source of entertainment for the working people in a way that maybe it wasn't in other countries?

I think the will to protest started with the calamities of the 80's - the club going bust in 1984, the stupid row about ground safety and the move to Selhurst in 85 and the (initially) crass attitude of the council towards the move back to the Valley.
  • I'm finding it impossible to put into words but supporting Charlton is so important to me.

It's not about winning, it's not about glory so why bother? I don't know. It's family, it's history it's an almost constant struggle for normality. But at least it is real.

• That was a good read Athletico Charlton. Great memories and sincere words. "Belonging" was mentioned earlier and that, perhaps, identifies the most powerful ingredient being a Charlton fan. Results are important and they will define your weekend but the club you fall in love with remains a huge part of your being and your identity throughout life.
  • I have a list of Uncles who followed Charlton in the 1920s my Dad followed in the 40's, 50's. 60's and took me too in the 70's 80's and 90's (he is retired) both my sons and daughter have been post Premier League and I have been working on other non Charlton parts of the family.

I can't stand the way things are. I hate the duchatelet ... .... them.
  • This question would have been easier to answer prior to 3 years ago.

The root cause for caring so much about something like this ...

Maybe addiction?

That feeling I used to have when Charlton scored in a match...when Charlton got 3 points after the full time whistle was blown. You cannot describe it. It's a sudden rush of utter happiness.

It's the same opposite thing for when we lose but you are addicted to the rare times when Charlton succeed so you just relentlessly keep coming back...

The last time I genuinely felt happy watching Charlton was Boxing Day 2014 against Cardiff when things were going shit for us and JBG scored a stunning equalisor to make it 1-1. The valley erupted and it felt like a win.

There is what I like to call "The real Charlton"

The real Charlton is not currently present so we long for it to return.

The reason or root cause I, as a kid started supporting Charlton and religiously non stop talked about the club to the point where my dad thought I was a bit weird, the root cause was because....

This club was local. (I lived in plumstead at the time) so I was supporting my local team and could be proud by that fact.

This club was more affordable in comparison to other big clubs for fans so a good starting point to get into it.

The most important thing was that this club was and still is SPECIAL, it's largely different from any other club...special in what way? Hmmm, there is no direct word for it, it's difficult to describe.

It's the people. The players are/were incredibly like-able, even if not the most naturally gifted.

And...

We have admirable history. We are a small club that plays the role of the underdog, within the large world of football.

The underdog is one you can associate yourself with and simply, fall in love with.

It's simply a competitive drive and you commit yourself to the cause. Once that's locked in, you don't go back.

That's my version of it.

Good luck with your book.
  • I can tell you right now.

If my dad took me west ham or spurs when I was a kid, I wouldn't have cared for it and would and could not naturally warm to those clubs and support them. I don't massively dis-like but...

It just wouldn't happen. Same with palace and millwall.

Charlton chose me. I didn't choose them.
  • What a great thread. I had tears in my eyes reading through it. One of the best ever on CL. It shows once again why this club is so special: it has the greatest fans in the whole world. It's been an extremely difficult year for all of us but I have faith in us. RD is killing our club but the fans won't let him succeed. I don't feel optimistic about our immediate future but RD will let go, eventually. He won't be here for ever. But we will.

Good luck with the book Paul.
  • What a great thread. I had tears in my eyes reading through it. One of the best ever on CL. It shows once again why this club is so special: it has the greatest fans in the whole world. It's been an extremely difficult year for all of us but I have faith in us. RD is killing our club but the fans won't let him succeed. I don't feel optimistic about our immediate future but RD will let go, eventually. He won't be here for ever. But we will.

Good luck with the book Paul.

Jessie

I know you live far away but I hope you get yourself to a game at some point. I'd love to hear it. Your attendance would and should bee bigger news and mean alot more to the charlton fanbase then if Roland the ratbag ever shows his face.

Even if it's in league one I'd suggest a league away game at the moment as it will simply just be a better more lively experience. There maybe some good'uns next season. Hopefully Portsmouth will get promotion. Wimbledon would also be decent but they are both ifs.

Gillingham is local to the valley but it's just a bit depressing to think about...