Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Cult of RD and the time for Intervention

I have previously argued that Roland Duchatelet can be likened to the head of a religious cult and there is much I believe to support this analogy.

We know for example that RD sees himself as a visionary leader (as do many cult figures) so this ticks the box. Tick.

He likes to generate an air of mystique (remaining somewhat aloof with certain parts of his 'wisdom' vouchsafed only to a few of the chosen disciples who will then feed this down the line as and when the ordinary devotees can be trusted to receive it. Tick. (Although KM spilled the beans too early in Dublin but as a high disciple she was obviously forgiven).

He stands above ordinary people by having a superior thought process which is beyond their comprehension and can only be properly appreciated by total and utter loyalty and devotion to his ideas. Tick

He sets up diverse places (of worship?) in different countries but all with a shared Utopian vision. Tick, (if you stretch the places of worship analogy to include football clubs)

He peoples these locations with High Disciples who will carry his message without question. Tick.
The greatest of the High Disciples in this scenario is Katrien Meire who is totally devoted to her leader and will carry out his orders unquestioningly. Tick.
The purpose of these High Disciples is to enact the wishes and plans of RD, and to act as a buffer against naysayers.

High Disciples of the second order. These remain inscrutable silent defenders of the faith who rarely speak, rarely hold counsel and rarely make contact with ordinary devotees i.e Richard Murray. Tick.

Below the High Disciples are the secondary level disciples (outside the cult they would be known as jobsworths) who will follow the accepted line and kow-tow to the High Disciples for their own advancement. Even if they don't necessarily agree with everything they will never voice discontent and their eagerness to please will sometimes sugarcoat any perceived negatives beyond the bounds of reason (e. g. Mandy Anderson-Myers' comment that Charlton were not yet down --- when they had in fact already been relegated, plus Sue Parklife's over the top and public - by way of Facebook - defense of poor hard done by Katrien Meire). Tick.

As in any cult there will be defectors. Those originally buying into it but who become disillusioned and have the strength of mind to resist. Any takers? Oh Yes! Mel Baroni slipped over the wire after only 46 days. Tick.

Which brings us to the devotees themselves (or in this case the fans). In a cult these people usually make the choice to enter having been made promises of some kind or other often involving some collective benefit from co-operation with fellow devotees and with the proviso that the will of the leader pervades each and every decision and action. If you are lucky he may even put in an appearance every few years and drop some pearls of wisdom. Tick.

However, The Network as it is known is a cult with a difference. You don't choose it -- it chooses you and you have no choice in the matter.
Remember this from Katrien Meire 'Fans will have to get used to the major shareholder doing things his way now'. Tick.

OR DO THEY? Have we reached Intervention time Katrien - I think we have.
Ok, so you are clearly not going to give up being CEO. Even if you are carried bodily out of The Valley after the Burnley game and deposited on a lonely Scottish moor minus your mobile you will no doubt make you way back. Foolish beyond reason but your choice.

Which leaves only the highest level of Intervention available. Exactly what Standard Liege fans did - confront Roland Duchatelet in his own office. I see this now as the only way to go after the Burnley game. I want my Charlton back so....

It has to be the Grand Intervention. Tick

Comments

• edited April 2016
    Interesting observations - and I agree completely!

One of the defining features of a cult, and one that acts to strengthen it, is the siege mentality that follows any criticism. With vows of silence coming from those in official positions, only broken for messages of condemnation, it's clear that this siege mentality is present at Charlton too.

How do we crack a cult though?
  • Please say that he isn't real and is just a figment of peoples imaginations.
  • well the Stonecutters kicked out Homer when he became a pain so I'm sure we can do it.
  • I hope Charlton doesn't become Jonestown with cool aid being served.
  • LuckyReds said:

One of the defining features of a cult, and one that acts to strengthen it, is the siege mentality that follows any criticism. With vows of silence coming from those in official positions, only broken for messages of condemnation, it's clear that this siege mentality is present at Charlton too.

I agree and it is quite clear that dealing with what presumably are unprecedented levels of criticism has led to a collapse of the Supporters Relations Team e-mail service and members of staff (sometimes junior members of staff) appear to have been pressed into service to fulfil unfamiliar roles (on a different thread I related my experience of attempting to contact the Press Office during the Dubai fiasco and being passed around until I ended up speaking to a young lad who was a security steward).

The thing about this 'cult' is that is has very few footsoldiers (followers) and without these it can only really function for the top-level hierarchy. Meire would no doubt love to see the ground populated by a new customer base (believers) but it is likely to be a dismal place to be at The Valley next season unless the whole edifice collapses.
    If only RD would accept that he is not footballs Messiah.

It is one way to get people to stop using the catering though....

the portions would be so small that you'd only get a mild headache...
  • Macronate said:

well the Stonecutters kicked out Homer when he became a pain so I'm sure we can do it.

Roland and Katrien: Who caused Charlton to go down? Who sold Gomez for £1? Weeee diiiiid, weeee diiiiid
  • Macronate said:

well the Stonecutters kicked out Homer when he became a pain so I'm sure we can do it.

Didn't Roland sell him to Leicester?
  • Sponsored links:

• Hey Roland, I wanna know why you're such a cult.
  • Cult !!!! Sorry I misread that.
  • edited April 2016

LuckyReds said:

I agree and it is quite clear that dealing with what presumably are unprecedented levels of criticism has led to a collapse of the Supporters Relations Team e-mail service and members of staff (sometimes junior members of staff) appear to have been pressed into service to fulfil unfamiliar roles (on a different thread I related my experience of attempting to contact the Press Office during the Dubai fiasco and being passed around until I ended up speaking to a young lad who was a security steward).

The thing about this 'cult' is that is has very few footsoldiers (followers) and without these it can only really function for the top-level hierarchy. Meire would no doubt love to see the ground populated by a new customer base (believers) but it is likely to be a dismal place to be at The Valley next season unless the whole edifice collapses.
    If only RD would accept that he is not footballs Messiah.
    My view is that we are all in for a long haul and we've been there before. There will be no immediate solutions as we are seeing. All regimes have a 'soft underbelly' and I think you have touched on it here with your reference to footsoldiers.

IMO this type of regime will eventually collapse from the inside when those foot soldiers reach the end of their tether,and the top end of the hierarchy finds a chasm below them.

There are clearly some clever minds working for CARD and we just need to keep applying and upping the pressure where necessary.

It's easy in the West Upper from what I have seen you are only allowed to buy refreshments if you wear a black &white scarf or have a card sticker on the lapel of your jacket