Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BBC 4 Tonight 9pm Alien life on extraterrestrial planet?

Possible revelation tonight that a planet in a distant solar system (dubbed Cuculus/i> by astronomers) may support life.

Messages received in the last few days suggest that the sender is trying to make contact with a group of people on Earth but the astronomers are mystified by the content which appears, in near perfect English, to be making some kind of statement or placatory peace gesture.

A leading researcher for SETI (Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence) who has studied the message stated:
This is the first time this is being made public but we have received contact before from this same source and we have known for some time that Cuckoo KM to give it its full non-Latin name, was capable of sending messages but these were invariably confused, often making wild promises of some kind, often out of touch with any coherent sense of reality and sometimes with only a tenuous grasp of word meanings. This may account for the latest transmission which includes the words 'We apologise for our mistakes'.

Comments

• Did they say that now was time to learn from their mistakes though?
  • Are they interested in buying a football club?

Yes, but they said £38m for a league one club was a knock.
  • Are they interested in buying a football club?

Post of the week for me.

There have been a lot of false alarms through SETI in the past. Obviously this would be incredibly cool, but there are a lot of caveats, including that our definition of a planet "being able to support life" is a pretty narrow one, given that it is limited to carbon-based life forms, usually with liquid water and "mild" temperatures.
  • edited April 2016

Are they interested in buying a football club?

They're already in charge!!!
  • I am waiting for the headline .. 'SETI Finds Yeti'
  • “Ancient history and legend around the world, as well as the Bible, attest to the fact that there were once giants in the earth; men of awesome dimensions, bulk and height."

They are coming back then.
    Sounds like one of their agents is touting players around.

Signing one of them might help stop us conceding from corners.
    Should easily pass the CL height test.

• Sponsored links:

• More interested in the programme on before it - ".....the genius of sofas"
  • Oggy Red said:

“Ancient history and legend around the world, as well as the Bible, attest to the fact that there were once giants in the earth; men of awesome dimensions, bulk and height."

Sounds like Simon Makienok...
  • Oggy Red said:

“Ancient history and legend around the world, as well as the Bible, attest to the fact that there were once giants in the earth; men of awesome dimensions, bulk and height."

Sounds like Simon Makienok...
    Not really. He's just a very nice Viking.

• You mean feckers!

What's the difference in believing this AND that some multi millionaire foreign fuck wit can run an English football club in that countries 2nd tier?

Some of us hoped we believed it...
  • edited April 2016
    I've said before, the Regime's public statements remind me of the bit in Mars Attacks where the Martians are laying waste to a town with their ray guns while proclaiming through an loud-hailer that they come in peace.

This revelation that they are in fact from another planet only strengthens this comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogp_Dai691k
  • SDAddick said:

Post of the week for me.

There have been a lot of false alarms through SETI in the past. Obviously this would be incredibly cool, but there are a lot of caveats, including that our definition of a planet "being able to support life" is a pretty narrow one, given that it is limited to carbon-based life forms, usually with liquid water and "mild" temperatures.
    I've always argued this point with friends and family, very arrogant to assume our atmosphere is the only one capable of supporting life forms.
  • DA9 said:

SDAddick said:

Post of the week for me.

I've always argued this point with friends and family, very arrogant to assume our atmosphere is the only one capable of supporting life forms.
    Not just that, but a few years ago a silicon based bacteria was found proving that life is not necessarily carbon-based.

http://gizmodo.com/5704158/nasa-finds-new-life

To be fair, I think that if you were to ask those involved in SETI they would say "we are looking for life that mimics that found on earth," and would not qualify it as the only form of life possible.
  • Cuckoo KM?
  • 25May98 said:

Cuckoo KM?

Its the local radio station on Cuculus/i

The adverts have been dubbed as being Gobbledegook though, hence the poor ratings.
  • DA9 said:

SDAddick said:

Post of the week for me.

The point is though, it's the only one we KNOW can support life. If you have a virtually infinite number of planets to search for life, then you have to narrow it down a bit because your chances of just randomly pointing your telescope at the right planet are infitesimally small. As our atmosphere is the only one we know can support life, makes sense to start looking for atmospheres like ours and work out from there.
  • Sponsored links:

• DA9 said:

SDAddick said:

Post of the week for me.

The point is though, it's the only one we KNOW can support life. If you have a virtually infinite number of planets to search for life, then you have to narrow it down a bit because your chances of just randomly pointing your telescope at the right planet are infitesimally small. As our atmosphere is the only one we know can support life, makes sense to start looking for atmospheres like ours and work out from there.
    Right, and I didn't get the impression that DA was criticizing that, it's just that (as we've seen on our own planet) the possibility for life is not limited to carbon.

I saw a documentary on SETI a couple years back. They are very cool. They basically evolved from begging and borrowing telescope time after having their federal funding revoked to being a pretty robust program (with a telescope array being built for them by UC Berkeley). What they do it search for the near impossible, which is damn romantic if you ask me.
  • Are there a few whooshes on this thread?
  • I want to know what David Icke thinks about this.

I want to know what David Icke thinks about this.

No, don't go there, it will drive you mad!

Although, I have said before that David Icke, despite his off-the-wall beliefs, knows more about football than equally off-the-wall Roland Duchatelet
    which is a rather frightening thing to contemplate.
  • I am waiting for the headline .. 'SETI Finds Yeti'

Living with Sweaty Betty.....
  • All we needed to know was that the ingredients for life and importantly water are on other planets - statistics then tell us there has to be, was or will be life on other planets. We will almost certainly never know about any of it it though!
  • More to the point, is there ANY form of intelligent life coming into the CAFC squad and management/owner structure during the close season ?
  • More to the point, is there ANY form of intelligent life coming into the CAFC squad and management/owner structure during the close season ?

No
  • None at Charlton whatsoever

I want to know what David Icke thinks about this.

No, don't go there, it will drive you mad!

Although, I have said before that David Icke, despite his off-the-wall beliefs, knows more about football than equally off-the-wall Roland Duchatelet
    which is a rather frightening thing to contemplate.
    I've long said I would support a David Icke-based takeover. The way I see it is we can either try to go back to being a normal, respectable club, or we can just go full on mental. Chairman Icke would have to give daily press conferences, or lectures, and should be allowed to select no more than 5 Reptoid aliens in the starting 11 for each match.