Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Credit to Nick Pope

Really glad to see the crowd getting behind him - the lad had some real stick earlier in the season when he was struggling.
Seems to have done really well out on loan but nerves seem to have got to him at Charlton and now he seems to be getting past that.
Some of the abuse him and Fox have had from our fans this season has been pretty appalling - admire them both for having the strength of character to keep going.

Comments

• Interesting quote from Jurgen Klopp after the Bournemouth game yesterday... He rested Mignolet and gave Danny Ward his debut in goal who is a highly rated Welsh 'keeper who had been on loan @ Aberdeen earlier this season.

Danny Ward was brilliant. Let the self-confidence grow of goalkeepers, they're normal human beings.

The more saves that Nick Pope makes the confidence will grow in him, just as the mistakes he makes will dent it.

We as the fans dont need to make his job any worse so the standing ovation was brilliant to see.
  • Always thought the first save where he kicks off the line was reminiscent of when we played Man City and beat them 4-0 in our first season back in the Premier League, when John Robinson scored

Nicky Weaver did an air kick with the ball going into the net yet reckon he was trying what Pope managed on Saturday.
  • Nug said:

One of my favourite moments of the season, the save and the reaction of the crowd.

Especially a few moments later when he turned to walk back to take the goal kick and the entire crowd stopped and clapped.
  • As a father of a 10 year old who insists on being a goalkeeper (not bad one either)... I have total respect for Pope.. Hardest position on the pitch and when they make an error they concede..

Think Pope and Webb junior both have great careers ahead of them
  • Webbja77 said:

As a father of a 10 year old who insists on being a goalkeeper (not bad one either)... I have total respect for Pope.. Hardest position on the pitch and when they make an error they concede..

Think Pope and Webb junior both have great careers ahead of them

Does Webb junior pass the height test?
  • The first save was one of the best I've seen live, then add getting back in position so quickly to be able to save the second one. Quite simply, wow!
  • The first save was one of the best I've seen live, then add getting back in position so quickly to be able to save the second one. Quite simply, wow!

I thought he just ran to the ball and kicked it... Seeing it again I cant believe how he gets a toe out to save it.
  • Sponsored links:

• In my opinion one of the best keepers of all time was Pat Jennings. And he knew when it was easier to save with his feet which he regularly did. A legacy of his time playing Gaelic football I suspect. And of course he knew where the opposition goal was - just ask Alex Stepney!
  • yes great double save and the crowd reaction was brilliant one of the highlights of the season. I was one that thought Nick wouldn't make it but now I am hoping he's our number 1 next year.
  • edited April 2016
    In some ways, Charlton's relegation is probably a good thing for Pope. If Hendo leaves (I hope he doesn't - he's class), Pope is no.1
  • In some ways, Charlton's relegation is probably a good thing for Pope. If Hendo leaves (I hope he doesn't - he's class), Pope is no.1

Even if Hendo stays, he shouldn't automatically be No 1 ahead of Pope
  • Nothing really to add, but just want to second this.

I'm pleased for him, I wasn't there on Saturday - but I almost think he needed something dramatic like that double save to make the sarcastic cheerers re-think... rather than just a collection of solid performances like he's put in lately.
  • Without wishing to be negative on a pleasingly positive thread, might we struggle to hold onto him if he keeps impressing?
  • wmcf123 said:

Without wishing to be negative on a pleasingly positive thread, might we struggle to hold onto him if he keeps impressing?

He was linked with Villa / Spurs a few years ago wasnt he?
  • Makienok could probably score 8 goals in each of our final 5 games and save us from relegation yet he'd get physically assaulted in the street.
  • Someone next to me was saying that they preferred Hendo. He'd missed a few recent games and I told him Pope was looking a lot more confident. Then he pulls off that fantastic double save.
    One of the highlights of the season for me (not that there's a lot of competition, but still)
  • Sponsored links:

• Pope has the ability to pick up the flight of the ball very early, which is why he's always been so good at crosses. He's always been a good shouter too, and with confidence he could become a very commanding goalie. I don't know if he's sorted out his problem with low shots, but I bet he will sort that out and become a very very good goalie.
  • Looks a really good keeper and his confidence has come flooding back under Riga.Big congratulations to him and I feel much happier with him in goal now.Henderson's mind seems somewhere else at the moment.
    Keep it up going Nick,your job for as long as you want it now.
  • edited April 2016
    Totally agree with this post, but I think sometimes we've been a bit hard on some players this year due to our frustrations in general.

I agree many have not performed (we only need look at the table and the scoreline drubbings we have had) but sometimes felt the negativity directed at players like Fox and Pope clearly had an effect on them.They aren't the worst left back and keeper i'd seen in a Charlton shirt over the years.

Especially Pope who I think could go on to be an excellent keeper, those who remember Dean Kiely will also remember one home game in front of the north stand when he went down to smother a cross and promptly threw it into his own net. We didn't get on his back, there was an intake of breath for sure but followed by a minutes 'Deano, there's only one Deano'. Appreciate some may feel he had 'earned' that, but I also think we owe it, especially to the younger players to help them as much as we can.

Anyway, well done Popey, I suspect you'll be number one next year.
  • Funny that you should mention Deano Rob7Lee, the saves Pope made Saturday were the best I have seen since Deano. Absolutely 1st class and capped several good games.
    Keeping behind a much better defence has obviously helped as well but I think he will develop into a top goal keeper. It is his shirt to lose and I do not see that happening for a long time.
  • I agree, due to the incompetent managers earlier in the season some players such as Fox and Pope have been exposed in the first team to learn their trade when they really shouldn't have. Doesn't make them bad players but they've been let down for sure.

Fox has had ineffective support in front of him on the left much like pope has from the centre backs until recently with Tex & Fanni.

Pope I think is naturally a good goalkeeper but expose any keeper like we have and we will concede a lot and for keepers a lot is about having that confidence, just ask Deano when he had Fish, Rufus or the tank in front of him.

Fox is slightly different in that his heart is strong but he still needs to learn more positional play and sensing/reading danger. Not easy in most of the teams he's played in this season with no helpin front or beside him.

Players like Minto were naturals, helped by the fact he had players like Walsh in front of him, much like the left backs who played with Robinson did such as konchesky. You always knew as the left back they had your back. Having experienced centre halfs talking you through the game also helps as a youngster.

Fox is still learning but needs experience in front and beside him, in the right team and manager I think over the next season he'll come good. I think a few year younger JJ on the left would have meant you'd have seen a very different Fox this year.

We've had many players over the years who weren't exactly top class but we mixed good upcoming youngsters with experience and they more often than not came good due to that. We all know in this division that's what you need and why players like Garry Nelson were fantastic for us. Excellent reader of the game and got the best out of Leaburn.

I have a slightly different take on Lookman. I don't think Riga has been told not to play him but he's young, naive and still learning, the weekend was a prime example when he got brought down on the edge of the box. Experience would have meant after his first touch he'd have moved his body 3ft to the right so was in the area, which would have either meant a penalty or the defender backing off. You also saw Riga shouting at him to take the corner that Harriot was just about to and poor Lookman was like a rabbit in headlights glued to the spot. He needs nurturing which 90 minutes s game this season wouldn't have given him.
  • he's really improved .. but ssssshhhhh, don't tell anyone else he'll be sold for a song
  • Redrobo said:

Funny that you should mention Deano Rob7Lee, the saves Pope made Saturday were the best I have seen since Deano. Absolutely 1st class and capped several good games.
    Keeping behind a much better defence has obviously helped as well but I think he will develop into a top goal keeper. It is his shirt to lose and I do not see that happening for a long time.

His kicking is class too... We've not had many 'keepers who can make saves like Deano and kick better than him (Although not difficult)