Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club seem to be flooding Bexley schools with freebies for Brighton game

What with Brighton selling out, I'd expect a fairly full crowd for a change

Comments

• Yes, my wife's school got given 50. I think she was a bit disappointed when she said to me that she could get tickets for me and my daughter and I replied "nah, you're alright thanks"

Told her a bit about what's been going on and she said "that's probably why we've not had hardly anyone interested in them"
  • It's fine that the club want to give out these freebies but if the teachers don't want to go and then the kids won't be allowed to go on their Jack Jones if they are a primary school age for example.

• They use kids to try and soften the atmosphere - completely cynical move.
  • My sister works for s school in Thanesmead and has got 4 tickets. I am taking my 5 year old and my dad is taking my sisters 6 year old to their first games.

Will be a long time till they see a bigger crowd.
    Obviously taking own refreshments though!!
  • They still don't get it do they ?
  • cynical ploy. they know we will be down, or even relegated that day, so a ploy to make the atmosphere less toxic. don't think it will work as most kids will join in with any song being sung so 'we want Roland out' may be louder than ever.
  • Interesting approach for a game where sales will be restricted, as there could be a significant black market. Brighton fans are not a problem in general, but I'd imagine the police would have a view.
  • Sponsored links:

• shirty5 said:

It's fine that the club want to give out these freebies but if the teachers don't want to go and then the kids won't be allowed to go on their Jack Jones if they are a primary school age for example.

Doesn't work like that. It won't be organised groups, the tickets will be given out to the parents.
  • well seems like many schools get granted an allocation max of 50 which then gets mailed out to parents on their parent mail with the Club's phone number on to apply with a discount code for free tickets (though I'm sure it includes times when the ticket office is shut).
  • edited April 2016

Not sure about the Lord Valiant bit (is that what he's known as) but the rest totally agree, only noticed a few games back & just thought how contrived the whole thing appeared.
  • edited April 2016
  • cynical ploy. they know we will be down, or even relegated that day, so a ploy to make the atmosphere less toxic. don't think it will work as most kids will join in with any song being sung so 'we want Roland out' may be louder than ever.

Kids seem to love the Roland Out singing at the beginning of the game.

It'll certainly be a higher pitch.
  • Bexley school pupils have a real mean streak these days, they'll only add to the toxic atmosphere.

lots more smaller hands to throw things.
  • A friend of mine who is raising money for charity has put 3 hospitality packages for brighton game up for auction.Not sure how he got them.
  • As the Manics said "If you tolerate this your children will be next". We didn't tolerate it, but they've roped in the kids anyway. What a rotten world we live in :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• What about the schools in Katrien's catchment area of West London? I hope they got their fair share.
  • Well, there'll be at least 20 extra seats to sell that day that i know of !
  • shirty5 said:

It's fine that the club want to give out these freebies but if the teachers don't want to go and then the kids won't be allowed to go on their Jack Jones if they are a primary school age for example.

Doesn't work like that. It won't be organised groups, the tickets will be given out to the parents.
    It's the same way we distribute tickets for Leyton Orient games in schools around east London
  • From what I've seen of school kids being dragged along to a football match of which they have NO interest in whatsoever, they tend to make a general nuisance of themselves by running amok, but I suppose it gives their parents the afternoon off from parental duty as I found out when a few of them sat behind me once & didn't shut-up ALL match, so much so I had to move seats at half time as they were giving me a headache with their loud non-stop mundane "school gate" tittle tattle & no the little darlings didn't manage to dismantle one of the seats they had worked so hard to do over the course of the afternoon, they even done it in shifts so the other half of the workforce could practice who could run the fastest up & down the stairs & in between the rows of empty seats. Future season ticket holders ? no just a nice free afternoon out & a chance for the Mrs to have some me time. :-)

Perhaps CARD could hand out a songsheet to all the litter nippers? Perhaps some of the words might need a little tweek!
  • Sam lloyd said:

From what I've seen of school kids being dragged along to a football match of which they have NO interest in whatsoever, they tend to make a general nuisance of themselves by running amok, but I suppose it gives their parents the afternoon off from parental duty as I found out when a few of them sat behind me once & didn't shut-up ALL match, so much so I had to move seats at half time as they were giving me a headache with their loud non-stop mundane "school gate" tittle tattle & no the little darlings didn't manage to dismantle one of the seats they had worked so hard to do over the course of the afternoon, they even done it in shifts so the other half of the workforce could practice who could run the fastest up & down the stairs & in between the rows of empty seats. Future season ticket holders ? no just a nice free afternoon out & a chance for the Mrs to have some me time. :-)

Do the school bring them then or do you mean a Dad takes them out of the house?
  • edited April 2016
    They will learn a few choice words tomorrow. Hope none of them have a Dad called Roland, would hate one of them to have a slip of the tounge and call their Dad the c word when they get home.
  • have had quite a few parents round the school who have taken freebies now worries after hearing about protests and stuff....

have to question why the club thought it was wise to flood out hundreds of tickets to primary schools at short notice when the team were going to be relegated, and there is such a backdrop of supporter disharmony, there is strong demand from a sold out away club for more tickets.

If anything bringing new supporters with 4, 5, 6 year old kids at a time where there is a toxic atmosphere and the team is in disarray juts doesn't make any sense at all.

But then it occurred to me this morning. This is the classic Slater / Jiminez approach to getting attendances up at a time where the club is being looked at by prospective buyers...

Thats a good shout, but surely any Elliott/Varney led takeover will see straight through that?