Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Valley. When?

This picture of the Valley was on Twitter. East terrace overgrown?! Small crowd but seating full. Half terrace towards covered end closed. The raised terrace behind it under construction/closed?

Pre my time (1967) I reckon but when?

Comments

• No replacement panels on the west side of the covered end roof so before it was bomb damaged in 1944?

The sparse ground and overgrown top of the east suggests war time

• No floodlights so pre-1961 ....
  • I definitely wasn't at that match ...
  • No replacement panels on the west side of the covered end roof so before it was bomb damaged in 1944?

There are a couple of gaps in the roof so agree it could be war time.
  • when did the seats go into the paddock in front of the main stand? - it has to be after that
  • Extensive research in the museum's records (a quick look on google) says

"A wartime football match between Charlton Athletic and Reading Football Clubs at Charlton's stadium, the Valley August 1944"

In this pic you can see someone in uniform near the top of the east Terrace

Charlton 2 Reading 8. 3781
  • Sponsored links:

• That was just the half time score......

Terrific picture, someone's good a new screen saver.

;-)
  • The East terrace is seriously overgrown, and it was only 10 years old at that point! No wonder it fell apart so badly...
  • Could be a black n white still of the opening home game next season. Flog all that redundant steel and those shiny red seats.
  • still under Roland ... 2019
  • We did love a bit of shrubbery on the East terrace. Circa 87-90 were probably when it was at its absolute best and a proper natural habitat for wildlife.
  • Ah, when you see pics like this you realise the depth of a club's history, and how 'lucky' each custodian of the club is to be in a position to carry the club forward.

If only they realised it too.
  • stonemuse said:

No replacement panels on the west side of the covered end roof so before it was bomb damaged in 1944?

There are a couple of gaps in the roof so agree it could be war time.
    or we'd just played the spanners! ;)
  • Who'd of thought nearly 70 years later we would of been invaded by Belgians...
  • Around 1944 I'd say