Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What Is a Football Club?

Comments

• Yes, a football club is the supporters. Without the supporters there is no club. Simple to comprehend ( unless you're Belgian ).
  • Sir Bobby was one weird (meaning unique) individual {...}
  • We will get Roland, Katrien and Murray out! Just need to keep going!
  • edited April 2016
    sralan said:

Yes, a football club is the supporters customers. Without the supporters customers there is no club. Simple to comprehend ( unless you're Belgian ).

Corrected that for you.
  • Ta. ;-)
  • Sum,s it all up for me,will miss it.
  • I think they could sell this summer!
  • CWadlan said:

I think they could sell this summer!

Who would they sell the Summer to????
  • Sponsored links:

• CWadlan said:

I think they could sell this summer!

Who would they sell the Summer to????
    A winter loving black taxi driver, maybe?
  • Worried they will do what they did at Liege though! Sell the clubs best players then sell the club leaving us with nothing!
  • CWadlan said:

Worried they will do what they did at Liege though! Sell the clubs best players then sell the club leaving us with nothing!

We had to build almost an entire squad from scratch before in League 1 and it was a huge success.

No reason a new owner bringing in the right people to find these players could not do it again.
  • CWadlan said:

Worried they will do what they did at Liege though! Sell the clubs best players then sell the club leaving us with nothing!

We had to build almost an entire squad from scratch before in League 1 and it was a huge success.

No reason a new owner bringing in the right people to find these players could not do it again.
    That's true!
  • CWadlan said:

The Exact Quote!

Brilliant. Spine tingling stuff actually that resonates with us all.
  • CWadlan said:

The Exact Quote!

My dad was never a football fan, and I was in my late 30's when I started going to The Valley.
    But the feelings Bobby Robson emotes were exactly what I felt when I first started going.

Now all I feel is sadness at what is happening.

Unless they sell up and sod off, I won't be renewing next season.
  • One day we'll get our Charlton back and rebuild!
  • Prophetic words ... remember that feeling well as a kid especially floodlit night games when the turf looked so green.
  • I've often thought about it. Its a deep philosophical question. The players, owners, manager, change - even the ground sometimes - but the fans, which are the heart of the club, remain. I liken it to the scene in 'Only Fools and Horses' when Trigger says he's had the same broom for his whole life as a road sweeper - only x number of handles and x brushes! So what is the broom? Same philosophical question..what is the club? Hard to answer - the only 'constant' is the support...and as for Trigger - the only constant is his belief that it it is the same broom...
  • CWadlan said:

The Exact Quote!

I often climb up stairs, look down, see a strip of turf and fall in love.
  • Sponsored links:

• Succint and beautifully phrased by the late great Bobby Robson. We should plaster that all over the walls of the ground if we could!
  • This is a fantastic video!
  • The shirts. The players and managers change regularly, almost weekly basis at the Valley. The directors change. Even the fans move on to the great Floyd Road in the sky, and as many clubs have found, even stadiums can be changed- look at Arsenal Sunderland and Middlesbro. But away from Cardiff, clubs keep the forst strip fairly constant. Ee are the reds. We are Charlton.
  • Brilliant little film.
  • I can't remember which game it was and I have watched all the highlights videos from the 86/87 season but at one particular game (at Selhurst of all places) I became a Charlton fan. I remember looking out at 'my' team and thinking 'this is important to me'. I get upset If 'we' lose, I am so happy if 'we' win. I'm a Charlton fan. It's confirmed and I was 13. Up until then I was a glory seeking fan of Liverpool. I first went to the Valley in 84 and went to 6-8 games including the last game against Stoke in 85. But I just went because my Dad took me. It wasn't in my blood until 86.

I remember my first away game against Spurs just before Christmas (87?). We won 1-0. Amazing. Season tickets at Selhurst. Upton Park (didn't need a season ticket there, the bloke on the turnstile let almost anyone in on the under 15 gate for £5). Back to the Valley. Play off final 98. I didn't go to Wembley but my Dad did. He died on June 6th 98. To this day it doesn't take much to make me cry that I wasn't there.

I take my daughter to games now. Every time I walk through and see the pitch for the first time my default setting kicks in and I think of that first game I went to in 84 when my Dad put his coat on the East terrace barrier and sat me on it to watch us lose 2-0 to Watford in the cup.

When we won in the last minute against Birmingham my daughter went mental, she lost her voice and couldn't stop hugging me. I was in tears. It's about her 10th game and she is now Charlton. Confirmed.

I know what a football club is. Do you Roland?
  • 25May98 said:

I can't remember which game it was and I have watched all the highlights videos from the 86/87 season but at one particular game (at Selhurst of all places) I became a Charlton fan. I remember looking out at 'my' team and thinking 'this is important to me'. I get upset If 'we' lose, I am so happy if 'we' win. I'm a Charlton fan. It's confirmed and I was 13. Up until then I was a glory seeking fan of Liverpool. I first went to the Valley in 84 and went to 6-8 games including the last game against Stoke in 85. But I just went because my Dad took me. It wasn't in my blood until 86.

I remember my first away game against Spurs just before Christmas (87?). We won 1-0. Amazing. Season tickets at Selhurst. Upton Park (didn't need a season ticket there, the bloke on the turnstile let almost anyone in on the under 15 gate for £5). Back to the Valley. Play off final 98. I didn't go to Wembley but my Dad did. He died on June 6th 98. To this day it doesn't take much to make me cry that I wasn't there.

I take my daughter to games now. Every time I walk through and see the pitch for the first time my default setting kicks in and I think of that first game I went to in 84 when my Dad put his coat on the East terrace barrier and sat me on it to watch us lose 2-0 to Watford in the cup.

When we won in the last minute against Birmingham my daughter went mental, she lost her voice and couldn't stop hugging me. I was in tears. It's about her 10th game and she is now Charlton. Confirmed.

I know what a football club is. Do you Roland?

This is why we need to continue to protest and up the stakes! We shouldn't be protesting for ourselves but for future generations! I wasn't born when the Back To The Valley campaign happened and we returned to the Valley in 1992 but I am very grateful for fans that were involved as they allowed me to have a club to support now and I feel now it's my turn to protect and fight for our club so future generations can fall in love with this great proud club!