Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

HOWARD MARKS ... R I P

'Mr Nice' has died aged 70 .. is his passing a warning to heavy cannabis users that regular smokers tend to die earlier than non drug users/smokers ?

.. R I P Howard

Comments

• Options
    70 is ancient for someone who led a life like his. I'll make him right on one thing, a plant shouldn't be illegal

Rest in peace
  • Options
    His book is a cracking read. RIP "Mr Nice"
  • Options

His book is a cracking read. RIP "Mr Nice"

Indeed it is RIP
  • Options
    RIP

His cancer would have been from smoking tobacco rather than cannabis. Best to smoke it blunt.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Saw him on one of his speaking tours back in the late 90s, he was a very witty and able storyteller. His life may not have suited everyone but noone could say it had been boring.

RIP Howard.
  • Options
    Very good first book, follow ups not so great.

An interesting life for sure.

RIP
  • Options
    What a life he had..RIP
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="Carter" I'll make him right on one thing, a plant shouldn't be illegal

What like Opium and Heroine you mean?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Halix said:

Heroine you mean?
    Cinderella?
  • Options
    Neither opium nor heroin are plants, they are manufactured plant extracts as is cocaine.

I think the point Mr Nice and Carter are making is that the plant itself (weed, poppy, mushrooms and coca) should not be illegal. Particularly Howard Marks was focussed on weed.

There is no decent research I am aware of that suggests weed (without tobacco) is damaging in its organic form. Certainly not anything that suggests it should be illegal.

There is a much more interesting debate as to whether psychoactive substances refined from these plants, or strains of plant added to to increase the psychoactive impact (chemical induced skunk, opium, cocaine, lsd, heroin) should be illegal, controlled or just free for use and taxed like alcohol, tobacco, caffeine and sugar.

If I could buy organic weed legally, I would certainly prioritise that as a beneficial substance over both cigarettes and alcohol.
  • Options
    And while I'm at it, whatever happened to red seal, gold seal, flake and oil?

Crowded out by home grown chemical induced skunk I'm told by my associates who are more familiar with this sort of thing than me....
  • Options
    Halix said:

@Alwaysneil has already said it, I'll say though it is a plant and I don't understand how a plant can be illegal. Derivatives of that plant are a different issue (heroin, cocaine and the like) but as far as weed goes I don't touch it but don't see how growing or smoking the leaves and buds of a plant can be criminalised.
  • Options
    Lock all the pot heads up.

Howard Marks was a really interesting guy met him at a talk up in Hull once, was a hazy great evening.

RIP Mr Nice.
  • Options
    Oh, also, if you'd like to know why weed is illegal, you may wish to have a read of "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" by Jack Herer.
  • Options

Neither opium nor heroin are plants, they are manufactured plant extracts as is cocaine.

I think the point Mr Nice and Carter are making is that the plant itself (weed, poppy, mushrooms and coca) should not be illegal. Particularly Howard Marks was focussed on weed.

There is no decent research I am aware of that suggests weed (without tobacco) is damaging in its organic form. Certainly not anything that suggests it should be illegal.

There is a much more interesting debate as to whether psychoactive substances refined from these plants, or strains of plant added to to increase the psychoactive impact (chemical induced skunk, opium, cocaine, lsd, heroin) should be illegal, controlled or just free for use and taxed like alcohol, tobacco, caffeine and sugar.

If I could buy organic weed legally, I would certainly prioritise that as a beneficial substance over both cigarettes and alcohol.

But if you didnt have the plant, (and the allied forces tried fairly hard to destroy the Afghan poppy fields so I assume that they also thought these drugs were plant derivatives) then surely you would not have these drugs?.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Carter said:

Halix said:

@Alwaysneil has already said it, I'll say though it is a plant and I don't understand how a plant can be illegal. Derivatives of that plant are a different issue (heroin, cocaine and the like) but as far as weed goes I don't touch it but don't see how growing or smoking the leaves and buds of a plant can be criminalised.
    If you have ever been unfortunate enough to watch the program Australian Border Control (on Watch or Dave or Bruce), you will see that the Aussies have seemingly, and obsessively, made every plant and foodstuff illegal to import because of the "potential damage to indigenous Fauna..." So they have had a bash.
  • Options
    Halix said:

But if you didnt have the plant, (and the allied forces tried fairly hard to destroy the Afghan poppy fields so I assume that they also thought these drugs were plant derivatives) then surely you would not have these drugs?.
    Or morphine or many other opiates. Let alone all the canabaloid pain killers we have just started to look at.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Halix said:

Ahh bless, tried to destroy ? They were protecting those crops... Usage in the UK is peaking right now and prices have crashed. I can get a bag of smack just as easy as i can get weed... It wasn't like that 15 years ago.