Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Monarchy/Anti Monarchy

edited April 2016 in Not Sports Related
Has this already been done? Possibly...

Are you for or against the continued existence of the royal family?

What stand out benefit does it give the country to still have a monarchy?

Or Is it now just kind of pointless and an unnecessary expense for tax payers?

What are we celebrating exactly? English history is great but surely history is history and it was only interesting up to a point before they became relatively normal. (Whatever normal is)

I can personally see arguments on both sides but to be honest the reality of it I feel that it's now just a load of nonsense.

My full understanding as to what they do in their day to day lives and how they are important for the country and commonwealth countries is minimal so I welcome opinions that are perhaps more educated.

Comments

• Is anarchist the opposite of monarchist?
  • Stig said:

Is anarchist the opposite of monarchist?

I thought it was...I now think it's bs.
  • Been done to death on here
  • Hold on... there will be a couple of CL intellectuals along in a minute!

I am off.
  • When it comes to the monarchy I'm with the French.
  • Lol, this will be good - NOT!
  • Sponsored links:

• anti, but shudder at who might replace them, so maybe better the nobs you know than an alternative.
  • I
    Stig said:

I thought the opposite of a monarchist was a monorchid
  • I'd be up for an elected head of state

I'd also be up for the royal family running, and what's more Id probably vote for them. The queen, anyway.
  • Pro-monarchy
  • Im apathetic towards the Royals to be honest, it certainly is a load of nonsense but at the same time i have no strong desire to abolish them.
  • Against. No place for them in a modern democratic country.
  • I am a monarchist lite, a child of the Elizabethan age. I have yet in my lifetime to see any elected alternative worth a sniff of this current Queen of ours.

I think that when Lizzie goes, there will be a complete sea-change in public opinion and the whole concept will head off into history. No potential encumbant has the brass bollocks to keep that house of cards stable in a modern democratic society. So I say, let us be grateful for what Queen Elizabeth has given to our standing and prestige in this World and when she does shuffle off this mortal coil, give her a great send off.

President Blair or Johnson anyone?

Shudders!

*taps side of nose*

I hear ya
  • edited April 2016
    I don't see how anyone with any degree of self respect for themselves or their families can be "pro-monarchy"

Off with their heads. Parasites.
  • Weakly against, dislike the institution but I think QEII has done a good job and I've a lot of respect for her. Charles however is an utter utter dick. Either skip him and have William as king, or have a republic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Small "r" republican, so anti-monarchy.

But, in any event, I think that in an age of self-promotion, You Tube celebrity, instant media, selfies, and the like, the monarchy cannot hope to retain the distance and regal aura that it needs to survive. Today, any one of them making a gaffe will be all over the world within maybe an hour - and some of them are the gift that just keeps on giving...
  • Against, but I'm not about to start a revolution.
  • For the sake of around 60 pence a year?

For those against, did you not see the whole country come together in 2011 for the wedding of the Duke of Cambridge to Catherine Middleton? Then again in 2012 for The Queen's Diamond Jubilee, queuing us up for an excellent London Olympics?

• I think it is true to say we are subjects of her maj (God bless you ma'am), but citizens of Europe.
  • Stig said:

I thought Anarchist was only opposed to horse racing?
  • All this nonsense about them all being hard working is absolute rubbish, and that includes the Queen as well as all the parasites surrounding her .

We can never claim to be a democracy as long as we have this lot living the life of Riley at our expense.
  • Anti.

No place for them if there is a genuine desire for equality.
  • I'm on the fence but do wonder how much our tourist industry is boosted by
  • If there wasn't a monarchy, what would Spanish bar owners name their bars