Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rolly's fortune, how deep is his pocket?

"If you want to make a small fortune, start off with a large one and buy a football club"!

Examples: Steve Morgan - Wolves, WBA - Jeremy Peace, Villa - Randy Lerner, Bolton - Eddie Davies the list goes on.

Rolly the Douche - CAFC - Net worth half a billion Euros that's £423,000,000. He has spent the best part of £40,000,000, let us call that 10% of his net worth!

Relegation and future loss of revenues are facts that even the delusional "happy clappy crisis ridden management structure" at CAFC can't hide from the Bean Counters at year end.

This WILL get factored into next years business plan for CAFC, when in financial strife like CAFC is, there are two pretty common business options available:

Solution 1) Cut costs, tailor your cloth: Reduce staff costs, Sell off assets and attempt to survive on the new budget, (which one would argue will be a third or less of the old one).

Playing Staff - Long Term Contracts, Sa, Ba, Kashi, Baurer, Cellabos, Berdych, Johnson, JBG, Tex, Cousins, Lennon, TDH, Lookman, Igor (to name a few), to get rid of these assets, CAFC will have to settle up their contracts and move them on, if lucky "willingly" to another club and without CAFC subsidising the move, the problem here are best explained in two names: Polish Pete and George Tucadean. This will cost Rolly a lot of HIS money!

Sell off assets - Difficult to sell of a partially completed Academy, Sparrow Lane and the Ground both would be difficult sales, certainly no short term remedy, if a remedy at all.

Play the Academy kids and cross his fingers - The scenario we all fear!

Solution 2) Trade out of trouble - Unload what you don't need and invest in what you do need, to get out of trouble quickly.

Is he likely to want to chuck another pile of his wealth at CAFC? Subsidising the club still further? Spending more money to move players on and bringing in players to get promotion?

My Conclusions:

Lets go back to Rolly wealth pot, its currently £432M minus £40M. In this Solution 2 his investment could easily reach £75M plus by this time next year, we are now into 17/18% of his net worth (Ouch Rolly! is it hurting yet?). I really cant see that happening.

He will "Play the kids"
He will refuse to accept failure
He will fail in moving on expensive players
He will continue to mismanage the club using new "fresh faces" (Bye Kalamity)
He will attempt a "charm offensive"

This will still cost him money a lot of money!

Christmas, hovering around bottom of League 1.

Quality players are gone and replaced with kids or second/third division European cheap dross.

Panic in the January window, another dip into the Rolly wallet? At this point he may well remember just how much, Poyet, Williamson, Relegation Roger, Fanni, Sanogo and Motta cost him!

Whatever the "solution" the drain on his cash pot is inevitable will become unacceptable, he will be forced to sell for a faction of the investment made.

OR

He actually has some commercial acumen around him?

If he has plans will start in the summer and he will "cut his losses" and we have our Charlton back!

Please God with an owner that understands football in this country, rather than a delusional Twat from Belgium!

Keep the sofa as a memento to the idiots or give it to Richard Murray!

Comments

• Options
    A decent appraisal this but my fear is that he believes that the other alternative is to apply to redevelop the ground and get money back that way. Not saying it will happen or could happen but it has to be a possibility at least in his mind.
  • Options
    The trouble with cutting costs is that it doesn't just reduce outgoings, it reduces capability. Seeing as all areas of the club are pretty much incapable now as a result of their mismanagement, it's hard to imagine just how bad a reduced-capability Charlton be.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Some ups and some downs in the valuation of his fortune I expect.

While thinking about this, I came across this interview (there's a proper English translation at the bottom. It's quite interesting.)

ec.europa.eu/employment_social/2010againstpoverty/export/sites/default/downloads/Journalist_Award/JA_BE.pdf

Not least because his first business went bust. So he does do failure!

Anyway, the article says he owns half of Melexis with two business partners. So, let's say a quarter of it is his (probably much more). There are 40mn odd shares in Melexis. So let's take a guess and say he's beneficial owner of 10mn of them. For the last financial year Melexis paid a dividend of Euro 1.9 per share. So there you have it, his dividends could be paying for his Charlton adventures without him having to bother with dipping into his capital at all.

BTW I also bumped into a Melexis pdf here's an extract:

{...} Proposed resolution: The meeting decides to proceed to the reappointment of the following directors for a
    term of four years starting today and ending immediately after the ordinary general meeting of shareholders
    of 2018:
    a. Mr. Roland Duchâtelet, residing at Eduard Van Steenbergenlaan 52, 2100 Antwerp; {...}

I thought someone tracked down his home and it was in Sint-Truiden?
  • Options
    Would imagine that RDs wealth is increasing all the time, Charlton losses are likely no big deal to him.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Would imagine that RDs wealth is increasing all the time, Charlton losses are likely no big deal to him.

However , I would guess that a lot of his 'wealth' is tied up and not actually cash rich...
  • Options
    Must say cafcfan that is a very bizarre interview (get a poor guy and a multi millionaire to compare notes on life style), them Belguims are very weird, sorry I obviously mean unique!

I've read lots about Douche bag being tight (gaffer tape shoe) and this interview would suggest the same, I just hope it's true and he has an real aversion to loosing his money.

I concede we aren't privy to all his wealth but CAFC and British Football may well have introduced him to a "money pit" beyond his experience and expectation, least ways I hope it is and he cottons on and runs away quickly!

• Options
    I don't think any of this is costing Roly a penny , all he's doing is loading us up on debt, debt which eventually will make him sell up, if we don't go bust first.
  • Options
    Is that his poachers pocket?
  • Options
    Mt concern is that if he has the arrogance most people with his wealth have then he could, out of spite for the way we have reacted to him, just bleed us dry. He is 67 and I am sure when you have £400m plus, losing £100m is something you can live with, especially if there are numerous tax advantages with right offs. I hope when he's had enough he walks away. My fear is by then we will be a shell of a club and he won;t give a toss that he has ruined us.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    The Antwerp house/apartment is on the corner of a park with metal railings... "Time to go".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I don't think any of this is costing Roly a penny , all he's doing is loading us up on debt, debt which eventually will make him sell up, if we don't go bust first.

That's assuming that when he goes to sell, people are willing to cover what he has 'put in'. Which is unlikely.
  • Options
    If he really is only worth £423,000,000, the losses will be hurting him bad. I do think next years realistic budget could be a tipping point. This could show a loss of another £7m or £8m. I think he could panic. I suspect a lot of truth is being hidden from him at the moment. Keep up the pressure.
    Don't sponsor, don't book hospitality and don't buy a season ticket. Increase his expenses through the protests.
  • Options
    mogodon said:

Mt concern is that if he has the arrogance most people with his wealth have then he could, out of spite for the way we have reacted to him, just bleed us dry. He is 67 and I am sure when you have £400m plus, losing £100m is something you can live with, especially if there are numerous tax advantages with right offs. I hope when he's had enough he walks away. My fear is by then we will be a shell of a club and he won;t give a toss that he has ruined us.

Trust me, rich men do not live with losing £100m. (I once worked for an organisation at senior level where the Chairman was a multi-millionaire. He was the tightest guy I have ever met).
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    As stated half a year ago, RD was the only one of Belgium's top richest people to have lost money last year. The owner of Ostend FC (Marc Coucke - well known in Belgium for owning/sponsoring different kind of sports teams) saw his wealth grow to 1400 million €. RD lost approx. 100 million €, from 1300 to 1200 million €. The reason was a more accurate evaluation of his assets (stock market).

http://derijkstebelgen.be/vermogende/familie-roland-duchatelet/

I can only guess why an adress in Antwerp was mentioned, however it's the country's economical centre. St-Truiden is ... euhm ... kinda rural (well known for fruit etc ... ).
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    skywalker said:

As stated half a year ago, RD was the only one of Belgium's top richest people to have lost money last year. The owner of Ostend FC (Marc Coucke - well known in Belgium for owning/sponsoring different kind of sports teams) saw his wealth grow to 1400 million €. RD lost approx. 100 million €, from 1300 to 1200 million €. The reason was a more accurate evaluation of his assets (stock market).

I can only guess why an adress in Antwerp was mentioned, however it's the country's economical centre. St-Truiden is ... euhm ... kinda rural (well known for fruit etc ... ).

I saw the annual report and accounts of one of his companies from 2004 and it showed the same Antwerp address, in a street which appears residential, not commercial. Also:

Vivant VZW
    COMPANY PROFILE
    Company Vivant VZW (English = NGO)
    Trade Name ROLAND DUCHATELET
    Address Eduard Van Steenbergenlaan 52
    City Antwerpen (Deurne ) - 2100
    Country BELGIUM
    Location TypeHeadquarter
    DUNS® Number37-------

Also found it listed as home of M. Hofte, with phone number.
  • Options

Our debt is his debt, he owns us 100%. Of course he is losing money.
  • Options
    I took his net worth number from a couple of sources such as below, I think the (stock market) value is not the same thing.

He still seems to be a "Tight old git" even if he is worth more and I bet he hated being "the only one of Belgium's top richest people to have lost money last".

I cant see quite how he can actually make himself or CAFC go bust over this. , normally going bust need someone like the nice UK tax man to be chasing you for debts.

Its all his own money, he actually owes himself and is actively paying himself 3% interest on his own money. Now how weird "unique is that?

New York Addict had him banged to rights in his assessment of the CAFC accounts its worth a 10 minute read.

newyorkaddick.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/flawed-execution.html?m=1#comments

And his politics are straight out of Animal Farm, Rolly the Porkster?

independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/belgian-tycoon-roland-duch-telet-completes-20m-charlton-athletic-takeover-9038120.html

• Options
    People act like his wealth is stagnating, and his other enterprises do not make or lose money. If he has much of it tied up in assets, property etc then his net worth is most likely going up, and every cent stronger the Euro gets compared to Sterling, the more bang you get for your Euro
  • Options
    edited April 2016

skywalker said:

I saw the annual report and accounts of one of his companies from 2004 and it showed the same Antwerp address, in a street which appears residential, not commercial. Also:

Vivant VZW
    COMPANY PROFILE
    Country BELGIUM
    Location TypeHeadquarter
    DUNS® Number37-------

Registered and/or Service Address?

If you looked my company up all you'd see publicly about me is an accountancy firm in Old Street, if I remember correctly. Similarly, I think Katrien has her registered address as The Valley. I presume this is possible in Belgium?

I'll see if I can get any further info regarding Vivant or Melexis, I've still got access to a service that does financials & credit reports.
  • Options
    Back in the day the Companies Act (1985?) pretty much meant that most directors used their own address for UK registrations. That obligation went away as people realised it was unsafe, security wise. I'd be quite surprised if Belgium has a different system.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LuckyReds said:

skywalker said:

Vivant VZW
    COMPANY PROFILE
    Country BELGIUM
    Location TypeHeadquarter
    DUNS® Number37-------

Registered and/or Service Address?

If you looked my company up all you'd see publicly about me is an accountancy firm in Old Street, if I remember correctly. Similarly, I think Katrien has her registered address as The Valley. I presume this is possible in Belgium?

I'll see if I can get any further info regarding Vivant or Melexis, I've still got access to a service that does financials & credit reports.
    I doubt it's the address of any kind of third party agency, because the directory entry for Marieke Hofte (his unmarried partner) appears to be a personal one.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    My concern is that a lot of fans are understandably attributing his motivations to money and therefore think we should hold off on season ticket sales, buying things in the ground etc.

I honestly don't think the money thing is a major issue in his world. He isn't going to go bust over Charlton - we're not big enough a club for that to ever happen.

OK, so his wealth might reduce by 5-10% after this is all said and done. Big deal. He is 70 odd years of age with half a billion in the bank.

His motivation is his own EGO. He wants to do things his way, and be seen as some sort of innovator in a world where money tends to buy success in the modern game.

A few thousand people not renewing season tickets for 150-450 quid a pop each aren't really going to be something that keeps him up at night. What keeps this guy up at night are things that hurt his image - as we saw in the aftermath of the Boro game.
  • Options
    He's got crocodile arms !
  • Options
    Stig said:

cafcfan said:

Some ups and some downs in the valuation of his fortune I expect.

While thinking about this, I came across this interview (there's a proper English translation at the bottom. It's quite interesting.)

ec.europa.eu/employment_social/2010againstpoverty/export/sites/default/downloads/Journalist_Award/JA_BE.pdf

Not least because his first business went bust. So he does do failure!

Anyway, the article says he owns half of Melexis with two business partners. So, let's say a quarter of it is his (probably much more). There are 40mn odd shares in Melexis. So let's take a guess and say he's beneficial owner of 10mn of them. For the last financial year Melexis paid a dividend of Euro 1.9 per share. So there you have it, his dividends could be paying for his Charlton adventures without him having to bother with dipping into his capital at all.

BTW I also bumped into a Melexis pdf here's an extract:

{...} Proposed resolution: The meeting decides to proceed to the reappointment of the following directors for a
    term of four years starting today and ending immediately after the ordinary general meeting of shareholders
    of 2018:
    a. Mr. Roland Duchâtelet, residing at Eduard Van Steenbergenlaan 52, 2100 Antwerp; {...}

I thought someone tracked down his home and it was in Sint-Truiden?

Cheers for posting that @cafcfan there's some interesting stuff about his character in there. One bit that interested me was this:

Screenshot 2016-04-08 00.59.16

His view of the history of football is that it is something that was bequeathed to workers by industrialists just 100 years ago. It is a view that flies in the face of reality. The Chinese were playing a version of football 2200 years ago. The Japanese invented their Kemari ball skills game 1700 years ago. The ancient Greeks and Romans had games that involved kicking balls about. Indigenous peoples around the world from the Inuit to Australian Aborigines have all invented games that involved kicking whatever local materials that could be used as footballs. Indeed, it is probably fair to say that football-like ball games have evolved organically the world over. Not because of the deeds of the bosses, but because it's a fun thing to do.

Here in England the modern game developed from ball games played over a thousand years ago. In Italy Calcio Fiorentino dates back four hundred years. Duchatelet's own country, Belgium, was the first in mainland Europe to adopt the Association rules that had been developed in England. It wasn't as Duchatelet suggests that 'industrialists were looking for something to keep their workers busy', it was a craze that swept through the school system.

It's easy to see how Duchatelet's elitist, and erroneous, view of the games origins fits in with his imperious manner of managing clubs. It is also striking just how at odds it is with the origins of our own club: Young lads in the local neighbourhood grouping together and organising things for themselves. Of course, this won't matter to Roly, because the last thing he has any interest in is history. But to me it is just one more sign that he bought the wrong club.
    He should just say football has a significant working class orientated background......which is apparently all the motivation needed to buy a club?

Surely he didn't answer the question there.

His vision of football is to take away the clubs natural heart and soul...and piss alot of people off in the process, just because he can.

I think RD has a genuine natural mental condition that perhaps lacks empathy and a form of understanding to step into someone elses celotape strapped shoes. Doesn't make him an evil person...but that os statement is all the evidence you need.

Professionalism is extremely low on his list of priorities. Maybe that's because he already has outstanding wealth there's no motivation required to differentiate between what he says and what he thinks.
  • Options
    I believe that a hard copy of the 'Investors in People' standard can be purchased for £19.99. I think Roly is wide of the mark in all categories and should consider splashing out on it.

The Investors in People Standard
    The Standard explores practices and outcomes within an organisation under three performance headings: leading, supporting and improving. Under each heading, we have identified three key indicators.

Leading
    Creating purpose in a fast changing environment whilst motivating through change have become essential skills for many roles. Outperforming organisations foster leadership skills at every level of the organisation to deliver outstanding results.
    Leading and inspiring people
    Leaders make the organisation's objectives clear. They inspire and motivate people to deliver against these objectives and are trusted by people in the organisation.
    Living the organisation's values
    People and leaders act in line with the organisation’s values at all times. They have the courage and support to challenge inconsistent behaviours.
    Empowering and involving people
    There is a culture of trust and ownership in the organisation where people feel empowered to make decisions and act on them.

Supporting
    For many, constant change is now normal. Successful organisations are moving towards flatter structures to enable faster decision-making, customer focus and agility. Reduced overheads, better service for customers and more successful organisations are the benefits of this approach.
    Managing performance
    Objectives within the organisation are fully aligned, performance is measured and feedback is used.
    Recognising and rewarding high performance
    Recognition and reward is clear and appropriate, creating a culture of appreciation where people are motivated to perform at their best.
    Structuring work
    The organisation is structured to deliver the organisation's ambition. Roles are designed to deliver organisational objectives and create interesting work for people, whilst encouraging collaborative ways of working.

Improving
    The best organisations are always looking for opportunities to improve by seeking every marginal gain. They know that every small change adds together to enable them to constantly outperform.
    Building capability
    People’s capabilities are actively managed and developed. This allows people to realise their full potential and ensures that the organisation has the right people at the right time for the right roles.
    Delivering continuous improvement
    There is a focus on continuous improvement. People use internal and external sources to come up with new ideas and approaches, supported by a culture that encourages innovation.
    Creating sustainable success
    The organisation has a focus on the future and is responsive to change. Leaders have a clear understanding of the external environment and the impact this has on the organisation.
  • Options
    I very much hope so Ooh Ahh
  • Options
    CARDs trip to Belgium is where to hurt his ego. By taking the protests to his home land and getting in the press in Belgium Great initiative when that was done and bet Roly but face hated it
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Back in the day the Companies Act (1985?) pretty much meant that most directors used their own address for UK registrations. That obligation went away as people realised it was unsafe, security wise. I'd be quite surprised if Belgium has a different system.

That's understandable, I dislike even the thought of having my personal details on WHOIS records for domain names. I understand my girlfriend's father was also paranoid regarding his details being publicly available via Companies House data and a professional body. It seems like a security nightmare.