Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Other clubs and their protests

Being completely lazy, I thought you lot (who are better than Google) might fill me in on the following.

How successful have protests been at other clubs?

The first discontent I can remember (aside from the Valley in September 85) was at St. James park in the late 80's early 90's. We won 2-0 and during the game the Geordies were singing 'sack the board'. We joined in with this and sang the same (though I think the Geordies were not too happy about this).

Since then there have been several notable protests but if I'm being honest I have not really bothered myself with them. 'Not my team' , 'nothing to do with me' etc.... I think there are now many Charlton fans who will be far more sympathetic towards clubs with serious ownership problems.

Wimbledon, Blackpool, Aston Villa, Northampton, Brighton, Cardiff, Man utd, etc.... They have (along with many others) had their problems with owners. What has been the outcome? Man Utd didn't like the Glazers, formed a new team who now have their own ground etc..., but they are still owned by the Glazers. Cardiff changed colours etc....still owned by Tan. Blackpool threw tennis balls and invaded the pitch....still owned by Oystens.

IF there was a league table of the greatest protest groups how would CARD fair? Aston Villa praised us very recently. I have had conversations with friends who are very impressed at the way CARD are operating.

I guess my big question is, if Roland does not sell, when do we just 'put up with' or form AFC Charlton. Have Blackpool given up?

Thank you so much in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Avoid Blackpool on your fixed odds coupon on the last Saturday of this month.
  • Options
    CARD is far from finished so our protest will probably head up the league table. I always liked Brighton's protest mainly because of the solidarity of it. our fans and other clubs fans turned up in numbers to support the seagulls to protest against the selling of their ground. Didn't stop it though.
  • Options
    Bloody hell Karim - I'm pretty sure that's me and my son at the Goldstone.

Fair few Charlton there that day.
  • Options
    Protests against something specific and easy to change seem to be the most successful

The Liverpool £76 protest for example was an easy U turn for the club to make, similarly changing the Cardiff shirts back to blue.

It's major issues such as changing owners or reversing decisions to leave a ground which are much harder to succeed with. Leeds have been a joke off the field for years now, for example
  • Options

CARD is far from finished so our protest will probably head up the league table. I always liked Brighton's protest mainly because of the solidarity of it. our fans and other clubs fans turned up in numbers to support the seagulls to protest against the selling of their ground. Didn't stop it though.

I read on a Brighton forum that Charlton supported them in numbers when they had their troubles. I think they will be getting behind us on April 23rd (before enjoying their promotion party).
  • Options
    25May98 said:

I read on a Brighton forum that Charlton supported them in numbers when they had their troubles. I think they will be getting behind us on April 23rd (before enjoying their promotion party).
    A lot of Charlton fans gave their support to Brighton and it is remembered by them
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I think as we knew what it was like to lose and fight for our home made it an easy choice whether to support them or not. I think Brighton and Wimbledon will be very supportive of our current circumstances. As will leeds, Bolton, villa and Blackpool. Any others who have had recentish troubles?
  • Options
    25May98 said:

They will be sympathetic, but (at the moment) it's not in the same league as us playing at Palace and Brighton ground sharing with Gillingham!