Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gardening Advice

Comments

• T.C.E said:

Swisdom said:

A couple of my neighbours have Astroturf and I think it looks bloody awful. Quite expensive too.

A friend has one that is bright green - apparently it was cheaper. My guess is because nobody on earth wants it and they wanted to get shot of it.

Ours was more for practical reasons, our decking is some 10' above ground level and the dogs breaking a leg slipping on wet decking was more of a concern than what it looks like.
    Do your dogs live outside Ray?
  • Seriously don't use seed if your doing an entire lawn, turf is the way to go. See is a pain the the arse - and in my experience on any good for patches.

If you're really lazy and it's a small lawn anyway - what about AstroTurf - not a fan myself but one of my neighbours has it and it looks pretty good - and saves getting the flymo out.

I could be wrong (born, as I was with Agent Orange fingers), but if grass seed is a pain in the arse, you're probably not using it according to the instructions on the packet....
  • TEL said:

T.C.E said:

Swisdom said:

A couple of my neighbours have Astroturf and I think it looks bloody awful. Quite expensive too.

A friend has one that is bright green - apparently it was cheaper. My guess is because nobody on earth wants it and they wanted to get shot of it.

Ours was more for practical reasons, our decking is some 10' above ground level and the dogs breaking a leg slipping on wet decking was more of a concern than what it looks like.
    No mate, they sleep together in their own room in the house. We use the kennels to separate the dogs when we are training but want the others to watch and learn, when they are feeding on bones etc, to stop any potential fighting over food, also if we have anyone working in the house. A young Autistic lad visits with his parents and they behave very different at home so in they go. But no they are very much house dogs. ;)
  • smiffyboy said:

Seriously don't use seed if your doing an entire lawn, turf is the way to go. See is a pain the the arse - and in my experience on any good for patches.

If you're really lazy and it's a small lawn anyway - what about AstroTurf - not a fan myself but one of my neighbours has it and it looks pretty good - and saves getting the flymo out.

I decided to Astro turf over my decking as the whole garden was decked and looked very dull, looks really good now, the neighbours must think my girlfriend is mental, instead of cutting grass she takes the Hoover out there and hoovers it !!!

My Missus does that, although she did me no favours by blowing up a two week old Miele vacuum by using it the day after it poured down. :(
  • Is planting a few vegetables an option? My parents started doing it about five years ago when they redid their back garden. It's tricky at first, but it's really fulfilling and it's nice eating things you've grown yourself. In California we're lucky enough to have a year-round growing cycle, but I have no doubt you could do some lovely things for spring/fall.

Just a though.
  • edited March 2016

Seriously don't use seed if your doing an entire lawn, turf is the way to go. See is a pain the the arse - and in my experience on any good for patches.

I could be wrong (born, as I was with Agent Orange fingers), but if grass seed is a pain in the arse, you're probably not using it according to the instructions on the packet....
    I knew I should have sprinkled rather than inserted.
  • SDAddick said:

Is planting a few vegetables an option? My parents started doing it about five years ago when they redid their back garden. It's tricky at first, but it's really fulfilling and it's nice eating things you've grown yourself. In California we're lucky enough to have a year-round growing cycle, but I have no doubt you could do some lovely things for spring/fall.

Just a though.

Think I want to just try and keep it nice and simple with somewhere to enjoy in the summer... Quite a bit of the area will be taken up with raised decking as it sweeps round from the back door.

Sort of looking at the below kind of design.

The brown area round the outside will be that bark stuff with the bit at the bottom being beneath the decking (the red squares are where the stairs down would be)... then want a few stepping stones to the washing line (the black dot) and finally a shed (Anyone selling one?) in the right corner for everything to be stored in, whilst I want a nice bench the other side for enjoying the sun
  • SDAddick said:

Is planting a few vegetables an option? My parents started doing it about five years ago when they redid their back garden. It's tricky at first, but it's really fulfilling and it's nice eating things you've grown yourself. In California we're lucky enough to have a year-round growing cycle, but I have no doubt you could do some lovely things for spring/fall.

Just a though.

Think I want to just try and keep it nice and simple with somewhere to enjoy in the summer... Quite a bit of the area will be taken up with raised decking as it sweeps round from the back door.

The brown area round the outside will be that bark stuff with the bit at the bottom being beneath the decking (the red squares are where the stairs down would be)... then want a few stepping stones to the washing line (the black dot) and finally a shed (Anyone selling one?) in the right corner for everything to be stored in, whilst I want a nice bench the other side for enjoying the sun
    Watch the "Bark stuff" with animals.
    The same reason you shouldn't
    give dogs chocolate, I copied and pasted......

*Is cocoa mulch toxic to dogs? This is one of the most common questions concerning cocoa hull beans, and no cocoa hull mulch information should fail to mention its potential toxicity to dogs. Dog owners need to beware when using cocoa shell mulch that the shells do contain varying amounts of two compounds that are toxic to dogs, caffeine and theobromine.

The sweet smell of the cocoa mulch is attractive to curious dogs and could be potentially dangerous. If you have animals that have access to mulched areas in your landscape, it is wise to consider using another non-toxic mulch instead. If your dog accidentally ingests cocoa bean hulls, call your vet immediately.*
  • Our little border terrier bitch has ruined our grass peeing everywhere. Was thinking of astroturfing the lot, has anyone done this, got any tips?
  • T.C.E said:

SDAddick said:

Just a though.

*Is cocoa mulch toxic to dogs? This is one of the most common questions concerning cocoa hull beans, and no cocoa hull mulch information should fail to mention its potential toxicity to dogs. Dog owners need to beware when using cocoa shell mulch that the shells do contain varying amounts of two compounds that are toxic to dogs, caffeine and theobromine.

The sweet smell of the cocoa mulch is attractive to curious dogs and could be potentially dangerous. If you have animals that have access to mulched areas in your landscape, it is wise to consider using another non-toxic mulch instead. If your dog accidentally ingests cocoa bean hulls, call your vet immediately.*
    We do have cats but they rarely go outside...

With my missus being a Vet Nurse I'm constantly having to rethink my ideas because I keep being told; X stuff is poisonous to cats and dogs, Y stuff is poisonous them too... etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• pay someone else to do it
    include a wildflower/all native species border for wildlife and especially winged pollenator habitat
    sit back and enjoy the view
    T.C.E said:

Remove all the grass and cover with weed proof membrane, add 5 ton of 15mm and 5 ton of 10mm pea shingle, railway sleepers added for effect, retire to a comfy chair on raised decking covered in artificial grass and sample a cold beer. Totally maintenance free, the kennels and the dogs are optional extras ;)image

that's the antithesis of a garden
  • Our little border terrier bitch has ruined our grass peeing everywhere. Was thinking of astroturfing the lot, has anyone done this, got any tips?

Yes, we have two Brussels griffons and they seem to shit for Belgium (note they are 7 years old and predate the Belgian regime).

I've unfortunately had three gardens over the last 5 years due to son being born (move to bigger place) and marriage breaking up (move to smaller place) and have had Astro put in in all three locations because otherwise the garden is unusable. Dog shit comes up great from Astro but not that well off real grass.

Personally I would pay to have it installed because it can be a bitch.

The key things are:
    1) clear the ground and level it absolutely flat, this can take ages especially on a hill where there can be left to right and front to back height differences
    2) edge all the way round with board
    3) lay a good quality membrane
    4) put down at least an inch of sand
    5) lay the best quality Astro you can get. Bear in mind it has a specific width (like a carpet roll) so may need joining, lay it in the direction so that the joins are least visible from where you will see it most (normally lay side to side so you can't see the join as you look down the garden from the house)

Don't buy really cheap stuff as it will look shit but there's a lot of good looking cheapish stuff, if you can, see some laid as small samples don't really show the ful picture and neither do internet pics.
  • For lawns, get this book, only a few quid on ebay.image
  • pay someone else to do it
    include a wildflower/all native species border for wildlife and especially winged pollenator habitat
    sit back and enjoy the view

T.C.E said:

Remove all the grass and cover with weed proof membrane, add 5 ton of 15mm and 5 ton of 10mm pea shingle, railway sleepers added for effect, retire to a comfy chair on raised decking covered in artificial grass and sample a cold beer. Totally maintenance free, the kennels and the dogs are optional extras ;)image

that's the antithesis of a garden
    Thanks, but it serves our purpose. ;)

Yes, we have two Brussels griffons and they seem to shit for Belgium (note they are 7 years old and predate the Belgian regime).

I've unfortunately had three gardens over the last 5 years due to son being born (move to bigger place) and marriage breaking up (move to smaller place) and have had Astro put in in all three locations because otherwise the garden is unusable. Dog shit comes up great from Astro but not that well off real grass.

Personally I would pay to have it installed because it can be a bitch.

The key things are:
    1) clear the ground and level it absolutely flat, this can take ages especially on a hill where there can be left to right and front to back height differences
    2) edge all the way round with board
    3) lay a good quality membrane
    4) put down at least an inch of sand
    5) lay the best quality Astro you can get. Bear in mind it has a specific width (like a carpet roll) so may need joining, lay it in the direction so that the joins are least visible from where you will see it most (normally lay side to side so you can't see the join as you look down the garden from the house)

Don't buy really cheap stuff as it will look shit but there's a lot of good looking cheapish stuff, if you can, see some laid as small samples don't really show the ful picture and neither do internet pics.
    Thanks for the advice, going to have to seriously think about doing this. Are the dogs happy running around on it?
  • The dogs love it.
  • Assuming you are not creating a bowling green.

Level as best you can, rake in grass seed, water, wait and then watch as the kids destroy.
  • T.C.E said:

TEL said:

T.C.E said:

Swisdom said:

No mate, they sleep together in their own room in the house. We use the kennels to separate the dogs when we are training but want the others to watch and learn, when they are feeding on bones etc, to stop any potential fighting over food, also if we have anyone working in the house. A young Autistic lad visits with his parents and they behave very different at home so in they go. But no they are very much house dogs. ;)
    I quite like the set up you have there Ray. Our dogs have their own garden area and Ive been thinking of making something like what you have, a run/kennel for when we are out so they can get shelter from the sun and rain. And as you say, ideal to separate them when training. One of ours is three years and the pup is 10 months.
  • TEL said:

TEL said:

If you use round up you will have to leave the ground for at least 6-8 weeks. Then rake off all the dead stuff. Then get at least 100mm of good quality top soil. The really hard part is finding a really good quality seed. Ive just used a Tall Fescue variety which in this unpredictable environment has done really well. The other option is to hire a rotavator then filter out the crap, roll it and top soil it.

Have been looking around this morning and just been getting confused which is why I decided to come on here and ask... Don't really want to hire a rotavator... if I was to get at least 100mm of good top soil do I just rake it into the soil before seeding?
    Prepare the existing area get it as flat as possible and then put down your top soil. Seriously research the seed as most of the stuff you will buy over the counter at Garden centres is only good for patching. When you sow the seeds make sure the soil is damp but not wet. Then rake the seeds lightly.....over seed it, dont be shy. Then you have to water it but make sure you dont just wash the seeds away. Ive done much bigger areas than yours and you can get good results, but its not just as case of sprinkling and hope. Make sure you get really good top soil.....shop around and tell the suppliers what youre doing and what they recommend.
    Cheers for the advice... Do you have a particular brand of seed that you can recommend?
    I live in Australia mate, so not a brand I can recommend. I did a lot of research into grass seed types and from what I read, I decided in a tall Fescue seed from a company called McKay's. Its quite a broad leaf grass, and its tolerant to both rain and drought, and grows quite tall and very dark green. Im really pleased with it. I previously did some patching around the garden with the packet seed from garden centres and its usually a mixed seed and to be honest although it grew ok, it didnt last. I ended up buying a 20kg sack which cost me about $450, so about 200 quid. I still have around a third of the sack left and Ive done around 200sqm in different spots around the garden. Google grass seed in bulk see what you can find. But as mentioned previously, do the same research regarding the top soil as different ph's will affect the outcome.
  • TEL said:

T.C.E said:

TEL said:

T.C.E said:

Swisdom said:

I quite like the set up you have there Ray. Our dogs have their own garden area and Ive been thinking of making something like what you have, a run/kennel for when we are out so they can get shelter from the sun and rain. And as you say, ideal to separate them when training. One of ours is three years and the pup is 10 months.
    I think it was about £600 supplied and fitted 27'x12'x6' at its lowest point, money well spent as far as we're concerned.
  • Sponsored links:

• T.C.E said:

TEL said:

T.C.E said:

TEL said:

T.C.E said:

Swisdom said:

I think it was about £600 supplied and fitted 27'x12'x6' at its lowest point, money well spent as far as we're concerned.
    Does it come in handy, when you're in the doghouse?
  • Call in Paddy Powell
  • T.C.E said:

TEL said:

T.C.E said:

TEL said:

T.C.E said:

Swisdom said:

Does it come in handy, when you're in the doghouse?
    I've often thought about going in there with the dogs when the grandchildren are here. ;)
  • Excellent so what I'm looking at is...

Googling gardeners in my area.
  • T.C.E said:

SDAddick said:

Just a though.

I don't think too many owners know the danger of chocolate, I didn't until last year. My daughter makes organic chocolate from scratch and left half a kilo of pure cocoa nibs in the kitchen and it was Xmas Eve. Our standard poodle and small terrier found them and scoffed the lot. I just thought it was funny but my daughter freaked out as she knew it could kill them. Have you ever had to get emergency vet treatment at midnight Xmas Eve!!!! Fortunately we had insurance so didn't have to take out a mortgage to pay the bills.

Off topic sorry.
  • If you want to get your lawn looking its best you need some ammonium nitrate fertiliser. A good trick I've learned is to mix it with diesel before spreading it. When your in the garden center save yourself some time and try and buy the two of them together. Good luck.
  • T.C.E said:

TEL said:

T.C.E said:

TEL said:

T.C.E said:

Swisdom said:

It would cost 1000's here Ray, a wooden garden shed starts at about a grand....I can make one though.
  • If you want to get your lawn looking its best you need some ammonium nitrate fertiliser. A good trick I've learned is to mix it with diesel before spreading it. When your in the garden center save yourself some time and try and buy the two of them together. Good luck.

Thanks Santa... I guess its not easy growing snow at the North Pole either, plus that fertiliser sounds like something the Russians would use for their rockets ;)

Do you get any visits from the anti-terrorist police?