Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football and European vote

Just seen on the BBC website and also mentioned on BBC breakfast this morning that should we leave the EU then up to 332 Prem and Champ players will not qualify to play here without some kind of agreement. Now this is not a thread about staying or going, I refuse to get into politics on this occasion, but I thought the following taken from the Beeb's website was interesting-:

An analysis of squads in the first two tiers in England and the Scottish Premiership has revealed a total of 332 players would fail to meet the current standards.

Aston Villa, Newcastle United and Watford could lose 11 players from their squads, while Charlton Athletic would need to find 13 replacements.

In fact, only 23 of the 180 non-British EU players currently playing in the Championship would get work permits, and most of those are former internationals from Ireland or Commonwealth nations with British passports.

Comments

• edited March 2016
    Ignoring the politics of it more opportunity for English players should drive up English standards.

The reality, given that money always talks, is that little or nothing would change and the BBC are stating their position without actually coming out directly.
  • Football is such big business that the reality will be that there's very little, if any, change at all.

It's a non story.
  • As I understand the football rules in this country you are still only allowed to player 3 foreign players but EU players count as British because of EU employment laws. If we leave the EU then all the non British passport holder become foreign players again leaving 8 British players on the pitch at all times.
  • Of course, the football authorities and government will be able to do whatever they like with European 'illegals' in this country if we leave.

But we may need a few more referendums to decide what level of general immigration is eventually permitted.
  • Was already voting out but if that doesnt persuade CARD supporters to vote to leave I dont know what will.

Your all supporting Roland if you vote to remain!!! ;)

Certainly not supporting one Belgium individual if you vote out, too much of a sweeping statement. need to look at the whole senario, so vote to stay in for the sake of everyone/everything.
  • I would vote for Brexit if it meant Reza was never allowed back into the UK
  • Game changing news for many Charlton fans.
    Oh but hang on, Rog the relegator isn't affected by it.
  • So potentially no more Naby Sarr'esque signings if we vote out?

What a shame that would be.

They'd only be replaced by academy players that aren't ready. Either way we won't have a competitive team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Interesting that Charlton , Villa and Newcastle are singled out. Season going well for all 3 with their raft of foreign signings!
  • The whole article is ridiculous. If we left the EU, we don't know what terms we'd be on and therefore don't know how and who would be affected.

Footballers contributing thousands per week in tax, even at championship level and possibly below, are hardly the kind of people we'd be turning away from work visas.

The article kind of admits it's a waste of time at the end when it states "But all this depends on how we Brexit - and that is impossible to predict".

Remainers know that the working class who are most affected by our EU membership are most likely to vote for Brexit, so this article is a threat at their cherished football.
  • Some sort of moratorium would cover all incumbent players while the exit deal was negotiated. We all have to remember that if the vote is "out" then it will not be so from the next day - it will take several months at minimum, and more likely years, until the UK would leave the EU. So this BBC piece is scaremongering IMO.
  • So potentially no more Naby Sarr'esque signings if we vote out?

I see your Naby Sarr and raise you a Roger Johnson.
  • cafcfan said:

So potentially no more Naby Sarr'esque signings if we vote out?

Non-British?
  • Scoham said:

cafcfan said:

So potentially no more Naby Sarr'esque signings if we vote out?

Non-British?
    No,just shit!
  • Scaremongering. True, but lets be honest, there's a lot more coming from the outies.
  • Surely an 'out' vote calls into question Charlton's future within the Duchatelet network? Without the free movement of his 'assets' into and out of the club doesn't that hamper his ability to try to build these players' value?
  • I think we're going to need more than 13 replacements..