Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hall of Fame vote

From the OS:

George Jones reports

Supporters can now vote for three more former stars to join the Charlton Athletic Hall of Fame.

Run by the fans’ forum, the likes of Sam Bartram, Derek Hales and Clive Mendonca have already taken their places, with Harold Hobbis, Derek Ufton and Mark Kinsella joining them last season.

As always, the nominees are divided into three eras: pre-1950s, 1951-80 and 1981 until the present day, and fans have the choice of three players from each period.

You can either vote online by clicking here or by visiting the club’s museum, which is located at the top of the North Stand. Voting closes on Monday, April 25th and, as always, the results will be revealed at the Player of the Year dinner on May 1st.

See below for this year’s contenders and be sure you pick up a copy of Saturday's Valley Review as we profile each of the nine nominees in depth.

Pre-1950s
Jimmy Oakes - a flying left-back, Oakes joined Charlton in 1933 from Port Vale and went on to make 234 appearances for the Addicks in a seven-year spell with the club. Oakes was a stalwart of our pre-war years and, given the quality and reliability that he possessed, he was unfortunate not to win honours at the highest level.

Harold Phipps - Born in Dartford in January 1916, Phipps made the first of his 201 Charlton appearances away at Preston North End in the FA Cup in 1946 - a year we, of course, reached the final in. Though disrupted by the tailend of the Second World War, a glittering Addicks career saw Phipps, a defender, turn out in three Wembley finals.

Norman Smith - An early holder of Charlton's record appearance accolade, Smith experienced a number of highs a lows during his 450-game career in SE7. The defender, Newcastle born, won three promotions while with the Addicks and was a key member of the squad that won back-to-back promotions to Division One in 1935 and 1936. 

1951-1980
John Hewie - The very definition of club legend, Hewie played in every position for the Addicks - including in goal on four occasions - during his 15-year association with Charlton. Raised in South Africa, Hewie earned international caps for Scotland and was described as "one of the greatest players ever to represent Scotland" by Tom Reid, the then President of the Scottish FA.

Colin Powell - The tricky winger joined the Addicks in 1972 - two years after he had first been recommended to manager Theo Foley - and went on to make 338 appearances for the club. An exciting wideman that got supporters on the edge of the their seats with his ability to run and cross, Powell was also a master of the art of winning penalties, due to his quick feet.

Johnny Summers - Recruited for a mere £3,300 at the age of 29 in the 1956/57 season, the club had been interested in securing Summers' services a number of months beforehand. A powerful forward, the Shepherds Bush-born striker bagged 104 goals in 182 games for Charlton, five of which came in our incredible, 7-6 victory against Huddersfield Town in 1957.

1981 to date

Bob Bolder - Former agricultural labourer Bolder enjoyed spells with Sheffield Wednesday, Liverpool, Sunderland and Luton Town before joining Charlton in 1986. The goalkeeper made 296 appearances while with the Addicks, including an unbroken run of 108 league matches, in the First Division.

Carl Leaburn - A graduate of our academy, Leaburn went on to earn cult-hero status in SE7. The imposing striker made 376 appearances for the club, scoring 66 goals, and can boast being the only man ever to score for the club in a European competition after finding the net in the Anglo-Italian Cup against Anconna in November 1993, just two minutes after coming off the bench!

Colin Walsh - The scorer of one of the most famous goals in our history - our first back at The Valley in December 1992 - Walsh joined the Addicks from Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest in 1986. The Scottish midfielder possessed a wand of a left foot and unrivalled bravery, which twice saw him suffer a broken leg. He turned out 291 times for the Addicks, scoring 30 times.
Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-athletic-hall-of-fame-fans-forum-3025333.aspx#pGcXTYTYh5eq0WPZ.99

Comments

• edited March 2016

• I'll be voting

pre-1950s Smith

50s to 80 Hewie

81 to date Walsh

Worth reminding people that this is a fan's initiative not something run by the club.

It celebrates our history.

Exactly who I voted for as well
  • Oakes

Powell

Bolder
  • Should that board not be in a more prominant position - like on a wall at the entrance or somewhere like that? propped up against a wall kind of suggests it's really not that important - which i'm not saying is the case, it just comes across like that - almost like someone's just found it in an old cupboard or something.

Perhaps the FF need to consider their own website, whereby they can promote their own events/initiatives rather than having to rely on this piss taking club to do it for them?
  • Some tough choices there I must admit

Phipps would be a good vote because of his Cup exploits whilst I must admit I've not heard of either Oakes or Norman Smith, if the latter has played over 450-games then he gets my vote though. Again in the next era those three are extremely difficult choices but it has to go to John Hewie... the present date era seems a bit meh to be honest, don't think Leaburn should be one of the nominations just yet so for me its Colin Walsh because of that goal.
  • braydex said:

Should that board not be in a more prominant position - like on a wall at the entrance or somewhere like that? propped up against a wall kind of suggests it's really not that important - which i'm not saying is the case, it just comes across like that - almost like someone's just found it in an old cupboard or something.

Perhaps the FF need to consider their own website, whereby they can promote their own events/initiatives rather than having to rely on this piss taking club to do it for them?

Its not propped up against a wall, It's fixed to the wall.

It is in quite a prominent position too given the limited space we have in the museum. You can't really miss it in the museum but I was looking for a pic that showed the names rather than the board itself.
  • Smith, Powell and Walsh for me
  • Agree with Henry and Forever. Smith, Hewie, Walsh for me.

Possibly a sad indictment of the club's recent direction of travel that none of the nominees played for the club this century.
  • Sponsored links:

• McBobbin said:

Smith, Powell and Walsh for me

Ditto
  • Stig said:

Agree with Henry and Forever. Smith, Hewie, Walsh for me.

Possibly a sad indictment of the club's recent direction of travel that none of the nominees played for the club this century.

I think there is a five year rule so no one is listed until at least five years after they have left the club so that makes it more difficult.

There have been 21st Century players elected in previous years like Kins, Rufus, Super Clive and SCP
  • Stig said:

Agree with Henry and Forever. Smith, Hewie, Walsh for me.

I think there is a five year rule so no one is listed until at least five years after they have left the club so that makes it more difficult.

There have been 21st Century players elected in previous years like Kins, Rufus, Super Clive and SCP
    Wont be difficult in five years what with our comings and goings!!
  • Smith

Hewie

Leaburn
  • edited March 2016
    Oakes
    Hewie
    Walsh

Far too young to have seen the pre 1950's nominations so I can only go from my late father's references to them and he thought well of Oakes. Furthermore in the write up, although Smith made more appearances in his career, Oakes was also a key member of the back to back promotion side of the 30's.
  • Phipps
    Hewie
    Walsh

• don't think Leaburn should be one of the nominations

Couldn't agree more what we're you thinking Henry. What about our record top flight goal machine Charlie Vaughan?

Has to be Norman Smith can't believe he's not already in the hall of fame.

Very hard choice but Hewie.

Walsh

• Charlie Vaughan was an unsuccessful nominee in one of the earlier years but did not get many votes. Before my time, but I remember being told by two people who saw him play that he was the greatest of them all. He will get another chance in future. All the names that have been nominated now or previously are worthy winners. The fun is determining the order they get elected.
  • edited March 2016
    I know we have a perverse masochistic love for all things Carl, and he played for us for year after year, after year, but Leaburn!, for the Hall of Fame??? Really??? Before too long well be nominating Talal El Khalej, Kim Grant, Kevin Smith, and bleeding Ralph Milne.
  • Colin Walsh for sure.
    2 x broken leg
    Scorer of iconic goal

Saw him in the away end with us at Pompey when we played there not long after he retired.

Top Fella.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2016
    Carl Leaburn - A graduate of our academy, Leaburn went on to earn cult-hero status in SE7. The imposing striker made 376 appearances for the club, scoring 66 goals, and can boast being the only man ever to score for the club in a European competition after finding the net in the Anglo-Italian Cup against Anconna in November 1993, just two minutes after coming off the bench!

Leaburn scored against Ancona not Anconna.FFS! :smile:
  • I would love a great servant like Phil Warman to be up there and what about Bob Curtis? Now he was a player
  • Smith
    Hewie
    Leabuuuuuurrrrn
  • Carlo was on the ballot last year and got second place to Mark Kinsella, so was automatically put back in again this year with two new names. Sure we all disagree on who should be elected and that is the fun of the thing. It would be a boring old world and Charlton Life would be a lot quieter if we all thought the same !!
  • Carlo was on the ballot last year and got second place to Mark Kinsella, so was automatically put back in again this year with two new names. Sure we all disagree on who should be elected and that is the fun of the thing. It would be a boring old world and Charlton Life would be a lot quieter if we all thought the same !!

No it wouldn't.

Phipps
    Powell
    Leaburn
  • daveaddick called for Phil Warman. Well he was on last season's ballot but did not get enough votes. Bob Curtis would be a good shout though. We need this years winners first though.

You know that's not a bad side!

Who'd be sub (sixties and seventies style)?

Peacock for old times sake?
  • edited April 2016
    Haven't seen the board but have we only been doing this hall of fame since 2012 then cos some of the names to vote on this year should already be there I would of thought?
  • Bartram

Croker
    Rufus
    Ufton
    Powell

Leary
    Welsh
    Kinsella
    Hobbis

Mendonca
    Hales

Sub: Peacock