Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Plane hijacker and why I love being British

So yesterday some nut hijacked an Egyptian plane which was then grounded on the tarmac in Cyprus with what he convinced was a suicide belt....thankfully the bloke was bluffing and it was fake.

But what I found brilliant about the story was the picture of a young Brit tourist posing next to the bemused hijacker with a massive goofy grin (before it was known to be a fake) as if he's on a night out with his pals. Good lad and made me chuckle ha ha.

First picture in the below news article ...

http://news.sky.com/story/1669149/grinning-brit-posed-with-plane-hijacker

Comments

• Options
    Reminded me of this...

• Options
    Ah yes, Fawlty Towers and now this
  • Options

Yeah I saw that photo, cracked up. So it's a fake your saying?

The other bit I found funny was the reaction from the Cyprus President. When he was told it was all to do with a woman he replied there's always a women involved.

Imagine if a politician over here had said something similar. There would have been a sense of humour failure of national proportions that would have also seen a complete meltdown of the self righteous that believe they have a monopoly on what is and isn't funny or offensive.
    I would of found it funny though. But yeah your right many would be calling for his head had he been one of our politicians. There would be shouts of go back to the 70s you bigot. They would say it's not right for politicians to say those kind of things, Which is an argument. but I would see it as a welcome change to have a politician with at least a resombalence of a sense of humour rather than just coming across as a bit of a joke for not such funny reasons.
  • Options

The belt was fake but the picture is real. The grinning loon didn't know the belt was fake though which I find great his sense of humour in the face of such adversity.
  • Options

The other bit I found funny was the reaction from the Cyprus President. When he was told it was all to do with a woman he replied there's always a women involved.

Imagine if a politician over here had said something similar. There would have been a sense of humour failure of national proportions that would have also seen a complete meltdown of the self righteous that believe they have a monopoly on what is and isn't funny or offensive.
    I would of found it funny though. But yeah your right many would be calling for his head had he been one of our politicians. There would be shouts of go back to the 70s you bigot. They would say it's not right for politicians to say those kind of things, Which is an argument. but I would see it as a welcome change to have a politician with at least a resombalence of a sense of humour rather than just coming across as a bit of a joke for not such funny reasons.
    Actually I think most people would have found it funny.

Well done to the lad (the Brit, not the hijacker).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Dazzler21 said:

That is not a selfie... A selfie is a picture one takes of one's self.

The first ever selfie was taken in 1839.

Well done to the bloke, if you're potentially about to die and have a sense of humour why not get a picture and get it on twitter/insta/facebook etc before you go.

Being described everywhere as a selfie, and most of the same articles include the quote from him about the stewardess taking the photo.

Daft!
  • Options

He's a health and safety assessor. Surely approaching a hijacker for an amusing Facebook selfie breaches some bylaw?

You wouldn't want to work anywhere he was responsible for would you? 'carry on everyone, no need to evacuate, it's just a bomb'

• Options
    Makes you wonder if he'd have let him hold his Kalashnikov while the picture was being taken if he'd had one if those as well...
  • Options
    We should have Egyptians doing the searching at thr valley. Oh what fun we could have.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    rina said:

He's a health and safety assessor. Surely approaching a hijacker for an amusing Facebook selfie breaches some bylaw?

You wouldn't want to work anywhere he was responsible for would you? 'carry on everyone, no need to evacuate, it's just a bomb'

"Wait, wait, wait, before you start running off, quick group picture! Okay great, now a wacky one, everyone do a pose!"
  • Options
    Apparently he was trying to get a better look at the belt!

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-35923820
  • Options
    Call me old fashion (old fashion Sam)

Why would any member of the public want to stand next to a guy who may have a Explosive belt on ?

unless his was a complete Dickhead ?

Depressing thought for the day;
    This guy will end up in the big brother house and portray himself us a fucking hero.

At a time of world insecurity, can't quite see the humour in this story.
    with so many people dying from Bombers.

why didn't the Arab guy just go to Relate ?( Is that a joke Sam ?)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Why would any member of the public want to stand next to a guy who may have a Explosive belt on ?

This guy will end up in the big brother house and portray himself us a fucking hero.

I tend to agree this was someone acting childish who could not comprehend the severity of the situation. The story I read said that he sent it to a WhatsApp group with something to the effect of "look at this lads" instead of trying to find a way to get it to security services (not easy, I admit).

That said, we all have our own ways of dealing with trauma. I know that mine is often humor, and it may well be the same for him. Like I said above, he's acted like a bit of a tit here, but it's really hard to say what we would do in a similar situation without experiencing it firsthand.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

I tend to agree this was someone acting childish who could not comprehend the severity of the situation. The story I read said that he sent it to a WhatsApp group with something to the effect of "look at this lads" instead of trying to find a way to get it to security services (not easy, I admit).

That said, we all have our own ways of dealing with trauma. I know that mine is often humor, and it may well be the same for him. Like I said above, he's acted like a bit of a tit here, but it's really hard to say what we would do in a similar situation without experiencing it firsthand.
    I know what I would of done. I would of taken the bloke down in one move, deactivated the bomb ( in this case not needed so it would save me 20 seconds) calmed the passenger's down, head to the cockpit, tell the pilot to step aside and fly the plane back on course. Have a Quick cuppa, a fondle of a stewardess and before you know it we're back safely on the ground.
    You realize they were already on the ground when the picture was taken? For the other passengers that would have been...confusing ;)
  • Options

Perhaps he just wanted to make sure the belt came under the health and safety law
  • Options

That's the bit that made it even funnier for me. Fair play to him. Pleased he was able to deal with a bloody horrendous potential situation, with a smile and sees of humour.

Reminded me of a time many years ago when I worked behind the cashiers area of Barclays head office. Someone spotted that a bag had been left tucked away by one of the desks in the banking hall. I went through to usher customers out as quickly as possible and my boss, from behind the counter, suggested I go and have a closer look. I told him to "f**k off and call the police & brigade". He seemed to think that as I'd spent a lot of time in Belfast, I'd know what I was looking at!!! Obviously long before anyone had heard the phrase - political correctness!
  • Options
    IF only the geezer was Belgian, Katien would get him in and in a grinding series of interviews lasting...oooah, 4 minutes, give him Head of HR at the club!
  • Options
    Sorry not funny - hardly a week goes by without ISIS murdering people and someone who hijacks a plane wearing a fake suicide belt is a suitable subject for a selfie and jokey news conference??!!

It must have been terrifying for the passengers and quite frankly getting a selfie with this man is just hugely inappropriate and pretty stupid.

That's not humour it's just ignorance!
  • Options
    I hope I'm not sitting next to you Saturday.