Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sale of Sparrows Lane

Suspect I'm going to get a load of "thanks Colin" comments off the back of this. Not been on here as much as usual recently so apologies if this is old news.

Has anyone heard anything about the possible sale of Sparrows Lane? My mate's sister, who is a very small time property developer, mentioned to me a few weeks ago that an estate agent had let slip to her that it was potentially available as a space for building flats. Estate agent said "I'm not supposed to mention that". Didn't pay much attention at the time, just something that was mentioned in passing whilst I was busy getting pissed at someone's birthday party.

Went to Dulwich against Tonbridge Angels today and got introduced to a friend of a friend. When I said I supported Charlton he said "I hear they're trying to sell their training ground in Eltham."

Is this common knowledge? Neither of these people have any interest in Charlton, so not reliable sources, but no agenda to spread rumours maliciously either.

Comments

• Options
    Is it possible that there's a portion of the training ground that isn't required for the player farm and is suitable for re-zoning and selling on?
  • Options
    I suspect they are confusing the sale of land by the University for the building flats.
  • Options
    No idea , but should a sale happen - could be RD asset stripping before buggering off!?
  • Options
    Never been to Sparrows Lane so don't know what the layout or space is. Was surprised to hear this rumour as Roland's only potentially positive input appears to be upgrading our academy, so would make more sense if it was just selling off a small plot. The secretive attitude of the estate agent seemed a bit suspicious though.
  • Options
    Almost impossible to get planning permission and is one of the main good things Roland and Katrien have been crowing about.

Unlikely
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Almost impossible to get planning permission and is one of the main good things Roland and Katrien have been crowing about.

Unlikely

Yes, it's designated green land, or whatever the technical term is
  • Options
    It's going to be a human centipede of players coming in and out.
  • Options
    Isn't the club doing a bit of their own development at Sparrows ?

Confusion somewhere here. Won't happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    None of the land in that area can be built on, other than in direct connection with sport and leisure.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

Is it possible that there's a portion of the training ground that isn't required for the player farm and is suitable for re-zoning and selling on?

That made me laugh (dryly).
  • Options
    Flats for some of the younger players
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Unlikely

Yes, it's designated green land, or whatever the technical term is
    Metropolitan Open Land. And yup, sounds very unlikely, unless a council is very keen.
  • Options
    When we were at the recent 'Training Ground Experience' we were told that part of the new building will containing rooms to allow players to sleep there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's selling it to Millwall. Training ground share.
  • Options
    Palace are looking for a training ground and they are loaded with Premiership money.
  • Options

T.C.E said:

stonemuse said:

Flats for some of the younger players

Like a prisoner of war camp. Tony Cajones controlling the watch tower.
    Reza's escaped - don't worry no loss, anyway he hasn't got the strength to climb over the fence.
    Hopefully that guy is on the inside looking out to make sure Reza does not come back.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

It is an outrage that it seems Roland views players as 'units' or pieces of meat.
    It is especially wrong when it comes to young players. The recent deployment of Lookman is one example.
    Talented young footballers have family, agents, clubs and other players all on their case, but they are young and inexperienced in the ways of the world. However they are people who deserve to be treated holistically as a person rather than as a chess piece or an animal.
    When Duchatelet first took over and bewildered players pitched up at Sparrows Lane, to be greeted by a bewildered Chris Powell it was indicative of a huge misunderstanding regarding this people based industry.
    Not every player will end up as a success, but they remain people. I know footballers thirst to get involved of their own free will, but the duty of care extends to both the successful and the less successful.
    I imagine Roland knows two things about 'his' footballers. Their names, and how much they're worth.

To be honest this applies to all Football clubs. Players of all ages and abilities are meat to be traded or cast off as required. In the past we have done it to our most senior and revered of players.
  • Options
    It most definitely isn't impossible to get planning permission to build on MGB land. Or GB land in general. It will become increasing more common over the next couple of years as councils scramble to meet their housing targets, with developers contributing to the local community via 106 agreements. This basically means all land really is up for grabs despite whatever label has been put on it.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

seth plum said:

It is an outrage that it seems Roland views players as 'units' or pieces of meat.
    It is especially wrong when it comes to young players. The recent deployment of Lookman is one example.
    Talented young footballers have family, agents, clubs and other players all on their case, but they are young and inexperienced in the ways of the world. However they are people who deserve to be treated holistically as a person rather than as a chess piece or an animal.
    When Duchatelet first took over and bewildered players pitched up at Sparrows Lane, to be greeted by a bewildered Chris Powell it was indicative of a huge misunderstanding regarding this people based industry.
    Not every player will end up as a success, but they remain people. I know footballers thirst to get involved of their own free will, but the duty of care extends to both the successful and the less successful.
    I imagine Roland knows two things about 'his' footballers. Their names, and how much they're worth.

To be honest this applies to all Football clubs. Players of all ages and abilities are meat to be traded or cast off as required. In the past we have done it to our most senior and revered of players.
    The difference this time is how remote Roland is. has he seem any match played at Sparrows lane let alone the Valley?
    I do agree that football clubs, and Charlton are guilty of this too, leave a lot to be desired in the way they employ young players, but maybe it is a fantasy that I have thought the we have had a bit of an edge in decent treatment of our youngsters since the days of Colin Clarke and then John Cartwright. A period of time that also saw the growth of our community and other initiatives.
    Anyway a remote Roland does not compare with owners who interact with our players more frequently in my view.